Parke County Indiana Biographies - J
Please send any additions or corrections to James D. VanDerMark
JACK, James H. farmer and preacher, Portland Mills, was born in Warren County, Ohio June 1, 1804 and is the son of John T. And Eliza (SMITH) Jack. They both were natives of Pa. The former came to Kentucky with his parents when 7 years of age, and the latter when an infant. James H. Jack's grandmother on his father's side was Sarah (HOLIDAY) Jack. His grandfather on his mother's side of the family was Elijah Smith. His mother was Hannah TODD, a native of Virginia. He was married to Barbara WYOTT, now deceased, May 11, 1822. By this union they had one child, Susan P., now deceased, who was married to John ELINGER and upon her death left two sons. Mr. Jack was married a second time to Mary SELLERS, of Ohio , May 15, 1825, and by this marriage he became the father of 5 children: Martin S, married to Susan LANNING; John T. To Elizabeth J. BLAKE; Adam S to Sarah E. HOOKER; Mary E. To Isaac N. BLAKE; and Eliza J to James P. SOWDER. His second wife died April 7, 1872. Mr. Jack was married a third time to Nancy M. CRAWFORD September 14, 1873. In politics he is a democrat straight and cast his first vote for Jackson the second time he was a candidate for the presidency. He has taken a very active part in church matters. He was a member of the old order of Christians known as Reformers, established by Stone. When he came to this county there was no church of his kind near, and he united with that branch of the church sometimes known as Campbellites. He has taken a very active part in the erecting of two church buildings for his people in Portland Mills. He took almost all the responsibility of building the present Parkville church house upon himself. He has filled every office in the church to which he belongs, officiating as minister quite frequently, though he never turned his attention particularly in that direction. He is one of those characters who believe "wherever there is a will there is a way," and his will ever has been to execute the demands of duty. He now has a very rich farm of 320 acres, in what was known in the early times of this township as the Linn swamps. He held the office of trustee for 7 years. He has always been known as one of the most industrious men in the country. To illustrate this, his neighbors say he used to burn log heaps under water. (Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill)
JACK, James H. was born in Ohio in 1804, and came to Greene Township, in the formative period of this county and settled in what was known as Linn Thicket. He was a farmer preacher in the old order of Christians, known as Reformers, established by Barton W. STONE. When he came to this county, there being no church near, he united with the branch of the church now called Disciples, and took an active part in erecting two church buildings at Portland Mills and one at Parkeville. He frequently preached, but did not devote his whole time to the ministry. He was a man of high honor and raised a family of several children: Martin S; John T; Adam S; Mary e who married Isaac N. BLAKE and Elizabeth J, who married James SOWDER. (Taken from: Atlas Map of Parke Co IN. By AT Andreas. Chicago: Lakeside Building for Clark & Adams St, 1874
Martin S. JACK resides on Section 26, Green Township, Parke County and is one of the most clever and industrious farmers of this township. He is a native of Warren County, Ohio being born March 5, 1827 to James H. and May E. Jack. The father was also born in Warren County, Ohio June 1, 1804 and was the son of John Thomas Jack who was born in Lexington, Kentucky, September 5, 1777. He married Eliza Smith, whose parents had settled among the Indians in Kentucky on a tract of land on which they built a rude hut. Later they purchased another large tract nearby. Mrs. Abraham Lincoln was a 2nd cousin to Mrs. Smith, whose mother's name was Todd, and Samuel Jack was a brother of John Thomas Jack and born November 12, 1812. John Thomas Jack moved from Kentucky to Ohio and settled in Warren County about 30 miles from Cincinnati in the Miami Valley. There he lived until 1828 when he came to Indiana with our subject's father to help him move to this county, but on account of not liking it very well because of its dense timber land, he moved to Tippecanoe County where he entered land of the Government and there lived until the time of his death. He was the father of 12 children, one died in infancy. The father of our subject was the oldest child and all but two of his brothers and sisters reached majority. John Jack was a Justice of the Peace for many years while in Ohio. The father, James was born in Warren County, Ohio in 1804. There he met Miss Barbara Wyatt to whom he was wedded May 11, 1822. By this marriage there was one child, Susan, who is the wife of John C. Esslinger of Webster County, Missouri where she died. After the decease of his first wife, who died about one year after their marriage, James Jack again chose a companion. The lady was Miss Mary Sellers and was a native of Warren County, OH being born in May, 1825. She was the daughter of Christian Sellers, who was a resident of Warren County, Ohio and afterward emigrated to this county where he lived until the time of his death. Before Mr. and Mrs. Jack moved from Ohio Mr. Jack was born, being the only child by this marriage. He was born March 5, 1827 and came to Indiana in one of the old covered wagons with his parents in 1829, where they located in Green Twp near the farm owned by Christian Sellers who had emigrated here and entered from the Government 240 acres of land, which he afterward divided among his 7 children, giving them in all about 560 acres each. The land that James Jack took possession of was in a perfectly wild condition, but he settled on Sec. 34 and immediately set about clearing a place on which to build a log cabin. Here he lived until the time of his death when he was the possessor of 320 acres of land. He had previously given each of his children 80 acres and at his death, he left each 40 acres, excepting May. He was a successful farmer, and a member and elder in the Christian Church. He was one of the persons who were instrumental in the organization of the congregation at Parkville and when the church edifice was erected he contributed liberally toward that, building the major part of it himself. He also helped to organize the church at Portland Mills and was a contributor t o it as well. He was trustee of the township for a number of years and in politics was an adherent of the Democratic Party, but on account of military acts, cast his vote for Gen. William H. Harrison. He died in December 1881 and his wife passed away 10 years before. After her death Mr. Jack married Mrs. Nancy Crawford who is still living the Indian Territory in the Cherokee Nation. By his second marriage he became the father of 5 children: Martin S; John Thomas, a resident of Green Township where he is extensively engaged in farming; Adam S. another representative of the agricultural class of Green Township; Eliza J, wife of James Sowder, who owns a large farm in this township; Mary, the wife of Perry Blake, who lives south of Bellmore in Union Township. Martin Jack was about 2 when he came to Indiana with his parents. He grew to manhood on the old homestead, attending the country school of his district, afterward supplementing it by an attendance at the public schools of this county where he received a splendid education. He lived at home till his marriage which was celebrated the 15th of November 1846 the other contracting party being Susan Lanning, a daughter of Thomas Lanning who was a native of NC and came to Indiana bout 1830. Mrs. Jack was born March 16, 1825 in North Carolina, in Lawson County and came to Parke County with her parents in 1830. