Parke County Indiana Biographies - L
Please send any additions or corrections to James D. VanDerMark
LAKE, Josephus W., merchant, Clinton Locks, one of the village's most prominent characters was born August 19, 1843 in Bellaire, Belmont Co Ohio . His father, Evan, emigrated from Wales when he was 19 and settled in the village above, where he was engaged in mining at the same time boating his coal from Wheeling to Memphis and many intermediate points. Here he was engaged until his removal to Clinton Locks, in the fall of 1859. Mr. Lake was engaged in mining at this point until his death in October1862. January 1, 1840 he was married to Miss Malinda Brandon in Bellaire where she died in 1858. Josephus W, the subj. Of this sketch is the 3rd of 7 children. His education was such as might be obtained by a faithful student while attending the schools of Bellaire prior to arriving at the age of 17 and since by an observant mind. April 8, 1860 marks the date of his arrival in Parke Co and since that time until the spring of 1862 was engaged in mining. After his return from the army, in September1862 he again engaged in the aforesaid business until the spring of 1863 when he was engaged in driving upon the canal until his second enlistment in 1863. After the war Mr. Lake clerked for some time in the warehouse at this place, and was engaged 3 terms as a school teacher. He finally commenced farming, which was his principal business until February 1877, at which time he commenced life as a merchant. Continuing a short period, he became permanently settled in the store after purchasing the interest in the stock belonging to Mr. BOWENS and has since been engaged in the mercantile business and farming. He enlisted June 22, 1862 at Terre Haute in Co B 54th Indiana Infantry and was mustered out September22, 1862 at Indianapolis. The second time he enlisted in Clinton in November1863 in Co C 123d Indiana Infantry and was mustered out May 22, 1865 at Madison IN. He was captured at Red River Bridge, TN but was soon paroled. He was also in the engagements at Resaca, Buzzard Roost, Decatur, Chattahoochee, Atlanta and others. He was married June 4, 1871` to Mary F. ROBERTS daughter of James Roberts. They have had 4 children, 3 of whom are living: James E, Carrie L, Lata M and Roy. He was elected justice of the peace in 1878. He is an Odd Fellow, also a member of the national party, formerly a republican.
LAKE, Robert BORN, farmer, Atherton, is one of those thorough, energetic, thoughtful business men whose past career proves to the community that with whatever he may associate his name, that enterprise will be a signal success. He was born December13, 1841 in Belmont County, Ohio and after attending the winter schools he was engaged in mining from a small boy, and came to Clinton Locks with his father in the fall of 1858 Here he was engaged in mining until he enlisted in the army, and a couple of years after his return, in Vermilion (sic) COUNTY, Indiana. At the expiration of this time he commenced farming on the SIDWELL property, situated immediately So. Of Numa, where he has since resided, having purchased a finely improved farm of 185 acres. August 15, 1861, he was mustered into the service and March 24, 1864, he was mustered out in TX. He reenlisted March 25, 1864 and was mustered out at Darien, GA August 28, 1865 as a member of County, C, 18th Indiana Inf. He did his duty, amply describes his military record, having participated in the battles of Pea Ridge, Vicksburg and vicinity, Richmond, Jackson and others. March 15, 1872 he was married in Florida Township to Miss EE Sidwell, daughter of Nathan and Maria L. GILKISON Sidwell very highly esteemed early settlers. By this union, they have become the parents of two children, one of whom is living, Herald, born January 5, 1873. He is in political faith a national, formerly a republican, casting his first presidential vote for Gen. Grant.
LAMBERT, Ambrose Waveland, farmer, was born in 1796, in Old Virginia, Charlotte County, and is the son of Sterling and Elizabeth Lambert. His father was a farmer. He emigrated to Kentucky. With his parents when he was 7 years old, and was educated in the pioneer schools of that state. When a young man he followed boating on the Ohio , Kentucky. And Wabash rivers for 3 years. Mr. Lambert was married in 1815 to Ann ADAMS by whom he has two children: Elizabeth and Mary A. The latter and her mother are deceased. He was married a second time, in 1836 to Pearl ADAMS by whom he has 14 children. He had 5 sons in the army during the late war: Sterling D, Joseph, Ambrose, Jerome and James. Jerome and Ambrose die din the service. Mr. Lambert was, until too old to hand a gun, a great hunter, and is said to have killed more game than any other man in Greene Township. The many incidents which he is able to relate of the early settlement of the township are exceedingly interesting to all. He heard the whoop and saw the campfires of the savage in the forest around his cabin. He came to Parke Co. A poor man and now owns a good farm of 240 acres near the railroad crossing at Guion. Mr. Lambert is a devout Christian. He and his first wife united with the Christian church at Bank's Springs in 1835 and he holds his membership at Waveland. Since the death of his second wife, his son-in-law, Thomas BORN LOUGH, son of Jacob BORN Lough, whose biography will appear in Howard Township. History, and his wife Sarah, daughter of Mr. Lambert take care of him. Mr. Lough was born in Kentucky in 1833 and married in 1865. Mr. Lough and Mr. Lambert are both staunch republicans. On page 419 of same source: "In the fall of 1821, there came from Kentucky five families: Ambrose Lambert.....(Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill) (Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill) -- same source, pg. 421 -- "Among the early settlers Ambrose Lambert was the most successful hunter. Snakes of almost every kind were here in great number."
LAMBERT, Benjamin F., farmer, Rockville, was born in Kentucky July 7, 1821 and is the son of Benjamin and Sarah (MARTIN) Lambert. His father was a Baptist preacher and was born in 1776 and died July 30, 1857. At two years of age, Mr. Lambert moved with his family to Parke Co. He began farming for himself in 1844 with not very much property, but by hard work and good calculation he has reached his present condition. His first married was to Sarah HISE. She died July 27, 1861. By this married there were born 8 children: John R, who is now dead; he enlisted in the last call for troops and served two years, till the close of the war. The other children were: Rosanna, wife of Benjamin F. HAYWORTH, residing in Vermilion County, IL; Aaron M, who died April 12, 1874; James A; Mary E who was married to Gaven died Anderson October 20, 1870; Daniel F. Who died July 27, 1856; Sarah J, who was married to James H. COX October 11, 1876 and died April 14, 1880 and William F. Mr. Lambert's second married was to Lucy J. MORING, April 18, 1867. The children by this married are: Francis F, who died September 21, 1876. And Lettie E. Mr. Lambert has been a successful farmer and in politics is a republican. He and his wife are both members of the Christian Church and are highly respected by the community in which they lives.
LANE, Alexander deceased, was born in Virginia in 1803 and is the son of Larking and Sally (PRICE) Lane, both natives of Virginia. The former was a revolutionary soldier and was at the siege of Yorktown. Alexander Lane came to Kentucky. With his parents when 2 years old, where he remained until he was 25. He received no education other than that obtained in the pioneer schools of Kentucky. Mr. Lane was married in 1825 to Lizza BURKS of Kentucky, daughter of Thomas and Anna (PRICE) Burks. Mr. Thomas Burks was a pensioned soldier of the revolution. Mr. and Mrs.. Lane have 9 children: the first, Thomas L is married to Mary A. SUTTON; James G. Died in 1843, aged 11; Emily E is the wife of George SWIM; Liddy M of John PRATT and Mary C of James ARMSTRONG. The other children are: John A who was married to Sally TODD; Lucinda wife of AJ VINCENT and Lizzie M who died in 1880, aged 43 years. Mr. Lane came to Parke Co as early as 1828, and first settled on the west side of the Little Raccoon, where he remained two years and then removed to Sec. 31, Greene Township, where he resided till his death, which occurred April 8, 1860. He and his wife were members of the United Brethren church, she being still a member of the same. He came to this county when it was little more than a green forest, with not enough of this world's goods to make him and his wife comfortable. He was in debt, but by good management, accompanied by industry, he left his family possessors of a good farm of 110 acres, well improved, as the results of this labor. Mrs. Lane still resides upon the farm won from the green forest by her husband's labor. In politics he was, as in all things else, a straight democrat. By his death the country lost a good citizen and a successful farmer, and his family a tender loving husband and father. Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill)
LANEY, Charles L., retired farmer, Rosedale, was born July 17, 1824 in Lincoln County Kentucky and came west with his parents in 1831 and settled in Parke Co. He lived with his parents until he was near 22 years of age at which time he began working in Depuy’s sawmill as foreman and sawyer. Continuing here two years, he returned to the old homestead and rented land of his father, where he lived 3 years prior to purchasing his present farm, which now consists of a 1/4 section. He erected his first house where his present well arranged and neatly finished one now stands it being built in 1859. His first home is still standing, having been moved across the road, now occupied by Mrs. Jane Rickman. Mr. Laney worked at carpentering quite a good deal in an early day and also at blacksmithing. This latter he has pursued with splendid success in connection with his farm, until July 17, 1880 at which time he sold his shop and entire lot of tools. He was married September10, 1846 in Florida Township to Mary Ann LEWIS and is the father of 10 children, 4 of whom are dead; Isaac N; Malinda; James M; Levi N; George F; Wilson and Elizabeth. His wife died February 4, 1876 and he married July 1, 1877 Mrs. Anna EDWARDS, daughter of William MERSER who came to Vigo Co in an early day and died when Mrs. Laney was but 7 weeks old. Her mother, Jane RICKMAN, is an old lady 88 years of age but still takes care of her own house. He is a member of the Christian church as is also his wife, and is at present one of its elders. His political principles are democratic having cast his first presidential vote for James K. Polk in 1844.
