Parke County Indiana Biographies - Mc
Please send any additions or corrections to James D. VanDerMark
Hugh McCALIP, a retired minister of the Missionary Baptist Church is now identified with the farmers and stock raisers of Montgomery County and has a finely appointed farm in Scott Twp. He is a native of this state and was born August 17, 1835 in Bartholomew County. His father, H. K. McCalip, was born in Kentucky and was 12 when the family settled among the early pioneers of Bartholomew County, this state where he grew to a stalwart manhood and in due time was married to Miss Catherine RAY. He was a farmer and was actively engaged in his occupation in the same place in Bartholomew County until his demise in 1883. His wife survived him until March 1890 and was then laid to rest by his side. They were people of high moral character and were devout members of the Missionary Baptist Church, to which he had belonged 40 years and he was a deacon of the church. The following of their children survive: our subject; Goodson, a farmer living in Nebraska; William a resident of Columbus; John, a resident of Crawfordsville and Margaret wife of David VANSHIKE, a harness maker at Scotia, NB. The subject of this biographical review passed his boyhood on his father's farm in his native county and besides receiving a thorough drilling in all that pertains to farming obtained such an education as was afforded by the district schools. In early manhood he married Miss Samantha J. daughter of Daniel TERRY, a farmer of Shelby Co. After his marriage, he located on a farm and continued to farm in Barth. Co. until the war broke out. When Pres. Lincoln issued his call for 300,000 volunteers he laid aside his work to help fight his country's battles, enlisting in August1861 in Co. I, 67th Indiana Infantry. He saw much hard service in the ensuing years, but performed his part well in camp and on the field. He was with his regiment at the battle of Arkansas Post and during an engagement with the enemy at Munfordsville, Kentucky he was taken prisoner but was paroled, and his military experience was brought to an end subsequently by his honorable discharge April 11, 1863. After he left the army Mr. McCalip engaged in the boot and shoe business at Hope, Indiana for two years and was then elected Township Trustee. He served in that capacity two terms and then devoted himself exclusively to the ministry, whose sacred duties he had taken upon himself in 1864. He first filled the pulpit of the Sharon Church in his native county occupying it for four years. His next charge was the Dry Fork Baptist Church in Shelby County and he afterward presided over the Acton & Brookfield churches for two years. The succeeding two years the churches at Geneva and Hawk Creek had the benefit of his pastoral care. Having very acceptably filled these various appointments, his health gave way from his too zealous labors and he abandoned the ministry. Removing to Greensburg, he resumed his former business for a time. The third year with renewed health he took up his sacred calling again, receiving the appointment as missionary from the Flat Rock Domestic Missionary Association. He did good work during the year that he held the office and at the end of that time he resumed preaching and looked after the spiritual interests of the Brookfield and Acton Churches. Two years later he exchanged the pulpit for secular work once more and for a year kept a hotel at Hartville. Returning to Hope he was elected Justice of the Peace by his old fellow citizens. Mr. McCalip's next move was to Osborne, Kansas where he turned his attention to the barber business. He remained there two years and then came back to this native state and for a year was occupied at the same trade in Rockville, Parke County. He spent the ensuing two years at Crawfordsville; living retired the first year and the second accepting a clerkship in a grocery store. While there his first wife died May 2, 1881 and June 22, 1882, he was married to Amanda E. GALEY the daughter of john MUNNS of Ripley Township. After his second marriage our subject located in Scott Township, where he now lives. He has a fine farm 190 acres whose well-tilled fields yield large harvests and its improvements are of the best, the residence, a handsome structure of a modern and appropriate style of architecture and the out buildings well planned and substantially built. Mr. McCalip does a general farming business and raises stock of good breeds. His sheep are the celebrated Oxford variety and he has a valuable flock of 140. Mr. McCalip is the father of four children by his first