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Jack located in Green Township, Section 35, where they lived about 10 years. At this time they removed to a farm on Sec 25, which he bought after selling his possession on Section 34. He lived on that farm 2-3 years when he moved to the place where he now lives, and lived in a large log house. In 1866 he replaced this with a large substantial frame house which has all the modern conveniences and requisites which go to make a comfortable country home. Mr. and Mrs. Jack have had born to them 8 children, 5 of whom are living. They are John T. C. who is a successful farmer in Green Township, and the father of six children, two living; Mary Catherine, wife of Mathias VanHuss, a resident of this township. Mr. and Mrs. VanHuss have a family of 11 children, 10 living, two of the boys being twins who were educated in Terre Haute. Five have graduated from the common schools. Nancy E is the wife of Michael Smith and mother of six children, 5 living. They are now living with our subject. Ella M. is the wife of William McBride, Vermilion County, Illinois. She is the mother of four children and was born December 8, 1862. Jesse Andrew is living among the mountains of Colorado on a ranch. The deceased children are Lucinda, who died at age 9 years 3 months; James D, who died in 1889. He had been a resident of Kansas for 8 years prior to the time of his death. He was a well-to-do-farmer and was married to Miss Susan Sutton, who preceded him to the land of rest a few years. Five orphan children were left to mourn the father's death and Martin, our subject has been their guardian since. William H, who was born March 16, 1856 died in 1891, leaving a wife (maiden name Mary L. Buks) and 3 children. Martin S. Jack owns 539 acres of arable land, all of which lies in Parke County with the exception of about 66 acres in Putnam. This is all well improved and in a fine state of cultivation and on it are located six residences. Mr. Jack is one of the most extensive farmers in the eastern part of the county and also keeps 50 head of cattle on his large estate to which he devotes a great deal of his attention. He learned the carpenter's trade in an early day, which occupation he followed for several years and it was his close application to this trade that made for him the bulk of his property. Politically our subject is a staunch Democrat and has held the office of Assessor of Green Township for two terms, also serving 8 years as Justice of the Peace. He has been a faithful worker in the Methodist Church for 25 years and contributed liberally to its support. Mr. Jack has had a natural genius for handling tools and has been successful in all of his undertakings -- in the occupation of a carpenter as well of farmer. He has made his fortune by his own ingenuity and skill and is regarded as one of the highly respected citizens of this township. While working at his trade he built 10 houses and 4 school houses, besides a large amount of shop work. Our subject's father before his death amply provided for his last wife, leaving to her use 80 acres of land, $1000 in cash and a large amount of personal property - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 540
JACKS, Anderson M., merchant, Bridgeton, was born in Jefferson County, Tennessee in 1831 and is the son of Richard and Sarah (DAY) Jacks. His father was born in North Carolina 1785 and died in Tennessee in 1831. He was a preacher in the Methodist church and in politics was a Whig. Mr. Jacks' mother was a member of the same church. Mr. Jacks came with his mother to Parke Co. and settled in Adams Township and moved to Raccoon in 1843 where he has ever since lived. He was married December22, 1862 to Delia CAHILL, daughter of David and Nancy Cahill. Mrs. Jacks was born March 15, 1844. They have five children: Ida O born March 20, 1868; Della September 15, 1865; Freddie March 12, 1871 died November29, 1871; Albert M, August 6, 1873 died November 16, 1876; Mary B July 12, 1877died April 7, 1880. Mr. Jacks enlisted in Company I, 21st Indiana Volunteers July 15, 1861 for 3 years. on account of an injury received he was discharged the fall of the same year. Mr. Jacks began business in Bridgeton in 1865 with only $200. He is now worth about $7,000. He built his present store building in 1871. It cost $1,500. he has a large, fine dwelling house which cost about $2,600. Mr. Jacks is a Mason, a republican, a Methodist and an honest, useful member of society. - Beadle, J. H. 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana (from Historic notes on the Wabash Valley and History of Vigo & Parke County) Chicago: H. H. Hill & N. Iddings, Publishers
George W. JACKS, a prosperous and well-to-do-farmer of Adams Township, Parke County owns a well improved farm comprising 403 acres on Sections 28, 29 and 33. He has long been prominent in all the affairs of this locality and is held in the highest respect. Altogether he owns 585 and one half acres of land which with the exception of 80 1/2 lies in this township, the remainder being in Raccoon Township, two miles distant. He has made good improvements upon his farm, including a barn that cost $1,000 and a pleasant dwelling-house erected at a cost of $1500. Mr. Jacks was born on Section 33, Adams Township August 7, 1835 being a son of Reuben Jacks who was born in Surrey County SC (should be NC) October 2, 1809. The latter was a son of Richard Reuben, who in 1818 removed with his parents to Jefferson County, Tennessee where he lived until 1830 at which time he married Hannah Ervin and soon after started for Indiana. He landed in this county March 8, 1830 with only 50 cents in his pocket and settled at once upon the farm where he afterward lived until summoned by the death angel many years later. He worked at whatever he could find to do until he obtained enough money to make the first payment on a farm. At that time corn was wroth but 6 cents a bushel on six months' credit. He worked night and day to meet the payments on his farm and succeeded beyond his most sanguine expectations. From that time until 1850 Richard Jacks cleared 3 different farms and owned at the time of his death 370 acres of land under good cultivation. The date of his demise was May 14, 1874 and his wife after surviving him several years died February 26, 1885. Mr. Jacks was first a Whig and later his affiliations with the Republican Party. For about 20 years he was Justice of the Peace and during the war he was an ardent supporter of the Union. In his own neighborhood he was very popular and merited the esteem in which he was held. George W. Jacks is one of 13 children, of whom 12 lived to mature years and 11 still survive. Besides our subject those living are: Samuel E, who is a farmer in Hickory County, Missouri; Daniel W who resides near Catlin, Parke County; Julia A wife of John Painter of Rockville; Rachel S. who is the wife of Mr. Van Buren who runs a brush factory in Chicago; Sarah wife of John Long, a stone cutter in Terre Haute; Martha E, wife of George A. Asbury who lives a mile east of Catlin; John Q of Chicago where he is in the coal business; Reuben K a farmer near Rockville; Mary E wife of Mr. Averill of Kansas City and Maggie B wife of Charles Wood who is a carpenter in Rockville. William M. served for 3 years in the late war and was wounded and died before the close of the conflict. The flag that had been carried by several standard-bearers fell to him on the battle field the day he was wounded and he bore it manfully as long as his failing strength permitted. On the farm which was his birthplace George Jacks was reared to manhood and during his early years he has plowed on Sections 28, 29 and 33. His father purchased a farm about the year 1844 and there he resided until his marriage in 1859 with Miss Hila Ann SAPP, daughter of George Sapp. She was born in Claremont County, Ohio and died Oct 27, 1864. They had 3 children: Anderson M, William B and Martha A wife of Ezekiel A. Williams of Raccoon Township. After his marriage Mr. Jacks settled one half mile east of his present home, where he lived for 24 years. On the 7th day of June 1866 Mr. Jacks married Susan B, daughter of Caleb Asbury who was born in Virginia and emigrated to Kentucky in his 18th year. In 1828 he settled in Washington Township, where he resided until his death in 1859. Mrs. Jacks was born June 15, 1831 on the old place on Government land which her father entered. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Wesley Chapel. To each of his children Mr. Jacks gave a good education and a start in life. Politically he casts his ballot in favor of the nominees of the Republican Party and fraternally is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, belonging to Lodge No. 71 of Rockville. He had always been a strong advocate of temperance and though he has been an administrator of many estates since 1874, and has done considerable general business, he has never had recourse to law but once in his life. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana (Chapman Brothers, 1893) Page 465
