Parke County Indiana Biographies - F
Please send any additions or corrections to James D. VanDerMark
J. L. FARLEY, of the firm of Farley & Roach, has been a resident of Terre Haute for about twenty-three years. He is a native of Bath county, Kentucky. In 1831, when he was two years old, his people moved to Edgar county, Illinois, and there the early part of his life was spent in the country. At the age of sixteen years he went to Paris, Edgar county, and for four years learned his trade. He then went to Rockville, Indiana, where he remained about four years, and then removed to Westport, Missouri, spending two years there, and thence he came to Terre Haute, where he has since resided. Before the war of 1861-5 he and Mr. ROACH had begun business on their own account, but continued it but about one year, when they again sold out and began at "jour." work. Of the twenty-three years that he has been a resident of Terre Haute, he has been engaged in business on his own account about one half of the time. He and Mr. ROACH, his partner, have been associated together in business during this time and before when they were both working at "jour." work, they usually stuck together and worked for the same firm. Mr. FARLEY began learning his trade in Paris a poor boy, and wholly dependent upon his own resources. Now, though he may not be termed rich, he has, however, accumulated a fair property, and in company with Mr. ROACH, has by honorable and fair means built up and established a good trade, and of all the dealers in their line in Terre Haute there is not one bearing a better reputation than Farley & Roach. 1880 H. W. Beckwith History of Vigo & Parke Counties, Indiana, p. 238. - Beckwith, H. W. History of Vigo and Parke Counties, Indiana, Page 259
Harry T. FICKEN is a very successful photographer of Rockville and one of the leading business men of the county. He was born in 1857, Lawrenceburg, Indiana and was reared in New Orleans, Louisiana where he remained until he was 8. At this time he left home and went to Evansville, Indiana where he remained a short time, when he went to Seymour, sojourned there about 3 years and then went to Pittsburg. Subsequently he located in Cleveland, Ohio where he lived with his father until reaching 18. The father of our subject was Rev. John Ficken, a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was also a Major of the Louisiana Tiger of the state militia before the war. At the breaking out of this strife he was compelled to join the Confederate forces, but on the first opportunity, which presented itself at the battle of Shiloh, April 6, 1862 he purposely surrendered himself as a prisoner of war to the Union forces, immediately taking the oath of allegiance to the North and served until the close of the war, during which time he reached the rank of Major, honorable discharging his duties as such. After peace was declared Mr. Ficken returned home and soon afterward joined the Methodist Church, and entered the Ohio Conference, where he expected to study for the ministry. For convenience’ sake, he located one mile west of Pittsburg, where he afterward was pastor of the church to which he devoted all his time and energies for a season. Since then he has filled the pulpit at Cleveland, where he has been called 3 different times; the 4th Street Church, Pittsburg; Erie Street Church, Cleveland, Ohio and Cherry Street Congregation at Toledo. At the last named place he labored 4 years when he went to Greenville where he died in 1890. The Rev. Harry Ficken was only 19 when he was appointed local minister of a congregation of Marietta, Ohio and at the early age of 22 he was ordained to preach the Gospel. He was a graduate of a theological school and held some of the most prominent appointments in the Conference, having for his associates Peter Cartwright in the pioneer days of Ohio. He was a powerful minister of his day, and lived in accordance with his profession. He was born in Germany and was 4 when he came to Ohio with his father and settled at Marietta. Here he grew to manhood and finally became a minister in the town where he was raised. After leaving college Mr. Ficken went back to Cleveland, where he engaged in photography and remained 3 years when he went to Newark, Ohio and stayed on year. He then went to Cincinnati, where he remained working at his occupation about 3 years when he again moved to Sandusky City, Ohio. After following his business in this place for two years he went to Toledo, Ohio where he remained for about six months thence to Greenville, where he made his home until he went to Kenton, Ohio. After trying his fortune at Pittsfield, Ill in a short time he concluded to come to Rockville, and on October 26, 1886, he arrived here and commenced his business in partnership with C. M. Hengen under the style of Hengen & Ficken. At the end of 3 years duration they dissolved partnership and Mr. Ficken continued in business by himself. October 17, 1889 our subject was united in marriage to