marriage: Luella, who lives at Crawfordsville; William R, Amos, who is a printer in the Star office; and Mary, who lives in the family of the Rev. Mr. Hayes, a Presbyterian minister at Muncie. Mrs. McCalip has one child by a former marriage who is now the wife of Dr. Waldon at New Market. This brief outline of the life of our subject shows him to be a Christian gentleman of irreproachable character, who has exerted a good influence in whatever community he has lived and the Missionary Baptist Church has in him one of its most earnest and faithful workers, who has been a very useful instrument in spreading its doctrine and promoting the healthy growth of the church. His wife is also a member of that church. He is a Prohibitionist in politics and takes an active interest in the temperance cause. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana (Chapman Brothers, 1893) Page 400
James L. McCALLISTER, one of the prominent and influential citizens of Lineville, Iowa, is a native of Kentucky born January 25, 1834. In 1836 his father, Merritt McCallister, moved with his family to Parke County, Indiana and settled in the woods, his neighbors being Indians and wild animals. After clearing and improving a farm in Indiana, in 1850 he moved to Monroe County, Iowa and thence a few years later to Wapello County. James L. in his youth was obliged to assist in the work of improving the pioneer farms of his father, and his educational advantages were limited to what he could obtain in the schools of a new country in an early day. After reaching manhood he engaged in agricultural pursuits for himself, which he continued until 1874 when he located at Lineville and for 4 years engaged in the furniture business. He then embarked in the grocery business which he carried on 3 years and since 1881 has lived a retired life, loaning his money. He was one of the incorporators of the Lineville Bank and is still one of its stock holders and directors. Mr. McCallister married March 5, 1857 to Miss Sophronia Saylors, a native of Hancock County Illinois a daughter of William Saylors, a native of Indiana and for many years a resident of White County Tennessee subsequently removing to Hancock County, Illinois and in 1856 to Wapello County, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. McCallister are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. - Biographical & Historical Record of Wayne & Appanoose Counties, Iowa. Chicago: Interstate Publishing, 1886, Page 401
McCAMPBELL, James N., farmer, Judson, was born in Parke County, Indiana, October13, 1840. His parents were among the early settlers of Parke County, where they still live. Mr. McCampbell is one of Parke County's respected citizens, and was among the first to enlist when the rebellion began. In 1861, he enlisted in the 9th Indiana Bat; and served 3 years 3 months, during which time he took an active part in all the battles in which the battery participated. He was in the battles of Shiloh, Pleasant Hill, Nashville, and a great many others. After the war, he ret. to Parke County, where he has been engaged in farming. in 1865 he was married to Miss Emma K. HUNT, daughter of William hunt, who came to Parke County Indiana in an early day. Mr. McCampbell's family consists of four children: Theron E; Olola V; Claude and Netha P. Mr. McCampbell is a member of the Odd Fellows, and is one of Parke County’s staunch republicans. (Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill)
McCAMPBELL, John N. farmer, Waveland was born in Parke county, May 5, 1849, and is the son of John H. And Sarah A. (Grismore) Campbell, early settlers in Parke County. John N. Was a native of Kentucky, and immigrated to Parke Co. And settled in Washington Township in 1846. Sarah A. McCampbell was a native of Clark County, Indiana. John N. Was married in 1872 to Victoria McCord, daughter of R.S. and Caroline (Allen) McCord, both natives of Kentucky. She was born in Parke Co. In 1852. He has by this marriage two children: Clara, born May 20, 1874, and Walter A, born August 14, 1878. Mr. and Mrs.. McCampbell are members of the United Presbyterian church at Bethany. His parents are old members of this church. He began life for himself in very moderate circumstances. By good management and industry he has accumulated property quite rapidly.. In politics he votes the straight republican ticket. He and his wife were educated in the common schools of Parke County. He was elected last spring to the office of Justice of the Peace in Howard Township. (1880 History of Parke County, Indiana J. H. Beadle, Chicago: H. H. Hill & N. Iddings, Publishers).