LANEY, Levi D., farmer and minister, Rosedale, was born February 14, 1814 in Lincoln County, Kentucky, near the Crabb Orchard. Joseph Delaney, his grandfather came from Ireland over a century ago and settled in NC. He then removed to Lincoln County Kentucky and here resided until his death. James Delaney (who wrote his name James Laney after he was about 35 years of age) was born In NC 1790 and moved to Kentucky with his parents with whom he lived until he arrived at the age of 21. From Lincoln Co he came to Parke in 1829 arriving here March 20. He first rented land of Mr. DAVIS and finally purchased a 3/4 sec. On Section29. In the fall of 1830 he moved into the old house and here lived until he died, January 3, 1873, with the exception of the last few years spent mostly with his son, Charles. He married Elizabeth DAVIS in Kentucky, and became the father of 11 children, 5 of whom are living. Mr. Laney came to Parke Co. When he was but 16 years old, and lived with his parents until the fall prior to the time he was 21 when he began farming on Joseph Walker’s place, continuing 3 years. He then purchased 80 acres on Section19 and after 5 years sold with the intention of moving to Mo. After farming for several years in the neighborhood he purchased 80 acres upon the same section and after operating it five years sold out and rented for a period of 6 years. He then purchased 40 acres of his present farm and lived here until the spring of 1854 In the fall of the same year he moved to Ill and settled in Knox County, where he remained 3 years moving to McDonald Co in 1857 where he purchased 80 acres and lived on and improved it ten yeas. His next purchase was made 3 mi. Northwest of where he had lived and after residing here 5 years moved to Decatur Co Iowa and at the expiration of 18 months he returned to Parke Co and settle don Section29 where he has a farm of 78 acres. October10, 1834 he married Mary Walker. By this union they became the parents of 6 children, four of whom are living: James W; Emily J; Isaac; Josephine; Josiah C and Nancy. July 13, 1847 after the death of his first wife, he married Amanda C. COX and became the father of 8 children, five of whom are living: Mary A; Charlotte; Harriet; Charles N; Uphania; Cordelia; Isaac H and William H. After the death of his second wife he married Mary ALLEN July 5, 1862. They are the parents of two children; George L and Andrew J. Mrs. Laney is also raising an orphan child, Amanda E. BOATMAN. Mr. Laney has been a member of the Methodist church for 47 years and a local preacher for 21. He is now doing good work at Pleasant Plains, Lake school house and Pleasant Hill. His wife is also a member. In an early day he was elected sheriff of Parke County and served four years. In political faith he is a democrat, casting his first presidential vote for Gen. Harrison in 1840.
LANGSTON, Hazael, pump manufacturer, Bellmore, son of Isaiah and Hattie (MILLER) Langston was born February 9, 1838 in Ripley County, IN. He is of Irish descent, his father having come from Ireland and settled in NC. His mother was a cousin of Gen. BURNSIDE. At the time of his birth, his parents lived in Union County, IN where they resided till Hazael was 12. They then moved to Fayette County, and in 1859 to Johnson Co., where Mr. Langston enlisted in 1861 at Franklin, in Co D 17th Ind. Volunteers under Capt. Allison. He was mustered in at Indianapolis by Col. (and acting general) Haskel. His war life was full of activity; he being one of 50 sharpshooters of the brigade and was mostly engaged in skirmishing He took part at Greenbrier River. At Elk River he was taken ill and his life was despaired of; but rallying after two months' sickness, he was able to resume his position. He was one of the braves who fought Bragg at Stone River. Then, mounting horses, his brigades scoured the country armed with Spencer rifles. They drew hatchets and were known as Wilder's Hatchet Brigade; the rebels called them Wilder's Hellians. They said they wound up their guns on Sun. and shot at them all the week. At Hoover's Gap his brigade took the picked position of the confederates, and held their ground against 15,000 of the enemy. He experienced Chickamauga and Chattanooga, and aided in defeating Bragg's rear guard at Ringgold. His brigade made a raid 15 miles beyond Murphy into NC, then to Charleston and Calhoun, which they guarded 3 weeks, on duty every other day, the weather being the severest. At the expiration of the 3 years' service he returned to Indianapolis and veteran for 3 years more in the same company and regiment. During the remaining years of the war his time was well occupied. He was at Atlanta, and when Sherman divided the forced Mr. Langston accompanied Thomas against Hood. To follow him from first to last throughout his military career would require more space than can be allowed, so to sum all, he took part in 49 engagements, many of them severe. At Tarpin Creek he was wounded, the ball passing through the left leg between the tibia and fibula. He was captured and taken to Cahobba prison, Alabama, where he was kept 4 weeks; from there to Macon, GA and thence to Andersonville. He was captured October7, 1864 and exchanged April 20, 1865 when he returned to Bainbridge, his home. After the war he attended school at Flora, IL, six months then engaged as traveling agent for 3 years, followed photography 2 years and then embarked in the pump business, in which he is still engaged, at Bellmore, Parke County, Indiana. He manufactures a common sense cylinder pump with very superior jaw and link and received custom from a large tract of country in two states. He was married November2, 1870 to Maggie M. BOYER of Flora, Ill, who died one year after marriage He was again married April 2, 1874 to Emily ANGELL, of Carpentersville, IN. He is a member of the Christian Church and votes the Republican Ticket.
LATOURETTE, Oliver, druggist and general merchant, Waterman, was born in Fountain County, IN four miles SE of Covington, January 9, 1837. His parents John and Sarah (SCHENK) LaTourette, came from Western NY in 1829, where they were engaged in linen weaving, and manufactured large numbers of flowered coverlids. They had a family of 14 children, six girls and 8 boys, all of whom lived to be men and women, Oliver being the second youngest. The family name was originally De LaTourette, being one of the French Protestant families which came tot his country at an early period. Up to the age of 18, Mr. LaTourette went to school, receiving the latter portion of his education at the Bloomingdale Academy. At the outbreak of the war he enlisted in the 15th Indiana reg. and served 3 years and four months, and was engaged in the battles at Murfreesboro, and Mission Ridge, besides numerous other smaller engagements. In 1870 he opened a store in Waterman and engaged in the drug business and general merchandising. His store room is 70 x 18 feet, two stories high, and his stock is large and well selected to meet the demands of the neighborhood. By strict attention to business, careful management and square dealing he has built up a first class business, his receipts for the lst 10 years averaging $3,000. March 30, 1871, he was married to Miss Mary E. DOWDELL. Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill
LAVERTY, Aquilla -- If there is one more than another in Wabash Township. or Parke Co. possession an indomitable will and determined ambition it is Aquilla Laverty. When he began for himself with nothing, his highest aspiration was to redeem the old home that through bad management and neglect had been lost before he became of age. In conversation with a friend he once said, "I started with a determination to get back the old home and never to drink a drop of intoxicating liquor." He now owns, in the northwest part of Fla. township and in the SW part of Wabash Township., 3,636 acres of splendid Wabash bottom lands, besides, in Montezuma, he owns two of the best business houses and the best private residence, also city property in Terre Haute and land in Missouri. This large amount of property he has made by his own hard labor, industry and close attention to business and is now, at the age of 58 years, actively engaged in farming and stock raising. in 1879, he had raised on his farms 23,000 bushels of wheat, besides corn and other grain, and has raised this year (1880) 1,200 acres of wheat. he was born in Wabash Township October3, 1822 and was one of the pioneer children. Though deprived of the advantages of education, he yet, in spite of adverse circumstances acquired a fair education. September12, 1850, he married Miss Elizabeth JUSTICE, who was born in this township, and is a daughter of one of the early pioneers. Mr. Laverty's time is too constantly employed with his own business to make much of an interest in politics, yet in the time of his country's peril he furnished the money and helped to raise a company for the 31st Ind. Vol. Infantry, and went with them to the front, participating in the taking of Ft. Donelson, and soon after was engaged at Pittsburgh Landing. He was severely wounded, from the effects of which he is yet lame, and as yet has not received any compensation in the way of a pension. He has four children: George W; Irene; Minnie and Kit C.