Mrs. Effie Allen, who was a daughter of Horace Smith. He was the owner of a line of packet boats on the Erie Canal. One child has blessed the home and hearthstone of Mr. and Mrs. Ficken, Flora. Mr. Ficken is a Republican in politics. In social life he belongs to the Knights of Pythias and is a loyal member of the Rockville light Artillery, in which he has held the office of 2nd Lt. He is now Commissary Sgt of the 1st regiment Artillery of Indiana and has held the position two years. In religious affairs his wife is a Presbyterian in which denomination she works harmoniously. Mr. Ficken is an excellent manager very ably conducting his business, and is considered one of the best photographers of the town. He has a membership in the American Photograph Association with which he meets regularly. He possesses a clear, vigorous intellect, is progressive in his ideas, and has a full share of that business acumen so necessary to success in any walk of life. He and his wife are popular in social circles, and have many warm friends. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 527
FINNEY, Wesley, farmer, Annapolis, was born in Lawrence County, Indiana, May 10, 1823 and is the son of Joseph Finney, who was a native of Delaware, born September 18, 1784 and died in Parke County 1867. He came to Lawrence County Indiana in 1813 and to Parke County 1826. He served in the War of 1812 under Gen. Jackson. His wife was Polley LONG, a native of Virginia and died in Parke County about 1873. The subject of this sketch was married in 1850 to Mary M. HINSHAW daughter of Jesse and Hannah Hinshaw, who were early settlers of Parke. Mrs. Finney was born in Parke County October 28, 1829. Their family consists of 8 children: Samantha J; Mary C; Anna E; John W; Polly H; Louisa M; Daniel W and Clara E. Mr. Finney has long since been a member of the United Brethren Church, in which he has taken an active part in the cause of religion, having been an exhorter for a number of years. Mr. Finney has been honest in all his dealings, and is a man that is respected by all who know him. Taken from: Page 287 History of Parke County IN; J. H. Beadle, Chicago: H. H. Hill, 1880 *
* There are a few errors in the above per : Lynn Finney Stuter (direct line descendant of Joseph Finney and Rachel Barkley)
1. Wesley Finney's father, Joseph Finney, born September 18, 1784, was not a "native of Delaware". Joseph Finney was actually born in Orange County, North Carolina. He never lived in Delaware. His father, Joseph Finney (md 1st Rachel Barkley, mother of Joseph and Joshua, md 2nd Ann Kester), also of Parke County, Indiana, grandfather of Wesley Finney, was born April 2,1765, Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware. The mix-up on this seems to come in a long lineage of Joseph's – people have a hard time keeping them all straight.
2. Polly Long's name was actually Mary Long; she was called "Polly". Family legend is that she was Cherokee Indian. She died 27 Sept 1872.
3. Wesley and Mary Matilda (Hinshaw) Finney actually had nine children – missing from the list is James S. Anderson who died at the age of 4 years.
FISHER, Charles E., Catlin, farmer, was born November20, 1856, and is the son of Daniel A. and Mary Ann (MARSHALL) Fisher, whose sketch appears elsewhere. Charles Fisher remained at home till May 16, 1878, when he was married to Margaret E. JUSTUS, daughter of Giles M. and Huldah (FORTNEY) Justus. She was born in Wabash Township, Parke County April 10, 1861. They have one child, Aquilla L, born April 8, 1879. Mr. and Mrs. Fisher are beginning life's labors together in sunshine. They have a nice home of 40 acres. Mrs. Fisher's father, Giles M. Justus, died at Camp Calhoun, in the war of the rebellion. He was one of the braves of Co. A, 85th Ind. Vols. Mr. Fisher is decidedly republican. Beadle, J. H. . 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana (from Historic notes on the Wabash Valley and History of Vigo & Parke County) Chicago: H. H. Hill & N. Iddings, Publishers
FISHER, Daniel D., farmer, Rockville was born in Brown County, Ohio September 17, 1817, and is the son of George and Hannah. His father was a blacksmith by trade, and was born in Pa and died 1848. He was in the war of 1812. His mother was a member of the Presbyterian Church. Owing to the defective common school system Mr. Fisher had a very limited education. In 1829 he came to Parke Co. He was married October 23, 1844 to Mary A. MARSHALL. They had 9 children: Theodore M; Oliver P; Victoria; John; Sarah L; Charles E; George F; Samuel L and Rovilla. Mr. Fisher began farming in 1844, with not much capital. He now has a well-improved farm of 160 acres. His son Theodore M. Was in the army. He enlisted December24, 1863 in Co. F, 126th Regiment, 11th Ind. Vol. Calvary. He served until the close of the war. Mr. F. Has traveled through Ill, Iowa, Mo, Ks and has visited Niagara Falls, crossed the great lakes, and traveled in Canada. Mr. Fisher is a republican, and a highly respected gentleman.