R. H. McCAMPBELL, a prominent citizen of Muscatine County and one of its pioneer settlers, residing on section 22, Bloomington Township was born in Shelby County, Kentucky in 1828 and is a son of John and Mary Tilford McCampbell who were natives of Virginia and born of Scotch-Irish parentage. They emigrated to Kentucky in an early day making the journey over the mountains on pack horses and in 1830 removed to Indiana settling in Parke County where they were among the pioneers. Both parents died many years ago, the mother departing this life at the advanced age of 87. They had a family of 9 children of whom our subject was the youngest; but only two others are now living, Mrs. Spangler, widow of Charles Spangler who was a resident of this county for 32 years, resides with her brother, and Mrs. Norris, wife of John Norris resides in Louisville, Kentucky where her husband is engaged in business. The subject of this sketch was reared to farm life and received a liberal education at the academy in Montgomery County, Indiana. After completing his education he engaged in teaching school in Indiana during the winter term alternating that employment with farm labor during summer months. In 1851, in Indiana he wedded Elvina Allen, a native of Kentucky and daughter of Benjamin and Margaret Youel Allen, who were born in Virginia but who emigrated to Indiana in 1830. Both parents died several years ago. By the union of Mr. and Mrs. McCampbell six children were born, four of whom are living: Charles is the husband of Ida Bartlett and resides in Muscatine where he is engaged in the furniture business; William wedded Jessie Kessinger and is a book keeper in Muscatine; Ella and John are both at home. James died at age 17 in 1864 and Maggie died at age 4. After his marriage Mr. McCampbell settled in Indiana where he resided until 1856 when he severed kindred ties and came directly to Muscatine County taking up his residence in Bloomington Township where he purchased 160 acres of unimproved land and immediately began its cultivation. He remained upon the farm until the second year of the Rebellion when he enlisted at Muscatine in August 1862 becoming a member of Company B, 35th Iowa Infantry. He enlisted for a term of 3 years but after serving two years on detached service, he was discharged on account of ill health in 1864. He participated in the battle of Vicksburg, Haines' Bluff, Milliken's Bend, siege of Vicksburg and then returned to Iowa. After his discharge Mr. McCampbell engage din teaching in the city schools of Muscatine until 1866 when he was elected County Superintendent of Schools on the Republican ticket. In 1868 a law was enacted creating the office of County Auditor to which office he was appointed by the board of supervisors entering upon his duties in January 1869. After serving one year he was elected to the office, and reelected each succeeding election for 7 times filling that position in all 15 years. Mr. McCampbell has always taken an active interest in political affairs and is a stalwart supporter of the Republican Party doing all in his power to advance its interests. During the campaign of 1840, when Gen. W. H. Harrison was candidate for president, he was a member of the Glee Club. Socially, he belongs to Muscatine Lodge No. 99, AOUW and religiously both he and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. In the month of April 1887 he removed to his present home in Bloomington Township, where he carries on general farming. For almost a 1/2 of a century he has been a resident of Muscatine County has aided largely in her growth and prosperity faithfully served her interests 18 years in official positions and is one of her prominent and influential citizens. - Portrait and biographical album of Muscatine County, Iowa. Chicago: Acme Publishing Company, 1889, Page 228
McCAMPBELL, S.A., farmer, Marshall, was born in Shelby County, Kentucky January 31, 1812. In about 1830 his parents removed to Clark County, IN where Mr. McCampbell attended school at the So. Hanover College and there received a good common school education; he subsequently taught the primary department in that college. In 1832, he came to Parke County, but not finding a location at that time he returned again in 1839 and bought a farm in what is now Howard Township. He soon after began teaching school, which he followed for 11 years in one school house. In this way he was able to save quite a sum of money, which he invested in land. At the present time he owns 490 acres of fine improved land, which is the fruits of his own labor. July 21, 1839, he was married to Martha J. ELLIOTT, a native of Shelby County Kentucky. They have raised a family of 9 children: James N; Melissa J, wife of W. ADAMS; William T; Eliza wife of L. MAGINNESS; Andrew H; Henry; Sophronia E, wife of A.V. STRONG; Margaret H, wife of Dr. J.M. BOYD, and Charles F. (Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill)
McCLAIN, Morgan farmer and stock raiser, Waveland, is the son of Jesse & Mary (RUSH) McClain and was born in Shelby County, Kentucky in 1825. His father and mother were natives of Virginia. They immigrated to Kentucky and then to Parke County, when their son Morgan was but 12 years of age. Jesse McClain was a farmer and pioneer minister in the Predestination Baptist church. The subject of this sketch was married in 1845 to Mary J. Johnson daughter of David and Sarah (COLLINGS) JOHNSON. She and her parents were natives of Kentucky. She immigrated with her parents to Parke County when small. Mr. and Mrs.. Morgan McClain have 9 children living: James D, married to Frances SUTTON; George W. The husband of Amanda CRUTCHFIELD; Mary A wife of Sanford SPENSER; David who was married to Sarah BLAKE; and Jacob, husband of Nancy Alexander; William, Francis M, John G and Alexander are still at home with their parents. Mr. McClain and wife have been members of the Predestination Baptist church for the past 30 years. They began life with a very limited amount of this world's goods. By years of toil and good management they have made themselves the happy possessors of a beautiful farm of 325 acres. They have 13 grandchildren. He has been a democrat from his youth up. (Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill).