Aquila Laverty, a worthy and leading farmer of Wabash Township., Parke County was born on Section 25 of this township, October 3, 122. During the war he was in service, taking part in several important battles, and assisting with his own means to raise Co A, 31st Indiana Infantry. He has been the architect of his own fortune and has accumulated a large and valuable estate. Altogether he owns upward of 5000 acres of good land in Wabash and Florida Townships, of this county and 160 acres in Missouri. Moreover, he owns a gristmill at Armiesburg. Aquila is the son of James and Margaret Guffey Laverty, the former a native of Pennsylvania, who removed to Kentucky and later to Columbus, Ohio on the site of which city he assisted in erecting the first buildings. In the winter of 1817-18 he came by wagon to Parke County, settling on 60 acres on Section 25, which he obtained of his brother, John, who with another brother, Samuel had come to the state a year earlier and entered land. James Laverty was one of eight children, the others being Alexander, Samuel, John, Polly, Mary, Rachel & Margaret. They all removed to Indiana about the same time, where they settled and made homes for themselves. The death of our subject's father occurred in 1861 at which time he was over 80. He served in the War of 1812, and was twice married. By his first union he had 9 children: Jane, deceased was the wife of William Brockway; Cynthia first married Thomas Melvin after whose death she became the wife of Joshua Fisher; Samuel died on Powder River, Oregon; John was accidentally killed at the raising of a school house in 1832; Mary was twice married, being first the wife of John Bronson and later Mrs. James McNutt; Indiana is the wife of Hiram Brockway; Lucy A. is deceased; Aquila and Alexander who died about the year 1823, completed the number. The mother of these children was called from this life about the year 1851 after which event James Laverty married Saracida Woods, nee Luster to whom were born two children, James a resident of Kansas and Emily wife of Albert Griffin. Our subject's mother was born in Pennsylvania and was a daughter of Henry and Margaret McDowell Guffey. The former was a Captain in the War of 1812, in which he did valuable service. He was killed while plowing on his farm in Pennsylvania, though he had his gun strapped to the plow, being shot by Indians in ambush. The Guffey family, who are of Scot descent, came from an old and thoroughly respected clan in the land of Burns. Our subject's father had accumulated 400 acres of land, having lived in the West for 10 or 15 years but lost his property before his death. Aquila Laverty received only a limited education in the log schoolhouse of early days, it being a building of 16 x 18 feet in dimensions. He is largely self-educated therefore, having made the best of such opportunities as have been within his reach. At the age of 19 he began working for himself, receiving $10 a month for 3 months. Next, for some time, with his two brothers, he began farming on rented land on which he raised 3 crops and made considerable money. He took $100 and in company with his brother Alexander went to Galena, Illinois prospecting for five months in the lead mines of that locality. He doubled his money several times and returned to Wabash Township. He next proceeded to build flatboats to run to New Orleans, to which city he made about 19 trips. In the year 1847 Mr. Laverty purchased his first farm of 130 acres on Section 25, Wabash Township, which he cleared and greatly improved. He accumulated 5,000 acres in the course of time and has been very successful in his various enterprises and undertakings. About the time of the war, Mr. Laverty ran a steamboat on the Wabash River. In the fall of 1861 he was very influential in raising a company of which he was offered the captaincy, but refused, choosing rather to go as a private soldier, but later, as there was dissatisfaction in the election, our subject went in order to get the company to go. He took part in the battle of Ft. Donelson, and in company with another private soldier gave orders to his captain to retreat 3 times, until reinforced. In this case the private soldiers were really the commanders. In the battle of Shiloh, during the first day's fight, our subject was wounded in the left thigh and was granted a 30-day furlough. He went to Terre Haute and Evansville and was examined at the end of this time but found that he was unable to resume the duties and was consequently discharged at Indianapolis as a Corporal. In politics he was a Whig before the war, and has been a Republican since the organization of the party. A marriage ceremony was performed September 12, 1851 by which Miss Elizabeth Justus became the wife of our subject. She was born in Wabash Township in 1869, and is the daughter of Aquila and Mary (Gormley) Justus, who emigrated from Ohio to Parke County in 1824. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Laverty has been bless with a number of children: Mary who is deceased; Henry who died at age 14; George, who is the third in order of birth; Irena who is the wife of J. C. Casto; Erminie and Kittie C, at home and Jessie F. who died in infancy. The mother, who was a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal church, was called to the home beyond on August 2, 1890. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 585
James LAVERTY who is serving as County Surveyor of Warren County was born in Parke County, Indiana 17 March 1822. He was reared to manhood in the place of his nativity and received a common school education in Parke County and at age 17 enter Asbury (Now DePauw) University of Greencastle Indiana at which he was graduated in 1844 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Three years later the degree of Master of Arts was conferred upon him by the same institution. A young man of bright intellect, he turned his attention to the profession of teaching, which he followed in his native state. His parents were John M. and Nancy McNutt Laverty, the former born in Pennsylvania in 1792 and the latter in Ohio in February 1803. In 1848 they removed to Warren County, Iowa where their remaining days were passed, the mother's death occurring in 1859 while the father survived until 1 January 1872. They had several children but all die din infancy except the gentleman whose name heads this record. His paternal grandparents were Isaac and Jane Martin Laverty, the latter a native of Ireland. The maternal grandparents were born in Ireland and emigrated to Virginia the grandfather; James McNutt received a tract of land in Ohio from the state of Virginia in reward for his services as a soldier of the Revolution. John M. Laverty was a soldier in the war of 1812 and his military record was a brilliant one. He too was given a land warrant which he located in the West. He was a man of good education, a very prominent citizen of the Hawkeye State and with the history of its development his name is inseparably connected. He served as the first Surveyor of Warren County and laid out the town of Indianola. To him the county owes much of its prosperity and progress for he belonged to that class of representative citizens who were untiring in their efforts to promote the general welfare. A devout man, his high Christian character and sterling worth commended him to the high regard of all and his friends were many. His first wife was an estimable Christian lady who died in 160. The following year he married Miss Electa Miller of Palmyra, Iowa. The gentleman whose name heads this record was married in 1845 to Miss Mary A. Peck a native of Putnam County, Indiana born 1823. At the time of their marriage he was engaged in teaching in Terre Haute and they began their domestic life in that city. In 1847 they removed to Polk County, Iowa where Mr. Laverty engaged in farming. A peculiar feature of this settlement is the fact that the boundaries of the county and township were changed so that he has lived in two counties and five townships yet has never moved until coming to Indianola in 1893. He continued his residence upon his farm for many years and his home was blessed with two children by the first marriage: Este Fidelia, the eldest is now the wife of I. L. Harvey who resides upon land in Warren County which her father entered in1848; she was born in Terre Haute; John W is also engaged in farming in the old homestead. He was born in Polk, now Warren County in 1848 and is probably one of the oldest native-born persons in the county. The mother of the family died in March 1879 and on 26 December following Mr. Laverty was married to Mrs. Lydia Clough whose maiden name was Rice. She is a native of Meigs County Ohio. Among the honored pioneers of Iowa, James Laverty well deserves mention. He emigrated to this state not only in an early day but also laid land warrants for other parties and was thus instrumental in bringing many of his former neighbors to this locality. His own farm he entered from the Government and with characteristic energy began the improvement of the tract of wild land which he transformed into rich and fertile fields, making it one of the valued properties of the county. When not employed in official work he continued its operation until 1893, when he removed to Indianola. His worth and ability are recognized by those who know him and he has therefore been called to several public offices. He served for two terms as a member of the board of Supervisors of Warren County was county surveyor of Polk in 1849 and 1850 and is now serving his third term as County Surveyor of Warren County. His life has been very closely identified with the growth and progress of this locality and he is widely recognized as honored and useful citizen. He was a member of the building committee which erected the Warren county courthouse and has given his support to many interests and enterprises calculated to promote the general welfare. He can relate many amusing and interesting incidents of pioneer life in this locality concerning the time when it was a sparsely settled region and gave little promise of rapidly developing civilization. Socially, Mr. Laverty is connected with the Masonic fraternity, having been initiated into the mysteries of the order in 1860. In early life he usually supported the Whig party, and in 1856 voted the American ticket. He has since been a stanch Republican giving his individual support to the man and measures of that party. He has done his duty by his neighbor, his country and himself and his honorable, upright life, filled with many good deeds is deserving of emulation - A Memorial and biographical record of Iowa Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, 1896, Page 413