Reuben JACKS was born in North Carolina in 1809. He came to Parke County in 1830 with 50 cents in his pocket. He worked at such jobs as he could secure until by economy and hard work, he accumulated enough to make his first payment on a farm located about 5 miles southeast of Rockville. He first sold corn at six cents a bushel. He worked day and night and by his energy and good judgment accumulated over 500 acres of good land. He was a positive man, a deep thinker and reasoner, keeping in touch with current events. He was an ardent Union man whose influence did much in the cause during the War. Mr. Jacks was honored and respected for his neighborly qualities and kindness of heart. His son, George W, now owns the home farm. - Parke County Indiana Centennial Memorial 1816-1916 Page 113
JACKSON, John W., farmer, Sylvania, is the son of Robert and Jane (STEPHENS) Jackson, and was born in Guilford County, NC in 1839, where he continued to reside until 1857, when he moved to Parke County, where he has been engaged principally in farming. In 1861 he enlisted in the 31st Ind. Reg. Co. I, for 3 years, during which time the regiment did some hard fighting. He was engaged at Ft. Donelson, Shiloh, Stone River, Chickamauga, and numerous smaller engagements. He is a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity, being one of the organizers of Sylvania Lodge. He has been a leading member of the Methodist Episcopal church for 12 years. In politics he is strictly republican. In 1860 he was married to Miss Hannah HOBSON, daughter of Isaac Hobson, one of the earliest settlers in this part of the county and they have a family of 7 children, 4 boys and 3 girls. Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill
JACOBS, James, the 5th child of James and Mary Jacobs, was born in Xenia, Greene County, Ohio on the 10th day July 1821. In October 1831, his parents removed to Greencastle, Putnam County, Indiana and lived there 18 months. For the next four years they lived in various places, and finally settled at West Point, Tippecanoe County. From the age of 14 till he was 24, Mr. Jacobs worked on a farm as a laborer, and studied in the common schools and at odd times, whenever he had leisure, until he had qualified himself to teach; but 18 months school teaching satisfied him and he gave it up. In 1849, he entered into partnership in the dry goods trade with Dr. Adkins, at Romney In. He remained in Romney for one year. In 1850, he removed to Montezuma, Parke Co. Here he again engaged in the dry goods trade for two years, when he sold out his dry goods and embarked in the drug trade, which he has continued up to the present writing. Mr. Jacobs has served four years as Township. Trustee for Reserve Township, being the first trustee elected under the new law and is now serving as Co. Commissioner. He was married 8 January 1856 to Margaret VanLandingham of Parke County who has born him 5 children. (Taken from the Historical Sketch of Parke Co. Atlas of IN Centennial, 1816-1916 Page37).
Fleura F. JAMES, attorney-at-law and a prominent citizen of Rosedale was born in Montezuma, Parke County, Ind January 23, 1866. His father, Harry H. James, MD a native of Indiana was a graduate of the medical department of the State University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, and was a man of great prominence in his profession. As a physician, his skill was universally recognized, and as a citizen he was public-spirited. He was always an ardent supporter of the principles of the Republican party, and was an influential fraternal worker, being a member of the Masonic order and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. HIs death occurred at St. Bernice, Ind November 1, 1887. The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Elizabeth Wade, and passed away January 23, 1872. she died as she had lived, an earnest Christian and devoted member of the methodist Episcopal Church. Her two children were named FF and Edward B. and her death when they were small deprived them of the kind and loving care of a mother. The father married for his second wife Miss Anna Morrison of Kenton, Ind an amiable woman who still survives. This union was blessed by the birth of one child, a son, Schell L, who was born March 26, 1879 and who makes his home with his mother. Dr. James was a veteran of the Union army, having served for four years as First Lt. of the Sixth Cavalry, 71st Indiana Regiment. He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and a strong supporter of that organization, as he was also of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Close application and diligent study enabled our subject in his youth to become the possessor of broad knowledge and extended information on all subjects. For a time he engage din the pension business and was also employed as a collector. At age 22 he commenced the study of law. On 10 October 1889 he was admitted to the Bar of the Circuit Court and later admitted to practice in the Superior Court of the state. Soon after beginning practice he was appointed Deputy Prosecutor of Vermillion County where he practiced his profession until October 1891. Since coming to Rosedale, in the above mentioned year, Mr. James has established a lucrative practice. He is attorney of the village and is unwearied in his efforts in behalf of his fellow citizens. In his political connection she is an adherent of the Republican party and was a diligent worker in the last campaign (that of 1892) having organized several clubs throughout the state and canvassed actively for the candidates of his chosen party. Socially, he is identified with Lodge No 66, IOOF of St. Berniece of which he is a charter member. At present, however, he holds membership with Rosedale Lodge No. 698, of which he was one of the organizers and is now the acting Vice Grand. November 7, 1887, occurred the marriage of Mr. James with Miss Georgie E. Brown. Mrs. James is the eldest of 7 children in the family of John C and Charity (Titus) Brown, natives of Indiana, the father being a farmer in Vermillion County. Two children have blessed the union of our subject and his wife, Pearl who was born Feb 6, 1889; and Annie January 27, 1892. The family residence in Rosedale is pleasantly located and is the abode of a cordial hospitality extended to many guests and friends. Mrs. James possesses a consistent Christian character and is a member of the United Brethren Church. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana., Indianapolis: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 636
The gentleman whose name initiates this sketch, John K. JEMISON of Connersville Township, Fayette County, Indiana is a representative of one of the pioneer families of this county. John Jemison, the father of John K was born in Kentucky in 1793. When quiet young he was orphaned by the death of his father, and at an early age was "bound out" to learn the trade of tanner. When his time as an apprentice had expired he went to Cumminsville, Ohio and there he worked at his trade for one year. From Cumminsville he came to Fayette County, Indiana and located in Jackson Township where he erected a tannery which was one of the first in the county. His death occurred in 1851. He was married in Cincinnati, Ohio before coming to Fayette County to Miss Cynthia Coe; a native of Virginia who like himself was left an orphan in early life. She survived her husband many years. It might be said with regard to that most estimable woman, that previously to her marriage and while a resident of Cincinnati, she was employed as tailors, a common occupation for women at that time. She also at the same time cared for a younger sister the two living together and while the elder worked at her trade the younger did the housework. Several quite remarkable coincidences were connected with the lives of these two women. Both were married on the same day and each became the mother of 7 children, the older having six sons and one daughter; the younger, six daughters and one son. Both of the husbands were named John, and both were natives of the state of Kentucky. They were tanners by trade and the two had been associated in business for about a year at Cumminsville. The younger returned to Kentucky, but later came to Indiana and settled on a farm, which was his home till death. John Jemison was an industrious, upright citizen and his descendants are numbered