Daniel D. FISHER has been a resident of Indiana since his 12th year, or since 1829, and is therefore on one the oldest inhabitants and pioneers of Parke County. He makes his home on Section 26, Adams Township, a portion of the farm his father entered from the government. He at one time owned 220 acres and now after deeding some to his children, he still owns 130 and has 45 acres of timberland. The rest of the land is under good cultivation and yields an abundant income to the owner. Our subject was born September 13, 1817. He was a son of George Fisher, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1780. He in turn was a son f George Fisher. Our subject's maternal grandfather participated in the battle of Bunker Hill and did valiant service. When our subject's father was 14 he ran away from home and was married in 1804 to Miss Hannah WRIGHT after which he located in Brown Co, Ohio where he was an early settler. He purchased land and lived there until 1829 when he removed to Parke County with his wife and 10 children, locating on Section 26, Adams Township, where he entered two quarter section of land and proceeded to clear and improve them until his death in 1848, two years prior to which his wife departed this life. Their children all lived to adult years but only two are now living, our subject and his brother, Lewis. When George Fisher came to Indiana the land was in a perfectly wild state and game abounded. He was a great hunter and kept the family well supplied with deer and wild turkeys. His six sons were of great assistance to him in clearing the land and raising crops. The deceased children were: George; Samuel; John; Robert; Rachel, wife of Lewis Silcott; Mary, wife of Hiram Ball; Almira, Mrs. Samuel Griffin; and Alazana, who married James Skank. The father was in the War of 1812. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church in good standing and fellowship and was highly esteemed by all as a worthy man and genial, kind neighbor. It was a great event in the life of our subject when he with his parents, brothers and sisters, started from Ohio in wagons for their 17-days journey to Indiana. Here he grew to manhood and helped to develop the farm in the wilderness which is still his home. As the schools of that early day were few and poorly conducted, his privileges in an educational direction were of the most limited description, so to his own efforts is due the standing he has held for years in the community as a man of intelligence and wide information. On the 23rd of October, 1844, Mr. Fisher married Mary Ann, daughter of John Marshall, a native of North Carolina, who on coming to this state settled in the southern part. This was in 1821 and after remaining there for about 5 years became a resident of this county. Mrs. Fisher was called to her final rest August 2, 1879. Directly after his marriage Mr. Fisher located on the place where he has lived 63 years. Of his ten children, one died in childhood and seven are now living: Theodore, who lives in Terre Haute; John, a prosperous farmer of Wabash Township, Charles who is married and is now making his home with our subject; George, of this township and Lincoln, who lives in Omaha, is a traveling auditor of the Western Freight Association. The deceased members of the family are: Oliver P; Victoria, who as the wife of John Bryant; and Joseph A. In a measure Mr. Fisher is now retired from the active duties of life on account of his advancing years and has relegated the cares of his farm to his son, who lives with him. He is an interesting conversationalist, and his stories of the hardships which he encountered in the pioneer days are full of interest. Most of their goods were transported on the river and Mr. Fisher himself made nine trips to New Orleans, and assisted in building a good many faltboats. Too much cannot be said in favor of the sturdy founders and early settlers of the new states, who courageously overcame all difficulties and have handed down to their posterity the fruits of their labors and chief among those to whom the prosperity of Parke County is due is our subject. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 177
FISHER, Jacob, the eldest son of John and Nancy Fisher, was born on a farm in Brown County OH, on the 20th day of April 1808. The early part of his life was spent at the place of his birth, where he received a common school education. On the 20th day of August 1829, he was married to Nancy NEWELL. In the fall of the same year he removed to Parke County Indiana and lived for 2 months in the northwestern part of the county, but settled permanently in Adams Township. When Mr. Fisher bought the farm where he still lives, his nearest neighbor was 3 miles away and he put up a tent in which he lived from December till February and in his own words, "Was lulled to sleep at night by the howling of the wolves." By hard work, good management and close attention to business, Mr. Fisher has added to his original purchase of 160 acres of land until he has now a splendid farm of 500 acres most of which he has cleared himself. Mr. Fisher's first wife died in 1848 and he was again married in 1849 to Mary BROWN. (taken from the 1874 Parke Co. Indiana Atlas p 33)
FISHER, Lewis W., farmer, Rockville, is the son of George and Hannah Fisher and was born in Brown County Ohio May 5, 1828. His father was in the war of 1812; was a blacksmith and was born in Pa and died in 1848. His mother was a member of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Fisher had only the common school education of his day. He was married September 2, 1853 to Rebecca MARSHALL daughter of Judge John Marshall. Their children are: Edmund, born August 2, 1855; Lorenzo Dow, November 14, 1859, died August 16, 1861; Mary August 22, 1856; Emily A, January 29, 1861; Clementine, January 1, 1863; Hulda L, October 22, 1864, died September 1, 1865; Albert E, November 25, 1868; and Dunward M June 5, 1875. His son Edmund was married September 24, 1879 to Miss M. HIXON. Mary A. Was married October 16, 1879 to Robert McCord. Mr. Fisher has traveled through several of the Western states and visited Niagara Falls and Canada. He has been a successful farmer, beginning life with very little capital, and now has a very improved farm of 260 acres. He and his wife are both Members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Fisher has been an elder in that church since 1860. He is a republican and a respected Christian man and citizen.