Hiram F. LEAR. - This prominent citizen of Wolcott, White county, Indiana, was born in Culpeper, Virginia, January 21, 1821, and is descended from illustrious ancestors. His paternal grandfather, John Lear, was of English birth, but took up arms in the defense of American liberty. He, together with John Sanders and George Washington, carried the body of General Braddock to the rear, at his death, while his comrades, the " Virginia Blues," saved the day. General Braddock's sister, living in England, sent to each of the three ten pounds sterling and a new cockade. Mr. Lear has seen the one owned by his grandfather, which is now in the Culpeper court-house in Virginia. The maternal grandparents were of English descent and named Spicer, and through them he claims to be descended from Pocahontas. His father, Nathaniel M. Lear, was born in Fork Erie, Virginia, and lived there until 1837, when he moved to Belmont county, Ohio, and seven years later to Union township, White county, Indiana. He farmed here for two years and then moved to Parke county, where he purchased eighty acres of land near Rockville. He died on this farm in 1867, at the age of seventy- two years. He was twice married, — first to Miss Mariah Spicer, who was born in Virginia, and died at the age of twenty-five years. Mr. Lear can remember being taken to her funeral when he was twenty-two months old, so strong an impression did it make on his youthful mind. She left three children: John, who died at Monticello; Hiram, our subject; and Joseph, who resides near Bethany, Missouri. The father was married in 1825, to Mary Spicer, a sister of his first wife. She died in 1840. Twelve children were the result of this marriage, of whom we chronicle the following items : Julia is the wife of Jordon Crane, of Nebraska ; Sarah is the widow of Bart. Bunnel, of Wolcott ; Albert and Frank are dead ; Elizabeth is the wife of John Cox, of Rockville, Indiana ; Caroline is the wife of Daniel Cox, of Rockville ; William is deceased ; Mary Jane is the wife of James McClane, of Brooklyn, Indiana ; and the others died in infancy. When Hiram Lear was sixteen years old he accompanied his parents from Virginia to Belmont county, Ohio, and later to White county, Indiana. He remained at home, near Monticello, until he had attained his twenty-first birthday, when his father gave him a Spanish milled dollar and bade him make his fortune. He secured work of neighboring farmers, first of Thomas Bunnell, near Monticello, for whom he worked for ten dollars a month, later for M. Kenton, at twelve dollars a month. Then he and his brother John rented eighty acres in the vicinity of Chalmers, and followed agricultural pursuits there for several years. In 1844 he started by himself and entered his first forty acres in 1855, at Winamac. He added another forty each year until he had four hundred acres five miles from Wolcott. Afterward he bought one hundred and twenty acres, at five dollars an acre, and kept adding to this until he owned eight hundred acres. He has given to each son a farm and still retains the old home of two hundred and forty acres, besides two hundred acres near Chalmers. He has done general farming and raised large numbers of stock, having from fifty to one hundred head of cattle and two hundred sheep, but he has now retired from the stock business and does only general farming. From 1853 to 1859 he was engaged in the general mercantile business at Monon, Indiana, with William Watson as partner, but his interest is now centered in his farm property. Mr. Lear was married in 1857, in Big Creek township, to Margaret A. Burns, a daughter of John and Malinda (Forgeson) Burns, who came to this county from Germany in 1833. She was born July 4, 1831, and has been a helpmate in every sense of the word. She is a most prepossessing lady and has a host of warm friends here. They have a large family of children, viz. : Frank, of Monticello; Charles, on the Big Creek farm; Thomas, James and Fay are on farms adjoining their father; Zora is deceased, as is also Samuel; Bert is a student; David died in infancy; Jennie is at home, as are Bessie and Hugh. Mr. Lear is a Republican in politics, but has never devoted his time to the cause of his party. He was formerly a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of Rensselaer. He was born in a Methodist family but reared in a Quaker atmosphere, having been practically adopted by a Quaker family for three years. These teachings developed a fine sense of justice that is one of his dominating qualities, and has enabled him to quiet many a neighborhood quarrel. He has a strong personality that is felt throughout the entire community. - Biographical History of Tippecanoe, White, Jasper, Newton, Benton, Warren and Pulaski Counties, Indiana, Volume II... - Pages 795-797 - by Lewis Publishing Co - Tippecanoe County (Ind.) - 1899
Frederick W. LEATHERMAN who is Trustee of Adams Township, Parke County, makes his home in Rockville and is engaged in buying and shipping cattle, hops and sheep. He does quite an extensive business in this line, shipping to Chicago, Buffalo and eastern points. Mr. Leatherman was born six miles west of Greencastle in Putnam County Indiana December 8, 1853 and is a son of Washington Leatherman whose birth occurred in the same county about 1825. Our subject's grandfather, John was a native of Pennsylvania, and migrated to Indiana when quite a young man, being one of the first settlers of Putnam County. He was also one of the pioneer preachers of the Baptist denomination in these parts. As in the early days pastoral work in the west was far from remunerative and as he had a large family, he entered land of the government and devoted much of his attention to agricultural pursuits. Our subject's father was the eldest son in his father's family and was reared to manhood on the old homestead. He took for his wife Miss Seaba Swinford, who was also a native of Putnam County, and the daughter of an early settler in that region. After his marriage, Mr. Leatherman, Sr., bought a farm in the same township in which he had been brought up, the place being partly improved. To its further cultivation and development he devoted himself for many years, and made it his home until the death of his wife in 1885. He then rented his farm and went to Colorado, where he is still living, though well along in years. Frederick W. Leatherman had 3 brothers and 3 sisters, of whom two brothers and one sister are still living. He was reared to man's estate in Clinton Township, and there married Miss Maggie Perkins, who died in the year 1883. She was the mother of 4 children: Manda, Claude, Myrtle and Ivy, who are still living at home. After his marriage Mr. Leatherman engaged in farming for many years, and for about 12 was engaged mainly in shipping stock. As an agriculturist, he was very successful but he has preferred to buy and sell rather than to raise cattle and farm products. For his second wife, Mr. Leatherman married Mrs. Jennie Wyson, who was a daughter of William Brown, pioneer of that county. In March, 1885, Mrs. Leatherman was called to her final rest. In 1883, Mr. Leatherman settled in Rockville, Parke County and here occurred his marriage in 1887 to Miss Emma Strain. This lady, daughter of one of the worthy citizens of this county departed life in 1890. Some time afterward Miss Mary Hessler became the wife of Mr. Leatherman. Her father, Grandville Hessler, was a well-known and prosperous farmer of Parke County. Mr. Leatherman is a staunch supporter of the Democratic Party and though not desirous of political honors, he was elected Trustee of Adams Twp in spring of 1891, his term to run 4 years. He is a believer in good schools and teachers and it is largely to his influence that the salary of teachers in this vicinity has been increased for it is his opinion that a good one should receive just remuneration, while a poor teacher is dear at any price. Fraternally, Mr. Leatherman is a member of the Knights of Pythias, and religiously belongs to the Methodist Church of which his wife is also a member. He has ever borne his part in the upbuilding and development of the community and for his faithful performance of the duties devolving upon him as a citizen he is deserving of all credits. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 526