Morgan McCLAIN resides on Section 15, Greene Township, Parke County and is a native of Shelby County Kentucky where he was born July 23, 1825. He is a son of Jesse McClain, who was born in Bedford County, Virginia about 1798. Jesse was the son of John McClain who went to Kentucky and settled in Shelby County when a lad. The McClains were early settlers of Shelby County Kentucky where they engaged in agricultural pursuits. The father of our subject married Miss Mary Rush who was born in Pennsylvania March 24, 1806 and died February 25, 1886. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. McClain located in Shelby County and lived there until they emigrated to Indiana in the fall of 1830. At this period they settled in Greene Township, Parke County. Jesse McClain bought 80 acres and entered another 80 from the Government. There was not a tree touched on the place where he located and he at once commenced clearing a spot where he could erect a cabin. Here in the vast wilderness, by the little stream known as Trout Branch, which glided merrily through the woods, Mr. and Mrs. McClain settled down to quiet pioneer life and there lived the remainder of their days. To this happy couple were born 10 children, 9 of whom reached majority and 5 are still living: Lucinda, widow of L. D. McGilverey; Matilda, wife of Isaac Collings of this township; Morgan, our subject; Elizabeth wife of H. O. Putnam (note from typist, Karen Zach -- this should be Harmon O. Pulliam married 12-17-1846 Parke County) of this township and Joseph a resident of Fountain County. Jesse McClain owned 240 acres of good land before his death, the most of which he cleared with the aid of his children. He died July 31, 1874 on the old homestead and his wife died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Isaac Collings, several years after. They are buried in Mt. Moriah Cemetery in this township. The former was a member of the Mt. Moriah Baptist Church of which he was pastor for over 40 years. Out of 282 meetings in which he acted as moderator, he missed but 9 times. His creed was the Predestinarian Baptist in which he was a faithful worker and did much good. He was a very devout man and took great pleasure in religious matters and his home was always open to the old pioneer ministers of those days. Politically, Mr. McClain was a Democrat. The gentleman of whom we write was about 5 years old when he came to Indiana from Kentucky with his parents. He received his education in the old subscription schools of those days, the schoolhouse being an old log cabin with puncheon floor, large fireplace and greased paper for windows. They had hard times and many discouragements to meet but our subject learned to read and write, which was about all that any of the children of those times learned. The major part of his education was gathered from his own experience. He lived with his father till a year after his marriage and helped clear the place. In February 1845, Mr. McClain was united in marriage with Miss Mary Jane, a daughter of David Johnson. She was born in Kentucky and came with her parents to Indiana when a small girl. When he ceased living with his father, our subject bought 80 acres of land adjoining that of his father's estate, where he lived until 1859 when he sold out. He then moved to the place where he now resides and bought 160 acres of partly improved land, which he by hard labor brought under a good state of cultivation. He kept on adding to this possession until he owned 350 acres of fertile land, all in one vast tract. Our subject has been the father of 14 children: those living are James D, who is a farmer in Putnam County; George W, a farmer of Montgomery County; David who is extensively engaged in agriculture in Howard Township, this county; Mary Ann, who is the wife of Sanford Spencer, a farmer in Montgomery County; Jacob an agriculturist of Greene Township; Francis Marion, who is married and resides on the farm with our subject; John G, who is a farmer in this Township and Alexander, also a resident of Greene Township Our subject has divided a great deal of his land among his children, giving them all a good start in life. He now has in his possession 180 acres of arable land, well improved which is under the superintendence of his son, who carries on general farming and stock raising. Mr. McClain has been a hard worker all his life, for his parents were needy and could afford him but a meager beginning. Politically, he is a Democrat and has voted that ticket ever since age 21. He is a member of the Predestinarian Baptist Church and has been for half a century, also acting as Deacon and Moderator of the church for many years. Mr. McClaine's company in life died Oct 7, 1889. She was a consistent member of the same church as her husband, using her influence in that direction for 47 years, leading a devoted Christian life, and many warm friends mourn her demise. Our subject was a strong Union man during the late war and did all he could to aid the cause of the North. He often relates how they pulled through the long winter months and endured the hardships which beset them in their pioneer life in Indiana. He well remembers the happy moment she spent rambling in the woods and seeing large numbers of deer at any time. - Portrait & Biographical Records of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 124