Lewis W. FISHER is among the oldest settlers now living in Parke County in the welfare of which he has taken so leading a part that its history would be sadly lacking without some tribute to him. His homestead on Section 26, Adams Township is finely improved there being about 2000 rods of tile on the place. Of his 280 acres, 190 are a part of the old homestead and 190 in the place where his home is situated. 90 acres belonging to him adjoin this on Section27 and of his entire land 200 acres are well improved. He makes a specialty of raising sheep of the Cotswold variety and keeps other high grade stock. Our subject is the son of George and Hannah WRIGHT Fisher and was born in Brown County, Ohio May 5, 1828. The following year, when he was an infant of 18 months, his father removed to Indiana, locating on the very farm where our subject still resides, which property was entered from the Government. Our subject helped his father in clearing the farm and made this place his home until his marriage, with the single exception of 2 years when he lived with his sister, Mrs. Ball of Florida Township September 2, 1852 he married Rebecca H. Marshall, whose birth occurred in Rockville, Indiana in 1836. Her father, John Marshall who was an early settler of this county came here from North Carolina and kept a store at Rockville in those days afterward removing to a farm in this township. He was Probate Judge of this county for a number of years. Soon after his marriage Mr. Fisher came to the place where he now lives and has since resided. Of his nine children, six are still living: Edmund who married Miss Martha Hickson is a farmer of Putnam County, and has seven children; Emily became the wife of John HAVEY who is a farmer of Adams Township and has been a teacher; Ida May, wife of Thomas WRIGHT a United States Postal Clerk on the Big Four railroad lives in Indianapolis; Clarentine lives at home as do also the two younger, Albert and Durward. Angeline, who was the wife of Robert McCord, died in Kansas in 1891. Mr. Fisher was a member of the Farmers' Alliance at one time and is an active worker in the ranks of the Republican Party. He is an elder in the Presbyterian Church and has been for years much interested in Sunday school work, having been Superintendent of the one at New Bethel, which church he helped to build and was one of the prime movers and supporters. Since 1861 he has been an Elder in the denomination his wife and daughters also belonging to the same church. For many years he was a School Director and the justice which he meted out to the frequently imposed-upon district school teacher is shown by the fact that two of those in his district taught for 6 or 8 years. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 172
FISHER, Sylvester J. was born on a farm near the bluffs and peaks of Rock River, in Parke County, Indiana March 1, 1842, just 9 miles southeast of the Shades of Death arched by the Devil's Backbone. These natural and wonderful formations at that day excited very little interest but now are visited by thousands of tourists yearly. He was the Benjamin of 5 sons of Judge James M. and Elizabeth Fisher. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm and until age 15 attended the common district school presided over by the typical "Hoosier" schoolmaster, who boarded around with the scholars. He became quite proficient in "spellin, readin, writen, cipherin and grammar." The teacher in Possum Bottoms (the classical name of this district) owing to the scarcity of coin and paper money often received his pay in the products of the soil; he considered himself specially favored if some of the scholars paid for their "larnin' in fowls, chickens, geese, etc. At the age of 16 young Fisher was sent to Waveland Academy (10 miles distance) and remained there 3 years in search of "more knowledge' he paid for his tuition in cutting cord wood at 25 cents per cord, building fires in the classrooms and ringing the Academy bell. During his stay at the Academy he with three other boys, kept "bachelor's Hall" and lived on the "fat" of his father's farm. At the close of these years his father sold his farm and moved to Mattoon, Illinois to which place he soon followed, bidding farewell to the bluffs and peaks, the hills and dales of his native county and state. Still his "thirst" for wisdom had not abated and in 1859 he attended Westminster College at Fulton, Missouri. entering the sophomore class, he was graduate din 1861 and returned to Mattoon where his parents lived. While at Fulton Fisher was an ardent Republican and follower of "Abraham" the only one in Fulton in the Kingdom of Callawy. The presidential election took place in November 1860; Lincoln, Douglas and Bell were candidates for the presidency. Young Fisher although two years under age, attempted to vote and was arrested b the city marshal and taken before a justice of the peach who after hearing the facts said unto young Fisher, as king David said unto his servants who had suffered indignities at the hands of Hanum, "Tarry, young man in the vales of Jericho until your beard be grown." He still thirsted and in 1862 and 1863 attended law school in Chicago. In 1864, May 6, he was admitted to the bar under examination of Justice Sidney Breese of the Illinois Supreme Court. The same year he was elected to the office of police magistrate in Mattoon and served 5 years in that capacity. Resigning