John H. LEE. It would be difficult to find within the city of Rockville a more pleasant home than the residence occupied by Mr. Lee which is located on Indiana Street and surrounded by beautiful and well-kept grounds. In the course of a long and honorable business career, many varied experiences have been his and heavy losses have occasionally met his enterprises, but the losses have been more than retrieved through the investments, so that now he has sufficient of this world's goods to free his old age from the cares of poverty. In retirement from the active duties which formerly engaged his attention he is enjoying the fruits of his labors and in his beautiful home, with the loving care of his family to contribute to his happiness, he is passing his declining years in peace and contentment. Mr. Lee was born in Somersetshire, England in 1840 on 11 September. His father, John L. was a farmer in the old country. The mother of our subject was Mrs. Rachel Flood Lee. She was the mother of 5 children, two sons and 3 daughters. Her sister, Mrs. Jones resides in Vermillion County, this state. John Lee and his wife took great pride in educating their children, thus preparing them for an active business career. Mr. Lee received his education in the public schools in England. When he was 18 he went to London and there engaged in the bakery business with his brother, William J. Lee. After he had acquired a goodly knowledge of this business he worked in his own interest for 6 or 7 years, then engaged in the butcher business. In 1861 Mr. Lee was married to Miss Emma M. Green, who is the daughter of Charles Green. She was born in Bristol, England but at the time of her marriage was living in London. Her father was a baker in that city, which business he had followed for several years. Nine years after marriage Mr. and Mrs. Lee emigrated to America and lived near Kingston, Canada and began his career as a farmer, where he remained 10 months. In the spring of the following year he removed to Oswego City NY where he worked as a journeyman butcher for about one and one-half years, at the end of which time he came to Montezuma, this county. Here he worked for Mr. Burns in a fire-brick factory which pursuit he continued to follow until spring, when he opened a meat-market in that place. In this business he was very profitable, receiving a good portion of the people's trade and so continued in this line for about six months. In 1883 he came to Rockville where he again started in this old business but was burned out December 28, 1892. After this unfortunate event he concluded to rest for a time, but expects to take up again his former occupation in a short period. During the past 20 years he has been engaged in buying, selling and shipping stock. About 2 years ago in the spring of 1891, he started a brick kiln, which has afforded him a good income and he now furnishes the demand for brick in Parke County. To Mr. Lee and wife have been born 10 children, all living: Henry S; Frederick S; Charles W; Adelaide; Walter; Oliver; George; Elizabeth; Herbert and Arthur. Henry is at Danville, Ill in the insurance business; Charles is following the former occupation of his father in this town; Fred is in NY City, traveling in the interests of a pork-packing establishment. The rest of the family are all at home. Mr. Lee is a Republican in politics and also a member of the city Board of Rockwell (sic) to which he has belonged for 5 years. He has always advocated industries, especially those beneficial to a town. He has been one of the principal parties to forward the electric-light system. He is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and has held every office in this lodge and claims membership with the Grand Lodge of the state. In his religious views he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and is one of the Trustees of that congregation in Rockville. He is a good paying member and active worker and one whose time is now occupied altogether with business affairs. Mr. Lee owns one of the finest residences in the town of Rockville, besides having in his possession 170 acres of land in Adams Township, which is mainly well improved. This he devotes to general farming and stock raising, shipping a great amount of stock to Indianapolis and Chicago. No one takes greater pride in the prosperity of Rockville than does the gentleman of whom we write, and not only is he liked by the rich and fortunate, but by the young and needy and those who are struggling for recognition. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 539
LEWIS, John W., farmer, Roseville, an enterprising and gentlemanly farmer of this section, was born November10, 1837 on the place on which he now lives. His father, Isaac Lewis, was born June 16, 1803 and at the age of 27 years came to Parke from Highland County, Ohio and settled on Walker's Bluff in the Fall of 1831. He remained here but a short time when he removed to Perrysville and spent the winter with relations, intending to settle in that neighborhood, but owing to the fact that a load of hay was blown off the wagon while he was hauling, he vowed he never would live in a prairie country; consequently he returned to Parke and settled on the BURSON farm, where he lived until December20, 1832 when he moved to the farm now owned by his son, John W, and erected a small cabin about two rods E. Of the present house. The first night they slept under a tent, and in the morning found quite a little snow had fallen. Mr. Lewis lived on his farm until his death, save one year spent on the bottoms and a couple more on a farm previously purchased. His father died Oct. 11, 1871. His mother, Margaret (SHOEMAKER) Lewis, was born September 2, 1801, and died April 20, 1871. They were married November18, 1824, in Highland County, Ohio and had twelve children, eight of whom are living. John W, his son, lived with his parents until he was 21, when he commenced farming by renting a portion of his father's farm in partnership with his brother, Cyrus, and for 3 years operated his farm, being at the same time engaged in handling an underground ditcher. The fall of 1860 he and his brother purchased a farm in Edgar County, IL of 240 acres, operating it about two years. They sold out on account of an early frost the first year and heavy rains the second. He then rented for some time, and July 3, 1867, returned to Parke Co. And lived as a renter until the winter of 1872, when he purchased the home farm on Sec. 17. He now has a farm of 200 acres. February 19, 1863, he was married to Cynthia BRIGGS who died May 28, 1867 leaving one child, Wallace who was born May 24, 1864. He was married the second time to Cynthia PENCE daughter of Peter Pence, a prominent citizen of Parke April 21, 1870 in Adams Township. He is a member of the Methodist church, as is also his wife and has held the office of steward some time. He is a republican, casting his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln.
David LINDLEY, farmer, Sylvania, is one of the oldest men in the township, having been born in NC March 15, 1803, his parents, Jonathan and Susannah (MARIS) Lindley being natives of that state. He left his native state when 17 years old, and located in Greene County, Indiana, where he resided for 12 years, at the end of which time he came to Liberty Township. He has been engaged in farming all his life, and settled here in the green woods, having married Miss Nancy STALCUP in the fall of 1824, in Green County, this state. They have a family of 7 children, five of whom are now alive. Mr. Lindley has a well improved farm of 134 acres, all under fence and in a high state of cultivation, all the result of his own industry and good management. He is a member of the Society of Friends, and has been a member of the republican party since its formation. Mr. Lindley's cousin, Thomas, came to this country in 1830, locating in Liberty Township. He died May 5, 1880, in the 80th year of his age. He was married in NC to Miss M. PICKERTON and leaves a family of two children. He was a native of NC, and on coming here settled on a farm, where he remained until his death. Notwithstanding the privations and hardships incidental to pioneer life, he, with a few others, succeeded in organizing a meeting, which was subsequently located on his farm, and became known as the Ruth Creek meeting of Friends. In his death Parke Co. loses one of her best citizens. Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill
David LINDLEY was born in North Carolina in 1803 and settled in Liberty Township in 1832. He bought a farm, which he improved and brought to a high state of cultivation. He was a modem citizen and life-long member of the Friends Church. - Parke County Indiana Centennial Memorial 1816-1916 Page 115
Reuben LINDLEY, retired was born in Chatham County, North Carolina on September 6, 1792. In 1816 he emigrated to Orange County Indiana where he lived till 1839, and moved to Fountain County and bought 120 acres of land, built a log house in which he lived many years and cleared his farm. He paid $1087.50 for his farm. He brought his 2nd wife and children 9 by the first and one by second. He had two sons, two sons-in-law and 5 grandsons int he civil war. He was a strong Jackson man then whig and later republican. His first wife was Elizabeth Martin and 2nd Dinah Towell. Lot B. Lindley, son of Reuben and ELizabeth Martin Lindley was born December 27, 1819 in Orange County, Indiana. He learned the shoemaker's trade which he followed many years. He moved with his parents in 1839 to Fountain County. In 1840 he bought 80 acres and since has added 80. he has sold some and owns 106. In 1856 being desirous of founding a town, he surveyed and laid off a number of lots on his land, and by offering inducements to settlers succeeded in his undertaking as will be seen by perusing the sketch of Harveysburg. Mr. Lindley was married in 1842 to Lydia Harvey, daughter of Harlan and Ruth Harvey. He moved to Parke County then Fountain where he now lives. Mrs. Lindley died August 11, 1842. She was a quaker. Mr. Lindley was next married to Marettie C. Gifford. Her father, Jonathan Gifford died when she was 10 and she was left to partly support herself. Her mother lives in Parke County. Mrs. Lindley was born near Montezuma, Parke County June 28, 1838. Mr. and Mrs. Lindley have one child, now Mrs. Elizabeth J. Morrison living and two children deceased, Semira E and Margaret A. Both are Methodists so also was their daughter Margaret who died June 1, 1878 aged 16. Mr. Lindley is a Mason. - Beckwith, H. W. History of Fountain County, Indiana. Chicago: H, H. Hill, 1881, Page. 405