among the best people of Fayette County. Of his 7 children, the daughter and one son have passed away. The surviving members are as follows: Jefferson H and William of Jackson Township, Fayette County; John K of this sketch; Oliver of Nebraska; and Samuel also a resident of Jackson Township, Fayette Co. The daughter, Jane was the eldest. She became the wife of Abram Myers and was the mother of 10 children several of whom have passed. Her death occurred in February 1899. The deceased brother, Elijah Jemison left a daughter who is now the wife of C. Blacklidge. John K. Jemison was born at the old homestead in Jackson Township, Fayette County, Indiana June 29, 1823 and he, like his brothers was reared to the occupation of farming. In October 1850, he was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Ward, daughter of James and Osee Bell Ward. Mrs. Jemison was born on the Wabash, in Parke County, Indiana August 7, 1834. Her parents were natives of Kentucky, came to Connersville in their youth and were married here. After their marriage they settled in Parke County, later returned to Connersville Township, Fayette County and still later removed to Illinois. The mother's death occurred some years previously to the father's. He afterward married again and at the time of his death was 87. Mrs. Jemison is one of a family of 8 members, six of whom are living: Boswell and Marion wholesale druggists, of Indianapolis; Mrs. Jemison; Mrs. Emily Jemison of Connersville; Mrs. Ada Guffin widow of Dr. John Guffin and Osee wife of Greenbury Hansan of Jennings Township, Fayette County, Indiana. Those deceased were Belle who died at the age of 12; and Thompson at age 17. Mr. and Mrs. John K. Jemison lived in Jackson Township for 15 years after their marriage and then purchased the old homestead of his parents in the same township where they lived for 15 years longer and since then they have occupied their present home near the city of Connersville. They have two sons; Marion K, at home and Ward a druggist of Connersville. For nearly half a century Mr. and Mrs. Jemison have journeyed through life together. Their influence has ever been directed toward advancing the interests of the moral and religious conditions of the community and such have been their lives that they have won the confidence and esteem of all with whom they have been associated. They have long been worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal Church to which their younger son also belongs. The elder son and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. - Biographical and genealogical history of Wayne, Fayette, Union and Franklin Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, 1899, Page 246
JERDON, Joseph H., farmer, Rockville, is the son of Samuel N. Jerdon, and was born in Parke County, August 24, 1850. His father was a farmer, a republican, and a member of the Society of Friends, as was also his mother. His ancestors came from Kentucky. February 14, 1878, Mr. Jerdon was married to miss Jennie H. ALLEN. She was born April 23, 1855 in Parke Co and is a lady of fair education and possesses the sterling qualities of womanhood. They have one child, Allen C, born June 27, 1879. Mr. Jerdon began life in limited circumstances working by the month for his brother two years, then farming with him on shares. He began farming for himself in 1876 and now has a good farm of 203 acres. Mr. Jerdon belongs to the order of Knights of Pythias, is a Friend Quaker and a republican.
John JOHNS was a pioneer of Parke County, was of Welsh stock, emigrated to the United States when a child, thence removing to Pennsylvania, thence to Ohio, where the major portion of the Johns family were born and read in the 1830s he removed to Indiana, thence to Brazil where he laid out a major part of that city; thence to Portland Mills, Parke County in 1854, where he operated a country store, his son, Jacob, being bookkeeper and clerk; thence to Mansfield where he died in 1862. Grandchildren and descendants of Grandfather John now living are: J. M. Johns, attorney of Rockville; J. R. Johns, member county tax board review, Bridgeton; Frank Johns, lumber dealer, Montezuma, Maria Brubeck, Bridgeton and Sarah McCutchan, Kentland, Indiana; Sam P. Johns, lumberman, Sedalia, Missouri; Stephen Johns, Hutchinson, Kansas; Emanuel Johns, Seattle, Washington and Robert Johns, Pana, Illinois. There is but one living child of John John, Isaac John of Sedan, Oklahoma now in his 90th year. John Johns was a merchant, farmer and stock raiser of the pioneer days of times owning considerable property and then losing all in a live stock deal as the prices of stock had a wide range of values in pioneer days. At the time of his decease he had financial reverses and left a debt of $2000 for his son, Jacob to discharge which was done, before making a start for himself. In war times, 61-64 Jacob Johns was associated with Samuel Strouse in supplying large contracts Mr. Strouse had with the US Government for stock and supplies for the armies and were close and intimate friends until death. - Historical Sketch of Parke County, Indiana, 1816-1916, Page 119
Joseph M. JOHNS, one of the members of the firm of Hensley & Johns was born in Parke County near Bridgeton in 1869. He is the son of Jacob Johns who was a pioneer of the county, coming in 1834 from Preble County Ohio, where he was reared until 9 years of age. He is the son of John Johns, a native of the Keystone State, who emigrated to Ohio about the year 1809. He served in the Revolutionary War. Returning home at the close of the war, he lived with his parents until his marriage to Miss MINTON of Pennsylvania. To himself and wife was born a large family of children. John Johns came to Indiana and located at Brazil, Clay County, where he lived and engaged in buying and selling stock for a number of years. Then he moved to Parke County and settled at Portland Mills, where he again began his business, but, not being entirely satisfied with his progress, went to Mansfield, this county where he died about 1857. The father of our subject grew to manhood in Parke County and here married Miss Amanda RUTTER the daughter of a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church near Zanesville, Ohio. After his marriage he located on a farm near Bridgeton and was engaged in stock raising. He was the father of 3 children, two of whom are still living; Joseph M, our subject and John R. who lives on a farm near Bridgeton. The father of our subject was in favor of the Republican party and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, working in that congregation until he was called by the messenger of Death, April 10, 1890. His wife preceded him to rest 12 years. Joseph M. Johns was reared on the old homestead near Bridgeton, receiving his early education in the public schools of the county. After he had completed his studies there he attended the Friends' Academy at Bloomingdale, where he completed the course and then took a term at Bryant & Stratton's Commercial College. After leaving school he commenced to read law under Puett & Hadley, afterwards pursuing his legal studies and was admitted to the Bar November 19, 1889. At this turning point in his life he was taken as a partner of the firm of Puett & Adams, under the style of Puett, Adams & Johns. Here he continued in his profession until he formed the connection with Mr. Hensley, as has been stated in the sketch of that gentleman elsewhere in this volume. Mr. Johns was married to Miss Carrie Aydelott in 1892. This lady is the daughter of John & Cynthia A. Aydelott, who are retired residents of this city. Politically, Mr. Johns of this sketch is associated with the Republican party, in which he has always taken an active part. He is also a member of the Methodist Church of this place in which he not only helps financially but also by his influence. he is a Notary Public, as is also his partner. The firm of Hensley & Johns is one widely known, as they are men of genuine public spirit, who generously aid all movements in any way calculated to advance the interests of township or county. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 207