he went to Kansas City remained 5 years and moved to St. Louis November 1874. In December of that same year he opened a real estate office at No. 714 Chestnut Street under the name and style of Fisher & Co. In 1878 the Real Estate Savings Bank made an assignment and he was appointed by the circuit court assignee and required to give bond in the sum $400,000. He qualified and wound up the affairs of the bank in 1881, paying depositors 79 cents on the dollar. He united with the Presbyterian Church while at Waveland, Indian in 1857 and has always been known as Presbyterian. He admonates "hypocrisy and cant," and hence does not exhibit and special (outward) enthusiasm in the discharge of his religious or church duties. He follows his chosen profession (selling real estate) and always sticks close to his text and at this writing he is still a Presbyterian and is still transacting business at the same old stand, 714 Chestnut Street, St. Louis, Missouri. Mr. Fisher married Miss Alice SYMMES, June 7, 1865 at Mattoon. Miss Symmes was a daughter of Harrison Symmes, MD, granddaughter of Capt. John Cleves Symmes, USA; great granddaughter of John Cleves Symmes, a distinguished jurist who was a delegate to the Continental Congress in 1785 and for distinguished services during the Revolution was granted by Congress a large tract of land on the Ohio and Miami Rivers and was virtually the founder of North Bend, Indiana and Cincinnati. He died in the latter city in 1814. - Encyclopedia of the History of St. Louis. NY: South Historical Society, 1899, Page 787
J. A. FOOTE, seed merchant, Terre Haute, has for many years been identified with the business industries of the city of Terre Haute. He was born in Clermont county, Ohio, in 1829, and at the age of four years, or in 1833, he was taken by his parents to Rockville, Parke county, were his father became a resident and engaged in the mercantile business. There as Mr. FOOTE grew to manhood a portion of his time was spent in his father's store. In 1852 he began in the dry goods business in Terre Haute, which he continued for a time, then moved to the country, but not finding country life agreeable, he again returned to Terre Haute and embarked in the grocery trade. This he also discontinued, and in 1866 began on a not extensive scale an exclusive business in flower, field and garden seeds. Finding the public willing to patronize a well stocked establishment of that character, he increased his facilities until at present he is occupying No. 306 Main street, a building 14 feet front by 65 feet deep, three floors and basement, all of which room he has supplied with all necessary varieties of goods pertaining to the seed trade. It is a business requiring much study to the adaptability of variety with climate. This ground of experimenting has been gone over thoroughly by Mr. FOOTE, enabling him, after fourteen years of study and experience, to do a safe and satisfactory business. His is not only the exclusive seed store in Terre Haute, but also the only establishment properly termed a complete seed store in the State of Indiana. Mr. FOOTE is a gentleman highly respected by those who know him, both in business circles and in private life--a respect due him, as to others like him who have spent a life of honesty, industry and sobriety
FORBUS, Sarah H. Portland Mills, was born in SC in 1806 and is the daughter of Stephen and Mary (Martin) Forbus. She was educated in the pioneer schools of SC. She was married to Thomas Forbus in 1830 and then directly immigrated to this county, settling on Little Raccoon, where they remained till her husband's death in 1868, when she moved upon Section 36, where she now possesses a beautiful farm of 77 acres. They had one child, now deceased. Mr. Forbus was captain under the old muster law, both in SC and IN. His father was a pensioned hero of the revolution. Some of his accoutrements, a powder horn, shot pouch and coat used by him in the struggle for liberty, can be seen at A. Forbus' house. Sarah H. Forbus' father was a soldier in the war of 1812, and fought in the memorable battle of New Orleans. Mrs. Forbus has been a member of the Associate Presbyterian church for the past 20 years. She remembers well the trials and hardships of pioneer life. The howl of the wild wolf and the hiss of the rattlesnake are as fresh in her ears as though she heard them but yesterday. (Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill)
John FOREMAN. The agricultural districts of this great commonwealth are the home of scores of worthy men whose lives have been spent in such a manner as to win the respect of those with whom they associate, while their well-directed efforts have resulted in comfortable homes and many enjoyments. In Parke County frequent representatives of this class may be found and one of them is he whose history will be outlines in these paragraphs. His home is located on Section 32, Washington Township, where he has a thoroughly tilled farm, whereon may be found such buildings as are made necessary by the extent of his work, or such as will increase the comfort of his home life. Mr. Foreman was born in Butler County, Ohio in 1818, and is the son of Jacob Foreman. The father was a native of Pa, and lived on a farm all his life, where he reared a family of 7, of whom but two survive: David of Newcastle, Indiana and John our subject. The latter began life for himself when