Thomas LINDLEY located in Liberty Township in 1830 coming from North Carolina and settled on a farm where he remained until death, May 5, 1880. He was a member of the Society of Friends and helped organize Rush Creek meeting of Friends. Mr. Lindley was a model man, whose influence was potent for the best things in life. - Parke County Indiana Centennial Memorial 1816-1916 Page 115
LINEBARGER, Andrew, farmer, Montezuma, whose portrait appears in this work, is one of Parke County's old and respected pioneers. He was born in Lincoln County, NC, June 8, 1815 and is the son of John and Mary Linebarger, both of whom are natives of Pa. They removed to Parke Co. in 1822 and settled on Sec. 16, Reserve Township. There they remained but a short time, and then entered land in Sec. 17. They both remained honored and respected residents of Parke Co. until their deaths, the father died in 1847 and the mother in 1857. The early life of our subject was spent in a comparatively new country, and he had such facilities for obtaining an education as were afforded by the old subscription system of schools at that time. Having been raised on a farm he followed that line of business when he had grown to man's estate and began a business life on his own account. Later in life he became quite extensively interested in stock growing, a business in which he has been very successful, and within the last 10 years he has also dealt extensively in grain. He has for some time been one of the largest stock and grain shippers in the western part of Parke Co. Mr. Linebarger is, though interested in the stock and grain trade, well known as one of the large landholders of Reserve Township. Though an active and successful business man, Mr. Lineberger (sic) has still given due time and attention to the cause of religion and to the building up of the Methodist church, of which he has been a member since he was 14 years old. This was probably due to the early teachings of his parents, who in after years became members of his family and resided with him till their deaths, which occurred as before stated. Though he was a member of a family of 8 children, he is the only one now in resident of Parke Co. Mr. Linebarger has been twice married: in 1836 to Miss Elizabeth BURTON, a native of Indiana; she died in 1846. He was married again in 1847, to Miss Mary, daughter of Joel and Susanah WARNER, who were among the early and prominent settlers of Parke County, 1832 being the date of their settlement; his death occurred in 1842 and Mrs. Warner's in 1868. Mrs. Linebarger is still living and has the respect and love of her children and husband. She is also a consistent member of the Methodist church. The family of Mr. Linebarger by his first wife are: George H; Mary A; William S; David; Levi J. and Andrew J; and by his present wife, Lewis C; Joel; Samuel C; Jacob; Elizabeth; Ida B; Luda C; Emma O; and Louisa A. The name of the deceased is Joseph H. All of those living are already, or give promise of becoming as they grow to years of maturity, honored and respected citizens of the community. (Beadle, J.H. 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana (from Historic notes on the Wabash Valley and History of Vigo County) Chicago: H. H. Hill & N. Iddings, Publishers reprinted 1977 by The Bookmark, Knightstown IN).
Andrew LINEBARGER is one of the extensive land owners of Parke County, where he now resides, his landed possessions aggregating nearly 2000 acres most of which is under a high state of cultivation. This gentleman is a well informed farmer, who from a small beginning has built up a comfortable fortune and is now enjoying the result of his industry and enterprise. He was born in Lincoln County, North Carolina June 8, 1815, to John and Mary HOOT Linebarger. His grandfather, John Linebarger whose father came from Germany and settled in the Keystone state was the only son. When a lad of 12, his parents moved to Lincoln County NC where they lived the remainder of their lives. The grandfather was a member of the Lutheran Church and was a respected and well-to-do farmer. To himself and wife were born one son, John and 7 daughters, who all lived and died in their native state, North Carolina. The father of our subject was reared on a farm, learning every minute detail pertaining to the life and participating in its labors sufficiently to allow him due appreciation for the pleasures which he enjoyed. In the year 1820 he sold out and with a 4-horse team moved to Bartholomew County, Indiana being six weeks on the way, camping and cooking by the wayside. In the spring of 1822 he again moved and located on Section 16, Reserve Township, this county where he cleared 160 acres of timberland. Two years after, when land came into market, he entered 176 acres on Sections 17 and 18, which he cleared and improved, remaining there but a short time, when he located on section 18 where he remained six or seven years. At the end of this time he purchased a part of the farm on which our subject now makes his home and there remained until his death in May 1847. Ten years after his wife passed from this life. They were both members of the Lutheran Church until they settled in Indiana when they became connected with the Methodist denomination and were instrumental in the organization of the first church of that faith in the county. The parents of our subject on their arrival in this state were in very straitened circumstances having but $5 in money in their possession. But by hard work and perseverance they met all discouragements with a stout heart and by persistency were enabled to surmount all obstacles in their way. The father increased his landed possessions to about 400 acres. During his life he served as constable and justice of the peace, discharging his duties faithfully. He cast his vote with the Democratic Party. Our subject is one of a family of 8 children, he being the only survivor. He was brought up on the old homestead, receiving a limited education, the first school that he attended being conducted on the subscription system by Darius Harger on Section 21, near where his present home now is. At the age of 20 he commenced farming on his own account on the homestead, clearing and raising crops. In 1840 he located on 80 acres of timberland on Section 12 which he also cleared. Since then he has accumulated property until he owns an extensive territory of near 2000 acres in Reserve, Liberty & Penn Townships, and has given to his children as a start in life about $16,000 in currency. Besides carrying on general farming he is successfully engaged in raising grain and is a breeder of Polled-Angus Aberdeen cattle and has been quite an extensive shipper of grain and stock. In politics he has been a Democrat all his life and member of the Methodist Episcopal Church since 14 years of age and contributes liberally for the support of all religious enterprises. His word is considered as good as his bond and he is always in favor of anything that tends to enhance the prosperity of his township and community. February 14, 1836, Mr. Linebarger married Elizabeth, daughter of Levi and Mary Mitchell BURTON who was born near New Albany in 1817. Her parents came from Maryland and settled in Parke County about 1823, first settling near New Albany, Indiana. To Mr. and Mrs. Linebarger were granted six children; George H; Mary A; William S; David; Levi J and Andrew J. The good wife and mother died in June 1846. Our subject was again united in marriage on 7 February 1847 this wife being known in her maiden days as Mary WARNER and she was born in Pennsylvania in 1827. She was the daughter of Joel and Susannah HUFF Warner, who were pioneers of Reserve Township. The former died at Evansville, Indiana while making a trip from New Orleans. The mother is also deceased. By the second union were born 10 children: Lewis C; Joe; Samuel C; Jacob; Joseph who died at age 4; Elizabeth L, wife of J. T. Lewman; Ida B., wife of Charles Causey; Luda C.; Anna O., wife of Salmon Wright and Louisa A., wife of John H. Linebarger. The mother of this family died August 4, 1890 at age 63. She was a faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Linebarger has attained success in his chosen career by fair dealings and during his many years residence in this county has always shown himself to be entirely worthy of the high estimation in which he is held by many friends and acquaintances. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 282
LINEBARGER, George H., farmer, Montezuma, is the son of Andrew Linebarger, who is one of the pioneers of Parke Co., having come to the county as early as 1822. Mr. Linebarger has been a resident of Parke Co. all his life, and was born December20, 1836. He is one of the 16 of the family who were all born in Parke Co., and at the present writing are all living but one. Mr. Linebarger was raised on a farm, and he has been an humble tiller of the soil all his life. He is the owner of 440 acres of land which is located on the second bottoms of Reserve Township., and is the best adapted for all agricultural purposes of any land in Parke Co. (Beadle, J.H. 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana (from Historic notes on the Wabash Valley and History of Vigo County) Chicago: H. H. Hill & N. Iddings, Publishers reprinted 1977 by The Bookmark, Knightstown IN).