McCORD , James A., farmer, Rockville, was born in Parke Co IN September14, 1834. His father, David McCord, was a native of Madison County, Kentucky and came to Parke Co. with his parents in 1828. His mother was Celia H. ELDER, also of Madison County Kentucky who came to Parke CO with her parents in 1825. They lived in Wash Township until the death of her father, who died in 1836. His mother married again and moved to Montgomery Co where she died in 1841. Mr. McCord was joined in marriage in 1859 to Amanda J. BURFORD, daughter of WD Burford of Parke Co. her parents were natives of Kentucky and came to Parke Co in 1827. Mr. McCord has been a resident of Parke Co. all his life, and his occupation has been that of a farmer. he now owns a fine improved farm consisting of 160 acres on which he has made all the improvements. He and his wife have long since been members of the Old School Baptist Church. (Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill) (Note: James and Amanda Burford McCord are bur. in the Elder Cemetery, Washington Township. just E. of Co. Road #223 and is a poorly cared for cemetery)
James McCORD was born April 5, 1785 in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina and died in Parke Co Indiana December 28, 1873. His father, David McCord was a native of Scotland and came to North Carolina. He died in Madison County, Kentucky in 1816 at the age of 72. David McCord married Ann SHIPLEY in North Carolina and they had 9 children: William; Sarah who married James CAMPBELL; Robert; John; David; Ann who was the 2nd wife of Alexander ELDER; James; Rosa who was the first wife of Alexander Elder and Mary who never married. David McCord was a soldier in the Revolutionary War and on the morning his son David was born he was in a skirmish, within hearing distance of his home. The British were crossing the Catawba River at the time of the fight. David sold produce and stock from his farm to the militia. He owned 4 acres and in the spring of 1790, when his son James was 5, he sold his farm and moved to Madison County, Kentucky. His son William was married May 20, 1790 and the trip to Kentucky was his honeymoon. They all rode horseback, carried their goods on pack horses and drove the stock. David's wife, Ann Shipley McCord, rode a horse and carried her little daughter Rosa in her lap and James, who was 5, rode behind her. Just after they passed the Cumberland Gap, they were attacked by six Indians, who put the company to fight and captured a little girl, Naomi MITCHELL who was 12 and a cousin of James McCord. One of the Indians was shot through the leg. Naomi's father shot the Indian as he was tomahawking her mother. The Indians made Naomi take care of the hurt Indian and told her if he died, they would kill her. He was so mean to her she almost wished he would die. The Indians sold her to the French and at the battle of Ft. Wayne, two years later, her brother found her and brought her home. She said that after the Indians captured the plunder at the fight, they had a fine time playing with the feathers everywhere. All the company after being scattered by the Indians, made their way to Madison County where David had bought 1,000 acres of land, near Boone's Fort. He settled there with his children around him and did much toward the development of that country. His son, William was shot through the right arm, causing him to loose his gun, during the fight with the Indians. Rather bad for a young man on his honeymoon trip. The land bought at that time is largely in the hands of his descendants at the present time. In 1825 some of David McCord's children came to Indiana, at that time a new country. The McCord family were truly a pioneer family. John and David McCord stopped in Vincennes and have left numerous descendants in Knox County. Robert, James and Ann McCord Elder came to Parke County. James McCord, the Parke County pioneer, was married to Margaret SUMMERS May 10, 1809. She was born November 22, 1790 and died October 20, 1873. They had 10 children, 7 born in Kentucky and 3 in Parke County. The children were: Robert Summers; David; John Newton; Andrew; Ellen who married William ALLEN; Martha who never married; Nancy Jane who married Jackson MANN and Armanda, who married twice, first to William NORRIS, second to William WOODY. James McCord came to Indiana with his brother-in-law, Alexander Elder and they bought land from the government. On account of his mother, who lived with him, being old and not able to make the trip, James did not come to Indiana to live till after her death in 1828, when William, the father of the writer was two years old. When the family made the trip to Parke County, they loaded their goods on a six-horse covered wagon with a cart for the women and children to