David JOHNSON was born October 27, 1796 and died February 3, 1878 aged 81 years. He was married to Sarah COLLINGS in 1819. She was born September 12, 1804; died July 19, 1876 aged 72 years. There were 10 children and 62 grandchildren; 18 of these died in childhood, two just as they were budding into womanhood leaving 42 who lived to maturity. One son, George died in the army. Later his remains were removed to the National Cemetery on the site of Custer's last stand against the Sioux. David Johnson was a farmer. He did some carpenter work, made baskets, bottomed chairs and made the shoes for the family. His wife spun and wove the cloth from which she made all their clothing. She made the soap, candles, quilts, coverlids carpets and many things we of this generation know nothing of. They had been married 16 years and had six children when they came from Kentucky in the fall of 1835. This was not a hasty decision. More than two years had passed since Mr. Johnson had made a trip to Indiana and purchased of Mr. Troutman the farm John H. Johnson of Greene Township now owns. He paid $1,000 for the 160 acres or $6.25 per acres. At the same time came Zebulon Collings and family. Already 3 branches of this family were living in this community when these two came to join them. Ten days were spent on the journey, camping at night by the way. Each family had a four-horse wagon loaded with bedding and the actual necessities of life. They also brought some sheep, some cows and 3 extra horses. Mr. Collings walked all the long journey, driving the stock. His wife and sister rode the two horses belonging to him. Each carried a child in her lap and one behind. There were 3 boys old enough to take turns riding the filly. Three of four trips were made back to Kentucky to visit the relatives, always going in the wagon. We who are so used to the steam cars, automobiles and good roads can hardly imagine what a trip of this kind would mean. Four more children were born in Indiana and here they all grew up. They had their happy times, their sad times, their love affairs and their sorrows. The parents grew old and feeble as the sons and daughters became the study, reliable citizens of eastern Parke Co. The oldest son, Phleming D. Johnson was a man of superior judgment; perhaps few men in the county were called on more frequently to assess damages on proposed highways and railroads through farms and to arbitrate questions of dispute among citizens of the county. James M. Johnson, another son was honored and esteemed by all. He served as township trustee for a number of years. William spent the most of his life in Missouri. The daughters were Mrs. Mary Jane McCain; Mrs. Elizabeth Connelly; Mrs. Frances Carver; Mrs. Martha Anderson, all excellent women, quiet and unassuming, whose children pay tribute to mother's training. All these have passed to their reward, leaving a record of a life well spent. One son, John H, still lives at the old home. All of these children and almost all of the grandchildren have been successful farmers. They have added much to the development and history of Eastern Parke County. - Parke County Indiana Centennial Memorial 1816-1916 Page 101 (picture included in original
James M. JOHNSON, a resident of Section 28, Greene Township, Parke County, is engaged in general farming and stock raising on his homestead. Politically, he is a Democrat and was elected Trustee of the township in 1876, to which position he was reelected two years later and again in 1882. He is the son of David Johnson, whose birth occurred in Shelby County Kentucky October 27, 1796. James, father of the latter, was of Irish descent and married Margaret DIXON who lived to be 84. David Johnson was reared in Shelby County on a farm, and lived on the old homestead until he was married in 1819 to Miss Sarah COLLINGS, daughter of William Collings, one of the pioneers of Shelby County who when he first went there was obliged to live in a fort for protection against the Indians. IN 1835, our subject's father, with his wife and six children, came to Indiana making a settlement in Union Twp, Parke County. He bought 160 acres of land on Sect 4, which had been partly improved. For about 40 years his time was largely taken up in the improvement and cultivation of his farm, which is now one of the best in the county. He was called to his final rest Feb 3, 1878, two years previous to which his wife had departed this life on the 19th of July. He was a Jacksonian Democrat and at one time was Justice of the Peace in Union Township As a business man he was successful and devoted himself to whatever he undertook with zeal and energy. In religious belief he was a Universalist and in personal character was an upright and honorable man. James M. Johnson whose name heads this sketch was born Aug 25, 1827 being one of 10 children, all but one of whom grew to adult years. The following are living: Phleming D, of this township, our subject, who is next in order of birth, Elizabeth Ann, wife of James H. CONNELLEY, who lives near Hollandsburg, Margaret F, wife of B. D. Carver, Morton, Indiana; William C, who lives in Randolph County, Missouri; and John H, whose place of abode is one the old homestead in Union Township. In Shelby County, which was his birthplace, the boyhood days of our subject were passed, and when he was still a young lad he came with his parents to Indiana. His educational privileges were limited to such as were afforded by the district schools of the neighborhood, which he only attended during the short winter term. Upon arriving at his majority, Mr. Johnson was united in marriage with Miss Emmeline McClain, the ceremony being performed December 16, 1847. Her father, Jesse McClain was for long years one of the honored agriculturists of Parke County. After his marriage, our subject took his young wife to a farm near the narrows of Sugar Creek, this county, which was their home for about two years after which Mr. Johnson removed to his present farm, which he has since cultivated. February 7, 1863, his wife died leaving four children: Mary, wife of J. C. Rush of Marshall, Indiana; David, who is assisting in carrying on his father's farm; Alice, wife of Charles Hawker, who lives in Hollandsburg; and one who died in infancy. The marriage of Mr. Johnson and Matilda LANNING was celebrated March 16, 1864. She is the daughter of Thomas Lanning, who emigrated from North Carolina to Indiana, settling in Greene Township, where he entered 80 acres of land of the Government as early as 1830, being one of the pioneers of this region. Mrs. Johnson was born on this old homestead and acquired her education in the public schools. Four children graced the union. Francis and Cora Ellen are living and Andrew and Alfred died in infancy. In his early life our subject taught school for two terms successfully, and has always used his influence in the support of good schools. He now owns 130 acres of fertile land, 100 of which are improved and of this amount he usually has 75 acres cultivated each year. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 209
JOHNSON, John W, farmer, Roseville, one of the oldest and most energetic of Florida's citizens, was born January 2, 1825 on Flat Rock, in Bartholomew County Indiana. In the spring, however, Mr. Johnson accompanied his parents to Ft. Harrison prairie, where his father settled a little way southeast of Terre Haute and died in the fall of 1827. At the age of five years, Mr. Johnson came with his mother to Parke County who settled on Section 16 being the place now owned by Mr. CHALLIS. Here Mr. Johnson lived with his mother until his 12th year when he commenced living with his uncle, Sylvester SIBLEY. At 18, he commenced learning the wagon and carriage maker's trade near Roseville and in 1849 purchased the shop situated on the crossroads going from Depuy's mill to Clinton Locks. Here he worked 15 years when he commenced life as a farmer, purchasing the Hector SMITH estate and moving on Yankee Street in March 1877. In 1879 Mr. J. Erected one of the finest finished houses in the neighborhood. He was married May 27, 1849 in Florida Township to Amanda Smith and became the father of 6 children, two of whom are living: Dora A, Louisa M, Mary A, Oliver C, Laura B, Charles H. After the death of his wife, Mr. Johnson married a second time, March 4, 1880, Flora E. ROGERS of Rockville, daughter of a prominent old settler and ex County Commissioner. He is a republican, formerly a Whig, casting his first pres. Vote for S. Taylor in 1848. By energy and economy, which have always been prominent factors in Mr. Johnson's character, he owns a well improved farm of 440 acres, which he oversees, having retired from active farming.