but a mere lad. He turned his face toward the west and came with another family to Indiana remaining at Arbana for a few years when he came to Parke County. As a life companion Mr. Foreman chose Nancy Wells, a native of Jefferson Co, Indiana to whom he was married in 1858. She became the mother of 4 children: Louisa, Ormanda, Maria and Wallace. At first Mr. Foreman met with many discouragements, but being a man of push, pluck and perseverance, he encountered all these difficulties with a brave heart and after working by the month for a time, his original sum of $10 was increased until he was enabled to rent a piece of property. At this juncture he took until himself a wife, whom we have mentioned. By living economically and attending strictly to his pursuit Mr. Foreman finally purchased a farm of 265 acres, a portion of which he divided among his children. He owes his present prosperity solely to his own industry and in his career he has shown himself possessed of those faculties that are requisite to success -- sagacity far-reaching forethought and a practical tenacity of purpose. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 505
FULLENWIDER, William Harrison farmer and stock raiser, Waveland, is a native of Parke County and was born May 23, 1840. He is the son of David and Elizabeth MOXLEY Fullenwider, natives of Kentucky, who immigrated to Parke County in 1839, and settled in Green Township. William H. Fullenwider was married December 24, 1863 to Nannie HANNA, daughter of William and Mary WATSON Hanna, both natives of Kentucky and pioneer settlers of Montgomery County, Indiana. She is one of a family of 14 children. Mr. Fullenwider by this married has 3 children: Oscar L; Earnest W and Earl M. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church at Waveland. For the past 6 years he has filled the office of deacon in the church. He is a republican straight. He was in the 55th Indiana Volunteers and was wounded at Richmond. He has a farm of 190 acres, well suited to stock raising and his wife has a farm of 71 acres. She was educated at Waveland and Ladoga. Owing to sickness, she failed to complete the last term of the course at the latter place. She taught school two years. He completed the academic course at Waveland and graduated at Hanover College in 1865, with the degree of A. B. During his life he has taught school one year. (Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill)
David FULLINWIDER, who was one of the most prominent farmers of Parke County, now resides on Section 4, Greene Township, where he and his sons are engaged in raising principally wheat and corn. Besides growing cereals, he devotes considerable attenti9on to livestock, having kept some of the best varieties, and does a large business in that line. On the farm may be found at the present time about three hundred sheep, the majority being of the Shopshire breed. Mr. Fullinwider takes a great interest in everything relating to the community, and has used his influence for the extension of railroads through the county. He gave $500 to help the construction of the Monon Route, and was also very liberal in getting the Vandalia Line through, being one of the local directors. This was at the time when it seem3ed as though the whole enterprise would be a total failure. His township, particularly, owes a debt of gratitude to him for the building of the Vandalia Road. He is also a promoter of the building of the gravel roads. In Shelby County, Kentucky, Mr. Fullinwider's birth occurred on October 15, 1814. He was a son of Jacob Fullinwider, who was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, and was the son of Rev. Peter Fullinwider, a preacher of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, who came to this country form Switzerland and was in F. Rice, on Buffalo Creek, Washington County, Pennsylvania, where the settlers were attacked by one hundred braves. The Indiana, who were repulsed, loaded a wagon with flax, intending to push it up to the block-house and set it on fire, but a rain coming on wet the flax and it would not burn, so they were foiled in their attempt to burn the fort. Our subject's father was born in 1765, removed to Kentucky about the year 1796, and was married two years later, in Pennsylvania, to Miss Catherine Winter. Returning to Shelby County, Kentucky, where they were among the earliest settlers for a number of years, he and his family were obliged to make their place of abode for two years in a blockhouse or fortress. During the War of 1812 he served under Anthony Wayne in the Northwest, and in the frontier campaign he took part in the battles of River Raisin and Tippecanoe. He entered land of the Government in Shelby County, on which he bought up his large family of sixteen children, fifteen of whom lived to be fifty years of age. At the present time the following survive: Dr. Samuel, of Creston, Iowa, who is nearly ninety years old; David; Henry W., a farmer in Kentucky; and Mrs. Catherine Mount, of Crawfordsville, Indiana. The father was a large landowner, a Whig, and strong Anti-Slavery man. He was a leading member of the Presbyterian Church, in which he was an Elder. His death occurred on the farm he had entered in Shelby County, in the year 8147, aged eighty-two. The deceased brothers and sisters of our subject are as follows: Rev. Peter Fullinwider; John, who was reared in Washington County, Pennsylvania, as