History of Parke and Vermillion Counties Indiana, Indianapolis: B. F. Bowen, 1912, Page 456 -- The men most influential in promotion the advancement of society and in giving character to the times in which they live are two classes - the men of study and men of action. Whether we are not more indebted for the improvement of the age to the one class or the other is a question of honest difference of opinion; neither can be spared and both should be encouraged to occupy their several spheres of labor and influence zealously and without mutual distrust. In the following paragraphs are briefly outlined the leading facts and characteristics in the career of a gentleman who combines in his make-up the elements of the scholar and the energy of the public-spirited man of affairs. Devoted to the noble and humane work of teaching, Prof. John A. Linebarger the efficient and popular superintendent of the Rockville Public Schools, Parke County Indiana has made his influence felt in a most potent manner in the locality of which this history treats. All who come within range of his influence are profuse in their praise of his admirable qualities and the high regard in which he is held, not only professionally but socially, indicates the possession of attributes and characteristics that fully entitle him to the respect and consideration of his fellow men. John A. LINEBARGER was born in West Union, Reserve Township, Parke County on February 28, 1876 and is the son of George and Mariah (Hocker) Linebarger, both natives of Parke Co. George Linebarger who still lives at West Union is a farmer by vocation and possesses those sterling qualities which have gained for him a high standing among the best men in his community. The subject's paternal grandfather, Andrew Linebarger, was a native of NC, and came to Parke County in 1822, being numbered among the pioneers of this section of the state. He settled at West Union where he spent the remainder of his life, dying April 28, 1907 at age 92. He was married twice, first to Elizabeth Burton and then to Mary Warner and became the father of 15 children. To George and Mariah Linebarger were born six of whom 4 are living: the subject; Mary and Melvina and home and Mrs. Iva Scott of Santiago Chile whose husband is a teacher of mathematics in a boys' institute there. Both of the subject's parents taught in the he schools of Parke Co prior to their marriage. John A. Linebarger received his elementary education in the common schools of Reserve Township, following which he entered DePauw University at Greencastle where he spent 7 years, 3 in the preparatory department and 4 in the college proper. He was graduate din June 1897 with degree of Bachelor of Arts and took the Phi Beta Kappa honors. He was also a tutor in Greek for two year sin the university while a student. Following his graduation, Professor Linebarger was for two years engaged in teaching school in his home township following which he gave two years' service as principal of the high school at Fowler, Indiana. He then became superintendent of the public schools at Montezuma, this county remaining there 4 years and establishing a record of efficiency and ability that was bound to receive larger recognition. 7 years ago he was offered and accepted the position of superintendent of the schools at Rockville in which position he has been retained from year to year his administration of the schools being eminently satisfactory to both board and patrons. He has brought the schools up to a standard of efficiency that ranks them with any in this section of the state, due to his force of character, ability as an organizer and the results of his professional experience. He has shown himself to be a man of progressive ideas, broad-minded and he keeps fully abreast of the times in all matters pertaining to his profession. His work is characteristically practical and in teaching or in superintending and arranging the course of study, he possesses to a notable degree the sense of proportion and fitness. Although a school man in the broadest and best sense of the term, Professor Linebarger has never become narrow or pedantic but is a well-rounded, symmetrically-developed man, fully alive to the demands of the times, thoroughly informed on the leading questions before the public and takes broad views of men and things. His abilities have been recognized by his professional brethren through the state and he is a prominent member of the Southern Indiana Teachers' Association comprising 3000 members being the present chairman of that body. Religiously, Professor Linebarger is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the activities of which he is deeply interested especially in the Sunday school where he is the teacher of the men's Bible class of 135 members. Fraternally, he is a member of the Free & Accepted Masons, while his social affiliation is with the Shakespeare Club a leading literary club of Rockville. As president of the Rockville Chautauqua Association, Professor Linebarger has been an important factor in the success which has attended the institution for in this, as in everything to which he bends his energies, he gives the very best that is in him. His support may always be counted upon in favor of every movement having for its object the advancement of the city's best interests. On November 22, 1905 John A. Linebarger was married to Iva Blue, of Montezuma, daughter of James M. and Mary A. (Brown) Blue, a well known Parke County family. Mr. Blue died on December 28, 1907 being survived by his widow.
LINEBARGER, W.S., farmer, Bloomingdale, was born in Reserve Township, Parke County, IN, October13, 1840. He is the son of Andrew Linebarger, who is one of the early and respected pioneers of Parke County, having come to the county as early as 1822. Mr. Linebarger was raised on a farm, which occupation he has followed all his life. in 1862, he was married to Melvina MORRIS, daughter of Nathan and Maria MORRIS. She was born in Parke County, IN July 10, 1846. Their family consists of Mary A; Dora; Nathan A; William L and Effie M. (Beadle, J.H. 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana (from Historic notes on the Wabash Valley and History of Vigo County) Chicago: H. H. Hill & N. Iddings, Publishers reprinted 1977 by The Bookmark, Knightstown IN).
Clarissa Minerva LOREE was born in Sharon, Schara County, New York August 26, 1816. She came with her people to Parke County, Indiana in 1820 where she lived until her death July 20, 1905. She was married to Friend Carter BROWN August 21, 1823 and they were the parents of 11 children, 5 of whom are living: Jno T. of Florida Township who was a soldier in the Civil War; Lonea E. wife of Dr. Jno. T. Rice of Attica, Indiana; Mrs. Emily B. Rukes of Rosedale, Indiana; Martha wife of John Silcott of Indianola, Iowa; and F. Brown of Florida Township , who resides on the old home place about one mile northwest of the John T. Brown farm. Among those deceased was James Marion who several years ago was connected with the Rockville National Bank. They were also the grandparents of the authoress, Katherine Holland Brown. She often related very interesting stories of the pioneer days. Sometimes of the few Indians then still to be seen in this part of the country, and especially of the notorious Johnny Green who boasted he had scalped 9 children and intended getting the 100th before he died. She and her sister were terribly afraid of him, and often in concealing themselves hid in the very most dangerous places imaginable, thinking like the ostrich if their heads were out of sight they were safe. However, no harm ever befell them from this source. Friend Carter Brown Friend Carter Brown, son of Samuel and Tabitha Carter Brown was born May 10, 1805 in Nelson Co Kentucky. He came with his father and family to Rockport, Indiana in 1815 where his father bought a farm and they lived until his father's death. Sometime afterwards his mother married again and they with her family (Lydia; Squire; Daniel; Friend; Azariah; Eliza; Silas Miles and Susan) moved to Parke County in 1824 where he continued living until his death February 14, 1864. - Historical Sketch of Parke County, Indiana, 1916 Page 106
LOUGH, Jacob BORN farmer, Waveland, was born in Cumberland Co in 1810. He is the son of Thomas and Nancy (Bishong) Lough, both natives of Cumberland County, Kentucky. Thomas Lough and his father were musicians. Thomas was a drummer, and did good service in beating up volunteers, both in the Indian wars of the northwest territory and in the late war. His father served in the revolutionary war under Washington as fifer. Thomas BORN Lough came to Indiana at the beginning of the rebellion and died in 1865, aged 77 years; his wife died in her 77th year, two days after her husband. Jacob Lough's paternal grandmother was Nancy Warner, cousin to George Washington. His maternal grandfather was captain of a company under Gen. Harrison. Jacob BORN Lough was married in 1843 in Kentucky, and remained there till he could earn a vehicle to convey him to Parke Co. By his first wife, he had 3 children: Thomas W, George W. And Sarepta died His first wife, Rosanna Stalcup, died in 1846, aged 28 years. He was married a second time tin 1847, to Mrs. Emily J. (Mcguffey) English. By this union he has two children: Elva J. And Perry J. He and his first and second wife and all his children are members of the Christian church. In politics he was formerly a Whig, but is now a republican. George W. Was a soldier in the 21st reg. Indiana Volunteers, and served 3 years. When Mr. Lough was married he and his wife had but a very limited share of this world's goods. He now owns a good farm of 305 acres and has it fairly stocked. He never cared for office and never was sued in his life. His education is that of the common schools of his boyhood. (1880 History of Parke County, Indiana J. H. Beadle, Chicago: H. H. Hill & N. Iddings, Publishers).