John W. JOHNSON represents the agricultural class of Florida Township, Parke County. He was born near Columbus, Indiana January 2, 1823 and is a son of Willard and Philinda Sibley Johnson. Willard Johnson was born in the northern part of the state of Virginia and was a wheelwright by trade. The family were of Scotch ancestry but little information can be given concerning them. The mother of our subject was born near Bennington, Vermont. Her father was a brave soldier in the War of 1812 and was killed in the battle of Black Rock. The Sibley family was of old Puritan stock. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson were married in New York state and in 1822 went to Columbus, Indiana, where they remained two years, later locating at Terre Haute, where the father died when our subject was three years old. The brothers and sisters of our subject were: Lemuel, killed at the time the Ben Sheridan blew up on the Mississippi River; James, who died when a child and was buried in the same grave with his father; Elisha, who died when a child at Ft. Harrison; Lucinda, who married Spencer Hovey; Lucena, who die din Terre Haute and left the following children: Lafayette; Robinson; Scott; William Wyley and Mary; Mary, who married Jefferson Uselman and died at Rosedale, leaving 3 children: George, Spencer and James; and Melona, who is the widow of the late Henry Hovey and lives in Terre Haute, having been the mother of 4 children, 3 living: James, Thomas and Frank. Lucinda's father-in-law was killed while building the first court house ever erected in Terre Haute. He had previously given the land to the county and had the contract to erect the building. After the death of our subject's father, his mother married Jonathan Rockwell and bore him 4 children: Jane; Philinda; James and Sylvester. The mother died in 1852. Our subject grew up on a farm and received a fair education and at the age of 17 commenced to learn the wheelwrights trade at Terre Haute and Roseville. Soon after he reached mature years, he was united in marriage to Miss Amanda Smith who was a native of Vigo County. Indiana a short time after he built a shop on his small farm in Florida Township at the cross roads and worked at his trade in the meantime manufacturing wagon furniture. In this he continued for 20 years and by his diligence and close application to his work he added to his little farm until he accumulated a fine tract of 400 acres. To himself and wife were born: Dora Alice, who died at age 10; Louisa M, who married John A. Tolan and lives on the adjoining farm; Laura Belle who was the wife of John Montgomery and died in September 1891, leaving 3 children: Ray, Louisa and Laura; Oliver who died when 18; Charles Hector, who is also deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Tolan have 3 children: Glen Curtin; George Johnson and Willard Jefferson. Some 8 years after the decease of his first wife, who passed away in 1872, Mr. Johnson married Flora E. Rogers of Rockville. In politics he is a Republican and his wife is a member and zealous worker in the Presbyterian Church. For several years Mr. Johnson has not been engaged in farming, but is enjoying the fruits of the former years of hard labor and now rents out all of his land. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 599
Phleming D. JOHNSON, who was born in Shelby County, Kentucky December 30, 1822, now makes his home on the southwest quarter of Section 32, Greene Township, Parke County. He is a stalwart republican and was Justice of the Peace for several years, having not quite filled out his term when he was elected Trustee, serving in that capacity for some six years. For two years he was Township Assessor, and has been administrator of no less than 8 estates. He assisted in assessing land to build 18 gravel roads, helping to lay out a number of them and has been very active in securing the good gravel roads for which this county is so justly famous. David Johnson our subject's father was born in Shelby County, Kentucky October 27, 1796. He was the son of James Johnson, a native of Pennsylvania, and an early settler in Shelby County. His wife was formerly Margaret DIXON, a native of Ireland, from which country she removed to Pennsylvania, where her marriage was celebrated, after which the young couple removed to Kentucky. Of their six children, David was 4th. He received a fair education for those days and remained at home until his marriage with Sarah, daughter of William COLLINGS, who was an old settler of Shelby County. For 17 years succeeding his marriage, David Johnson remained on the old home place and in 1835, coming to Indiana, he settled on Section 4, Union Township, where he bought a farm, partly improved, and there continued to live until he was cut down by the hand of Death in February 1877. His wife, who had died the year previous, was the mother of 10 children, all but one of whom lived to mature years. Those living are Elizabeth, wife of Harvey Connelly, of Union Township; James M. of Greene Township; Frances, wife of Benjamin CARVER, of Putnam County; William J, a resident of Randolph County, Missouri; John H, who lives in Union Township, on the old homestead and our subject. Martha married T. H. Anderson of Rockville. She died March 9, 1893. Mary Jane, deceased was the wife of Morgan McLain; George W, died with typhoid fever while in the army and Sarah E's death occurred at the old home. David Johnson was a generous man, and gave liberally to his children both in money and land. He was a Democrat, and served his fellow citizens as JP for one year. P. D. Johnson was a lad of 13 when he came to Parke County. He received a good education and taught school for 13 terms in this county. In 1842 he was united in marriage with Mary A. DOOLEY, whose father, John, emigrated from Shelby County, Kentucky where Mrs. Johnson was born in 1821. Mr. Johnson commenced farming on Sugar Creek, where he became the owner of 260 acres, on which he continued to live for 14 years. In 1856 he sold out and moved to Minnesota, where he preempted a homestead in Scott County; there he lived for about 9 years making a fair success of the enterprise. In 1865, however, he determined to return to Indiana, and then made a permanent settlement on the farm which is still his home. His farm has within its boundaries 120 acres, while his wife owns in her own right 47 acres additional. The property is well improved and the owner formerly made a specialty of raising shorthorn cattle. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson were the parents of 8 children, six of whom are living: William, a fruit grower in California; Lucinda J, wife of John A. Payton who lives in Greene Township Mary D, whose husband, T. W. MATER, is Postmaster at Bellmore; John M, who is a prosperous farmer in Kansas; David H, a commercial traveler engaged in selling farming implements, having his headquarters in Bloomington, ill; and Charles W, who is in the poultry business in Effingham, ill. James M died at the age of 3 and Elizabeth died when two. Mr. Johnson's first wife died in 1862 and the same year he wedded Mary A. COLLINGS, daughter of William Collings, who was a pioneer farmer of Union Township Mrs. Johnson was born in Shelby County, Kentucky, and came to Indiana about 1836. Both she and her husband are members of the Baptist Church, the latter being a Deacon, and an active worker in the church and Sunday school. During the late war Mr. Johnson furnished a substitute, as he was not able to go. His son, William was a member of Co. I, 8th Minnesota infantry. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain County, Indiana Page 249
JOHNSTON, James T., (Hon.), one of the leading members of the bar of Parke Co., was born in Putnam Co IN January 19, 1839. He was a farmer's boy till the age of 22, when he spent one year reading law at Greencastle. In the spring of 1862, he enlisted in the army in Co. C, 71st Indiana Regt afterwards the 6th Indiana Cavalry and served in the ranks till the 1st of August 1863 during which time he was in the battles of Richmond, Kentucky and Muldraugh Hill; and on the 1st of Aug, 1863, he was mustered out by order of Gen. Burnside to accept the commission of Lt. In Co A, 10th Tenn. Cavalry. He was with this regiment and had command of his company most of the time, till the first of January 1864. After following Scott's raid into Kentucky, they rendezvoused at Glasgow and from thence went to Knoxville Tennessee.. On the 1st of September, 1863 being the first Union Soldiers to enter Knoxville. The co. Commanded by Lt. Johnston were in the front and were the first to enter the town. They captured several. Rebel soldiers on their retreat as the Union soldiered entered. Form that time till the siege of Knoxville, Lt. Johnston was engaged in the E. Tenn. Campaign, and was in the battles of Huntsville and Boat Landing. At the latter place he had his horse killed under him by a rebel shot. He was in Knoxville during the siege and followed the retreating rebels engaging in a battle at Blain's Cross Roads. His regiment was then consolidated with the 8th Tennessee, and there being, in consequence of such consolidation, a few supernumerary officers, he resigned and came home on the 1st of January 1864. On the 1st of June following he enlisted as a private. In the 133rd Indiana and served with the "hundred days" men at Bridgeton Alabama. From February 1865 to September he was quartermaster of the 149th Indiana and operated in Decatur, AL. After returning from the army, he continued his law studies with Williamson & Daggy of Greencastle and was admitted to the bar in the spring of 1866. In April, he came to Rockville. In October of that year he was elected District Attorney. In 1868, he was elected to the State Legislature. In November 1869, he formed a law partnership with Hon. Thomas N. RICE at Rockville, where he has continued to practice ever since. (taken from the 1874 Parke Co. Indiana Atlas Page 33)
JOHNSTON, James T., attorney, Rockville, is one of the representative men of Parke County, who has made an acknowledged and praiseworthy record in the military service of his country and in the lawmaking councils of his state. He was born January 19, 1839 in Putnam County, In. His mother died when he was two years old. His father married again, and by this union left five children at his death, which was occasioned by falling between the cars of a moving train. Though at this time but a mere lad, he had the will, no less than the clear head and industrious habits, of a man, and accepted and discharged cheerfully the responsible duties of managing the farm and providing for the family. He was preparing for college when the war came on, which forever ended his ardent aspirations in that direction. When, in 1862, the stirring call came for 300,000 men, he could no longer curb his pent up martial spirit and enthusiasm, and his stepmother, with patriotic self-denial, bade him go. He enlisted as a private in Co. C 71st Indiana, afterward the 6th Calvary. In four weeks from the date of his enrollment he fought in the unequal and desperate engagement at Richmond, Kentucky; being surrounded by the enemy, a few, including our subject, cut their way out with General Nelson. In December following he was again in battle at Muldraugh's Hill, facing fearful odds -- 500 against as many thousand (sic). They made a most stubborn resistance for a day, but were finally obliged to capitulate. From a well written sketch of Mr. Johnston in a late issue of the Rockville "Tribune", we extract the following: "Paroled at once and returned to Indiana, there appeared a better thing for him: some hundreds of prisoners taken by Grant in 1863, being Union men conscripted from e. Tennessee, volunteered in our army and our friend was volunteered in our army and our friend was appointed to drill them. By request of officers Gen. Burnside issued a special order in August 1862 "mustering him out for promotion,' and he was commissioned second lt. And took command in the 8th Tennessee Calvary., composed of the aforesaid prisoners. From the day of muster he was in regular command of the company, both superior officers being detailed on other duty. As his men knew all the by-paths of E. Tennessee, they were sent at once in advance as scouts, and as they were fighting with halters around their necks, it was a most desperate service. In one action on the Holston Lt. Johnson, in advance with but 25 men, received a volley which killed 7 horses and wounded 11. He received a ball in the wrist, and his horse fell dead under him, shot through the heart. Those were times that tried men's souls, but Lt. Johnston's men knew that capture meant death, and stood by him and obeyed orders like veterans. During all the E. Tenn. Campaign Lt. Johnson's company was in the advance, and was the first to enter Knoxville. After the siege of that place the 8th and 10th Tenn. Calvary. Were consolidated, and he was offered a position in another command; but he did not relish the idea of starting in again with strangers, and being greatly worn with sickness and hardships concluded to resign and enjoy a well earned rest.