was also his elder brother; Elizabeth, the wife of Lewis Beatty, a tanner; Ann, wife of Asa Tucker, a farmer in Kentucky; Eleazer, an agriculturist of Montgomery County, Indiana; Mary, wife of Robert Cooper, who lived in Henry County, Kentucky; Lucinda, Mrs. Mount, who died in Montgomery County; Christopher, a farmer, who was one of the '49ers in California, and whose death occurred at Cedar Rapids, Iowa; Gamaliel; Nancy, wife of Henry Harris, a farmer in Shelby County, Kentucky; and Jacob C., a farmer in Henderson County, Kentucky. Mr. Fullinwider was educated in the old log schoolhouse of pioneer days in the Blue Grass region, and remained by the old fireside until 1838, when, on October 9, he wedded Elizabeth C. Moxley. She was a daughter of George and Catharine Moxley, of Shelby County, Kentucky. They were both members of the Presbyterian Church, and Mr. Moxley was a prominent farmer and active businessman of that county. Both he and his wife died in Shelby County. Mr. Moxley was a Virginian by birth, his wife from Bourbon County, Kentucky. He was politically an old-line Whig. Mrs. Fullinwider was educated in the schools of her native county. The year following their marriage the young couple came to Indiana, settling in Greene Township, Parke County, where the young man bought a farm of two hundred acres, which was one of the best-improved farms in that region. For twelve years he made his home there, afterward making a permanent settlement on an adjoining farm, where he now lives. To Mr. and Mrs. Fullinwider were born ten children, five of whom grew to maturity. The same number still survives. Those living are William H., who is in the grocery business at Waveland, and was in the Union service during the late war, being wounded and taken prisoner at Richmond, and subsequently released; Mary C., who married Sidney B. Davis, who is recognized as the leading attorney of Terre Haute; Samuel Winter, who lives at home; Emma, wife of Canby Speed, of Louisville, Kentucky, who is engaged in the building and loan association business, and is a nephew of old General Canby and of Atty.-Gen. Speed: and Irving, who married Miss Rhoda Hobsen, and lives at home. The deceased members of the family are George M., who died aged eight years; Susan O., whose death occurred on the same day at the age of six years; Samson E., who was about five years of age; Martha N., and Lillie, who were each about three years of age. For sixty-five years the gentleman of whom we write has been a member of the Presbyterian Church, and has for many long years been Elder. In early days he was a Henry Clay Whig, and since the organization of the Republican Party has been a stanch supporter of its principles. During the war he was a stanch Union man. When the second church at Waveland, the Presbyterian, was being constructed, he gave the generous sum of $1,000 to the cause, and has always been a very liberal supporter of the church, foreign missions and all benevolent enterprises. He voted for the establishment of our present public school system in this state, and has always been a friend to schools, seminaries, colleges and religious works that would tend to advance Christ's kingdom in the world. The Presbytery of Crawfordsville appointed him a commissioner, and in 1860 he attended the General Assembly of his denomination at Rochester, New York. He was the owner of the first reaper of the region, buying one about 1853. The career of Mr. Fullinwider has always been marked by the utmost integrity and the highest sense of honor. He needs no eulogy, as his good works are his best memorial. - Taken from Portrait & Biographical record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Co IN - Chapman Brothers, Page 235
FULWIDER, John, mechanic, Rockville, was born in Augusta Co, Virginia August 10, 1819. His father was a member of the united Brethren Church; was a Whig, then republican and lived to nearly 84 years old. Mr. Fulwider had the advantages of the common school of his day.; He moved to Parke County in 1855. He first learned wagon and buggy making; followed that for 16 years; then learned the carpenter trade and afterward went into the sawmill business. Mr. Fulwider was first married to Lucinda C. CRAIG May 3, 1843. They had two children, William A, who was a young man of good character and industrious habits. He enlisted in the 43d Ind. Volunteers in August 1861 and served to the close of the war. He had a good record, and did good duty as a soldier for his country. After the war he was engaged in the sawmill business in Rockville. In the spring of 1879 he moved to Audrain, Mo. The other child is Mary E. Mr. Fulwider was married the second time to Mary M. BEARD. They have had 10 children: Martha J; John W; Emma L; Hester L; Samuel C; Charles L; who now resides in Neb; David B; Walter S; Edward P and Luella. Mrs. Fulwider was born January 16, 1827 in Rockbridge County, VA; near the natural bridge. Her father and mother were members of the united Brethren church. Her father was a class leader in the church and died in Rockville. Mrs. Fulwider is a good Christian woman and works hard and does all she can for the good of her family and children. He joined the same day Harrison was inaugurated president March 4, 1841. He is a republican in politics, and a good, honest, Christian man. He has been unfortunate in business, but has always maintained his integrity and honesty.