LOYD, Isaac farmer and stock breeder, Russellville, was born in Clermont Co Ohio in 1835. He is the son of Samuel and Margaret RAMB Loyd, both natives of Delaware, who came to Ohio the year their son Isaac was born, remaining there some two years and then coming to Putnam County, IN. Mr. Isaac LOYD was married in 1856 to Sarah F. NUTGRASS, daughter of Harrison and Nancy JOHNSON Nutgrass. By this union he has 4 children: John, Elizabeth, Ida M and an infant not named. The first is now a student at Ladoga, Indiana. Mr. Loyd is a Republican in politics. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Russellville. He was trustee of his township in Benton County, where he lived before he came to Greene Township. When he was married he rented land, giving one-half of the crop for rent. It was in this way he bought his first farm of 151 acres. He now owns 255 acres of good farming land, well improved and well stocked. His education is that of the common school, and one year in the university, at Greencastle, Indiana. In the past he has been remarkably successful in business, which is due to his energy and judgment. (Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill)
LUNDGREN, John P., farmer and general merchant, Russell's Mills, is a native of Sweden, having been born in Carlshamn in 1833. In 1852, he sailed from Gottenburg for America on the clipper ship, Levi Woodbury, arriving at NY after a voyage of seven weeks' duration. After remaining in this country 3 years he returned to his native land on a visit, coming back to America in 1855. He at once came west to Chicago, and from there went to Newport, Vermillion county. He traveled around a good deal and finally settled down in Sugar Creek Township, Russell's Mills, in 1870, where he has sixty five acres of good land, which he has beautifully laid out, and is engaged largely in horticulture and market gardening. He also runs a general store at Grangetown, in the northeast corner of the township. In 1859, he married Miss Lucinda McKee; the result of which union is a family of 7 children: Antonius; Lurina; Ida D; Minnie Lamoin; Paul; Cecil L and Maude BORN In 1876, Mr. Lundgren was elected township trustee and served two terms in that capacity with satisfaction to the people and honor to himself. He is a member of Parke Lodge, IOOF and is master of Liberty Grange being one of the leading men in that organization in this party of the country. In politics he is an enthusiastic member of the national greenback party. Taken from: 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana by J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill & N. Iddings, Publishers.
LUSK, William, farmer and stock dealer, Lusk's Springs, the son of Salmon and Mary (Beard) Lusk, was born near Clinton, in Vermilion County, Indiana in 1824. His father was a native of Vermont, who enlisted as a soldier and located at Ft. Harrison in 1816; shortly afterward he bought a farm in Vermilion County, got married and moved on it, his wife being the daughter of old John Beard, who built the first mill on Sugar Creek. He remained there, working on the farm and running what was known as the Durgee's ferry, until April 3, 1826, when he removed to Sugar Creek Township, settling at the narrows, and there erected a mill, which had 3 runs of burrs and a saw, doing a very large business in grinding, sawing and packing pork, and sent as high as 20 flatboats to New Orleans annually. The mill and all the surrounding buildings were swept away by what is known as the New Year's freshet, on New Year's morning at 8 o'clock, 1847. Mr. Lusk has one brother, John and two sisters, Lydia and Susan, now alive; his brother Salmon, who enlisted in the 85th In Vol. having been killed at Thompson Station, TN. Mr. William Lusk received his education at a log schoolhouse which was situated north of the narrows, an old man named James Downey being the teacher and during life has engaged in agricultural pursuits entirely, his farm of 1,020 acres requiring most of his time. In 1849, he went to California, during the gold fever and remained there 3 years, returning with $1,800. He married, October16, 1860, Miss Sarah Davis, daughter of Samuel Davis, one of the first settlers at Bloomingdale; by whom he has had 7 children, six of whom are still alive: Dewitt C; Chancey W; Arthelia; William L; Samuel Salmon and Lindell J. He is a member of Annapolis Lodge AF & AM and in politics is republican. His fatherdiedAugust28, 1869; his mother yet survives at the age of 78 years. Taken from: 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana by J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill & N. Iddings, Publishers.
LUSK, William. This name will be recognized by our readers as that of a gentleman who has borne an important part in the development of the agricultural resources of Washington Township, Parke County. He is a son of Solomon and Mary Beard Lusk, and was born in Vermillion County December 7, 1825. The former parent was born in Poltney Rutland County, Vermont, where he grew to manhood, remaining with his parents until reaching maturity. He was of Irish and English descent. In 1816 he went to Fort Harrison, Indiana, and soon after entered the United States service under General Harrison, where he remained for two years, during which time he suffered an attack from the Indians. After he left the US service he purchased a farm in Bruit's Creek, Vermillion County, but in a few years sold this tract and came to Parke County, where he bought a farm on Sugar Creek and ran a sawmill for 21 years. During all these years, he managed to accumulate land until he had about 3000 acres which he entered from the Government, besides 900 acres which he bought of the Chief Black Hawk in Iowa. About the year 1818 Mr. Beard, our subject's grandfather, went with his family to Ft. Harrison where his son-in-law had settled and there located. Solomon Lusk was married about 1820 to a daughter of John Beard, of Maryland. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church. Politically he was a Whig, and in later years took his stand with the Republicans. He fought gallantly in the late struggle between the North and South and when Lincoln issued the call for recruits he was actively engaged in reinforcing the army. At this time his son Salmon, who was afterward killed in a battle fought at Thompson Station near Nashville was enlisted. The father of our subject was the first to purchase Government bonds sold in the county at the time of the war. To himself and wife 10 children were born, four of whom are yet living: William; John; Lydia and Susan. He died at age 82, his wife surviving him some years. William Lusk took charge of part of his father's business at the age of 25. His educational advantages, which were limited, were received in the district schools of this township. At the time when the gold fever was prevalent throughout the country he was seized with a desire to go to California, and in 1849, with a company known as the Illinois & Springfield, he started across the plains in March, and after a comparatively uneventful journey of 7 months, arrived in the Golden State. For some months he was engaged in the mines on the Middle Fork of the American River, where he was moderately successful. Subsequently he embarked as "mine host" in the hotel business, which proved even more profitable than was his former occupation. After a sojourn in the western states of 3 and 1/2 years, during which time his life was made up of alternate days of sunshine and shadow, of encouragements and discouragements, our subject boarded the steamer. "Winfield Scott," and sailed to Panama, thence taking the "Northern Light" to NY city. After his return home he attended the Waveland School for two terms, remaining at home with his father until his marriage to Sarah DAVIS. This union has been blessed by the birth of 8 children: four of whom died in childhood. Those living are: DeWitt; Chancey; Arthelia and Lindell J. Arthelia is the wife of Nathan Woods. Socially Mr. Lusk is a prominent member of the Ancient Free & Accepted Masons. Politically he was formerly a Republican, but is now a strong Prohibitionist. He has served the Republican party as delegate to several state conventions. For a number of years he has led a retired life, and in the last decade has traveled a great deal his journeys covering over 7000 miles. He has visited almost every state in the Union, including Canada and Mexico. He has spent a number of winters in the sunny state of Florida, and is always ready to share the information thus gained with his associates. As a citizen of Washington Township, Mr. Lusk ranks among the most wealthy and cultured. At the present time he owns a large estate comprising 600 acres of productive land. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana (Chapman, 1893 p 396)
LUTHER, C. W., grocer, Bloomingdale, is a native of Penn, born in 1837, and at three years of age his parents came to Greensburg, Indiana, thence to Shelby County, where Mr. Luther was raised to manhood, during which time he served an apprenticeship at the printer's trade. In 1861, when the rebellion broke out, he was among the first to enlist. He served one year and three months in Co. A, 16th Ind. Vols. Afterward he enlisted in Co. F 70th Ind. Volunteers in which he served until the close of the war, having participated in the battles of Resaca, where he was slightly wounded, Peach Tree Creek and Kenesaw mountain. He went out as a private and was honorable discharged as second sergeant. After the close of the war he went to Louisville, Indiana. In 1866, he married Miss Mattie SMITH and soon after moved to Grant County, Indiana, where he followed farming for six years, and afterward came to Hillsborough, Indiana, where he engaged in the mercantile business for five years and kept the post office at the same time at that place. In 1879, he became a citizen of Bloomingdale, where he has since been engaged in the grocery business, and by his former experience in the business he is able to judge the quality of goods in his line and only buys the best. When he sells to his many customers he establishes their confidence in their choice of a place to trade. Taken from: Page306 History of Parke Co IN; J. H. Beadle, Chicago: H. H. Hill, 1880)