Hon. James T. JOHNSTON is the junior member of the legal firm of Rice & Johnston of Rockville. He was born in Putnam County, Indiana January 19, 1839 and when he was two was orphaned by the death of his mother. The father afterward married again and by his second union six children were born. He died when our subject was a mere lad and the responsibility of carrying on the home farm afterward fell upon his young shoulders. At the opening of the war, Mr. Johnston was preparing for college, but Lincoln's call for 3000 volunteers forever put an end to all aspirations in that direction. He enlisted as a private in Company C 71st Indiana afterward the 6th Indiana Calvary and 4 weeks later we find him fighting in the unequal and desperate engagement at Richmond, Kentucky. Being surrounded by the enemy, Gen. Nelson and the troops were forced to cut their way out. In December 1863, Mr. Johnston participated in the battle at Muldraugh's Hill, where the union forces made a most stubborn resistance for one day, but were obliged to capitulate. In 1863 several hundred prisoners, Union men who had been conscripted into the Southern service from East Tennessee, volunteered in the Federal army. By request of the officers, Gen. Burnside issued a special order in August of that year promoting James T. Johnston to the position of 2nd Lt. He then took command of the 8th Tennessee Cavalry which was composed of the aforementioned prisoners. From the day of the appointment he was in regular command of his company, the Capt. and 1st Lt. having been detailed on other duty. The company being familiar with the topography of East Tennessee were sent in advance as scouts. It was a most desperate service and the men were commonly said to have "fought with halters around their necks." In one engagement on the Holston, Lt. Johnston with only 25 men received a volley which killed 7 horses and wounded 11. He himself received a ball in the wrist and his horse, having been shot through the heart fell dead under him. During all the E. Tennessee campaign, his company was in the advance, and was the first to enter Knoxville. After the siege of Knoxville the 8th & 10th Tennessee Cavalries were consolidated and our subject was offered a position in another command. Being, however, exhausted with sickness and the hardships incident to service, he concluded to resign and enjoy the well-earned rest. As soon as Mr. Johnston's health was restored he again enlisted, becoming a member of Company F 133rd Indiana Infantry and was mustered in for 100 days' service. The most of this time he filled the position of Commissary-Sgt. At the expiration of his term of service, he reenlisted, this time in Company C, 149th Indiana Infantry, under Lt. Col. WD Mull. Soon afterward he was appointed by Gov. Morton as 1st Lt. and Assistant-Quartermaster and remained with his command until September 27, 1865 when he was honorable discharged at the close of hostilities. While on the farm, Mr. Johnston had employed his leisure in the study of law. He now took a full course with Williamson & Daggy at Greencastle, Indiana and in 1866 located in Rockville as their resident partner. 3 years later he formed a partnership with Hon. T. N. Rice, which firm is still in existence. In 1866, Mr. Johnston was elected Prosecuting Attorney for the Common Please District, comprising Parke, Vigo & Sullivan Counties. Two years later he was chosen representative from Parke County to the Legislature, where he filled that responsibility position with efficiency and success. In 1872, Mr. Johnston was elector on the Grant ticket for his district and made a thorough canvass of his territory. The citizens of Parke & Vermillion Counties honored him in 1874 by electing him to the State Senate where, as in other positions to which he was called, he served with credit to himself and to the general satisfaction of his constituents. While in the House he was he was Leader of the Republican Party and as the Democrats were in the majority he had to conduct many a battle on parliamentary tactics and always acquitted himself with consummate skill, winning the hearty encomiums of his party. In 1884, Mr. Johnston made the race for Congress and was elected by a majority of 354. Two years later he was reelected by 1156 majority, in a district that usually gave a Democrat majority of 1000. During his first term as Congressman he served as a member of the Committee on War Claims, and was in the thickest of the Congressional fights over the Southern war claims. During his second term of office occurred the famous contest between Tobin & Carlyle over the Speakership and our subject was chosen by the Republican caucus as a member of the Committee on Elections, in which responsible position he served with distinguished ability. In the White-Lawry contest, Mr. Johnston managed the case for Mr. White. The majority of the committee, being Democrats, favored Lawry and the Republicans gave their influence to the support of White. Mr. Johnston made the closing debate in the case and secured the victory for White. In 1888 he was again a candidate for Congress but was defeated by a majority of about 53. It may be stated of him, however, that although defeated, he ran far ahead of his ticket and received many more votes than the Presidential elector. In addition to the active part he has taken as a public official, he has been prominent in every campaign, and his services have been utilized often by the Republican State Central Committee. Since his retirement from Congress, Mr. Johnston has devoted himself to his legal practice and the management of his farms, one of which is located in Putnam County, Indiana and other in Edgar County, Illinois. He owns altogether about 450 acres of land all well improved and in a good state of cultivation. Socially, he has been identified with the Masonic fraternity since his initiation at the age of 21. He has been a member of the Grand Army of the Republic since its organization and served as Commander of post No. 9 for 3 successive years, and April 7, 1893, was elected Deportment Commander of the Grand Army of the Republic for the Department of Indiana. He was a delegate to the national Encampment 3 times and once filled the position of delegate of the state-at-large. In February 1866, Mr. Johnston married Miss Mattie M. Morrison who died November 14, 1872 leaving an infant daughter. The second marriage of our subject occurred November 1873 and united him with Miss Lucy, daughter of Dr. George P. Daly, one of the oldest physicians of Parke County. Financially, Mr. Johnston is well-to-do and the owner of valuable property, including his residence in Rockville. His life is well worthy the emulation of the young, for through perseverance and energy he has gained success and is prominent both in professional and social circles. Upon starting out in life for himself, he was not only without money but was burdened by a debt of $1,000 which his father, having gone security for a friend was called upon but was unable to pay. The debt was liquidated by Mr. Johnston and his brothers after he had commenced the practice of law. The law firm of Rice & Johnston has a very extensive practice and is usually represented, as clients for plaintiff or defendant in every important case in the county. They have been associated in practice since 1869 and their relations have always been of an amicable nature. Their knowledge of legal technicalities is widely known and their opinion concerning important questions always carries weight. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page. 163
JONES, R. O., grocer, Montezuma, was born in Shelby County, Kentucky. December 6,1 827. His parents were: Abraham and Catharine (TALBERT) Jones; his father a native of Maryland and his mother of Kentucky, from which state they removed to Montgomery County, Indiana in 1836. Here Mr. Jones' father died in about 1839. His mother died in Putnam County, Indiana in 1872 and the age of 80. At the age of 16, Mr. Jones went to learn the tailor's trade, which was his occupation until he was 40 years of age. In 1849, he came to Montezuma, where he worked at his trade for some time, but finally embarked in the grocery business, which he has followed ever since. in 1851, he was married to Miss Charlotte L. EGBERT, daughter of Benjamin Egbert, who was a native of Kentucky, and came tot he Wabash Valley in an early day. Mr. Jones served the people of his township as trustee for seven years. (Beadle, J. H. 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana (from Historic notes on the Wabash Valley and History of Vigo County) Chicago: H. H. Hill & N. Iddings, Publishers reprinted 1977 by The Bookmark, Knightstown IN).
JUSTUS, Aquila, was born on the 15th of April, 1804 in Ross County, Ohio . He was the son of Aquila and Margaret Justus. The family came to Wabash Township. and settled on a farm in 1822. He was an industrious young man and got his start by making rails and other arduous labor necessary with the pioneers who made good. Mr. Justus made 20 trips to New Orleans with flat boats. He served as justice of the peace and one term as Co. Commissioner. He was an active member and liberal supporter of the Montezuma Methodist Church and a man of force and influence.
JUSTUS, Aquilla, the subject of this sketch, is one of the pioneers of Parke County, and one of the oldest and most respected of its citizens. He was born on the 15th day of April 1804 in Ross County, Ohio on a farm, where he lived with his father and mother, Aquilla and Margaret Justus, of whom he was the 4th son, until he was 18 years old, when he removed to Parke County, Indiana in 1822 and settled in what is now Wabash Township. Mr. J. had his own way to make in the world, and he got his start by the hardest kind of labor, namely, mauling rails and flat boating, in which latter business he made 20 trips to Orleans. In 1825, he was married to Mary GORMLEY of Parke County, by whom he had 11 children, 7 of whom with their mother are no longer living. Mr. J. has served 5 years as JP and one term as Co. Commissioner. He is an active member of the ME Church and one of its warmest supporters. He is the oldest resident of Montezuma, and looked upon as one of the fathers of this place. (Taken from the 1874 Parke County, Indiana Atlas. Page 33)