FUSON, Stephen K., minister in the Missionary Baptist Church, Rockville, 3rd child of Adoniram J. And Elizabeth (TAYLOR) Fuson was born in Crawford County, Illinois, February 28, 1842. At the age of 13 he became afflicted with a white swelling, which confined him to the house most of the time for 3 years. He was finally cured by Dr. DIXON of Crawford Co. This interfered with his education. His father was poor, the schools were in low condition and altogether his advantages were very limited. At 17 he professed religion and united with the church. In his 19th year he was married to Miss Sarah J. PARKER, who was born in the same co. As himself, April 12, 1842. This event occurred August 23, 1860. They have had 4 children, all of whom are dead: John W; Sarah E; Alice E and Samuel S. Mr. F. Enlisted August 13, 1862 in Co E 98th Illinois Vols. Early in 1863 Wilder's famous brigade of mounted infantry was formed at Murfreesboro Tennessee and the 98th constituted a part of the organization. Our subject fought first at Chickamauga, and then at Missionary Ridge and served throughout the Atlanta campaign, doing a great deal of hard duty and fighting. On the eve of Sherman's departure for the sea this command turned over their horses to Kilpatrick and went back to Louisville by rail to be remounted. They became attached to Gen. Wilson's expeditionary force and early in 1865 went to Alabama. April 2 they approached Selma. The place was defended by Gen. Forrest, inside of fortifications. A portion of the federal force had to be detached to hold in check Gen. Taylor who threatened the rear. Wilson drew up his command in order of battle, and riding along the line addressed the a few inspiriting words to the soldiers at the same time telling them that in the coming combat the only alternative was victory or death and that was a desperate hand to hand encounter. The federals had to remove the sharpened stakes and chevaux de frise as they advanced under a galling fire. The place was taken with heavy loss on both sides. This was the last fighting done by these troops. T he command moved in a few days for Macon, which surrendered on its appearance. May 22 the expedition headed for Nashville, where our subject was mustered out, June 27, 1865. During his whole service he had not been absent in hospital more than a week and was never wounded, though at Chickamauga his face was burned in two places by bullets. Not long before he volunteered he bought a timber farm of 80 acres, mostly on credit. On his return he paid for it with money saved principally from his wages in the army. In the spring of 1866 he sold it, with the intention of going west, but lost his money by loaning it to a company that failed. He had for some time felt it his duty to enter the ministry and this loss came at the right moment to decide him to this course. He labored through the week and preached on Sundays nearly two years; but sensible of his deficiencies, and greatly embarrassed by them, and having his concern freshly awakened for the work of the ministry, with the consent of his wife he determined to sell his little remaining property, about $400 worth and get an education. He began at Shurtleff College, Alton, Illinois in the early winter of 1867-8 and attended this school 3 years, two years of the time being in the theological department. During this period Mr. F. Worked as an ordinary laborer, at anything he could get to do, being obliged at times to be absent from his recitations 4 or 5 days in succession, though never falling behind in his studies. He was assisted in his many undertaking by his wife, who labored for his success with all her strength of hand and heart, displaying a pure wifely instinct and true devotion. It is of such stuff that the useful are always made. In 1870 Mr. F. Entered the regular work of the ministry. He took an appointment for a few months at Staunton, Macoupin, Co., Illinois and in the fall came to IN, locating at Shelburne, Sullivan Co. In 1874 he moved to Bellmore, and in 1867 to Rockville, where he is permanently settled. His work comprises the appointment at Hollandsburg, where he has been Pastor 9 years; at Goshen and New Discovery being now on his 6th year at these places; and at Salem Church in Montgomery County, this having been added to his work the present year. Mr. F. Has two brothers, also laboring in Missionary Baptist pulpits. His father and grandfather were ministers in the same denomination.