ride in. They crossed the Ohio on a ferry and followed the trail to Vincennes and from there to Parke County. On the land they bought they built a large log cabin of round logs, covered with clap boards, weighted down with weight poles. These poles were used to hold the boards in place as nails were very scarce and had to be made by hand. They later built a double log house, made of hewed logs, a story and a half high and covered with shingles, split and shaved by hand; they were of uniform width of 5 or 6" and 18" long. The building is still standing and is used as a shot and storeroom. The farm that James McCord bought is still in the McCord family and the only changes in title have been from father to son. James McCord has two daughters living, Mrs. Nancy J. Mann born October 23, 1831 and Mrs. Amanda Woody, born August 11, 1835. They are the only grandchildren living of the old Revolutionary soldier, David McCord that we have been able to find. James and Margaret Summers McCord have 164 living descendants out of 236 that were born. - 1816-1916 Parke County Centennial Memorial Atlas, Page 101
James A. McCord. Among those who are pleasantly located in Washington Township is he whose name introduces this sketch. He is a native of this county, and was born September 14, 1834, his birth place being within a distance of one and one-half miles of his present home. He is a son of David and Celia Elder McCord. The former parent was a son of James and Margaret Summers McCord. He was one of a family of 10 children, 5 sons and 5 daughters and at the age of 20 years was married to a daughter of Alexander and Ann Elder. He began in life for himself by accepting form his father 80 acres of undeveloped land. Here he began clearing it of timber, but being unused to the hardships of pioneer life, he fell a victim to disease and died at the youthful age of 23 years, leaving a widow with two children: Margaret, who married WR Canine, Waveland; and James S. After the decease of our subject's father the mother married William Canine, an uncle of her daughter's husband. She lived but a short time, her death occurring December 8, 1841. Our subject's father and mother were members of the Baptist Church, in which capacity they served faithfully. In politics the father was a Whig. The grandfather of James McCord was a native of NC, his birth occurring in 1785. When but 6 he moved to Madison Co, Kentucky with his parents, where he grew to manhood and married a wife two years his junior. He was strictly a farmer by occupation and took an active part in politics, using his influence for the Whig party. He died December 1873, his good wife having preceded him to the better land but two months before. In 1828 he emigrated to Parke County, locating on 160 acres of Government land. He came with very limited means, but by close application to his work he finally accumulated good farms for each of his children. James A. McCord and his sister were reared by their Grandfather McCord. At the age of 20 James began working by the month for James Elder, which he continued to do for 5 years. On attaining the age of 25 he wedded Amanda J, daughter of William D. and Mary Noel Burford. He laid the foundation of his education in the common schools of the district and added to his general fund of information by one year's course at the Bloomingdale Academy. After marriage, Mr. McCord moved on his present farm of which he had bought 80 acres some time before. But by devoting his attention to the cultivation of this tract he has increased his possessions to 160 acres and has placed himself among the most prosperous men of his calling in the county. Mr. McCord is one of the most useful members of the Baptist Church as is also his companion. He has been a liberal contributor toward its support. In politics he is identified with no particular party, preferring to cast his vote for the man best fitted for the office, regardless of party lines. His attention is mainly devoted to the cultivation of his well-kept farm, and his perseverance, good management and honesty have won for him the reputation of being one of the Washington Township's best agriculturists. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana, Page 390
William McCord, a farmer of wide experience and business qualifications of high order, who has been an important agent in developing the rich agricultural resources of Parke County, is the owner of a large and finely equipped farm of 340 acres in Washington Township. Mr. McCord was born in Madison County within one and a half miles of Boonsboro Kentucky June 2, 1826. His father, James McCord was born in North Carolina April 5, 1785, and when his parents migrated to Madison County, he was carried by his mother on horseback to their new home where he was reared to manhood. His wife bore the name of Margaret Summers. The grandfather of our subject, David McCord, married a lady by the name of Ann Shipley, who reared the following children: Robert; John; David; James; William; Sarah; Campbell; Rosa; Ann and Mary. David McCord was born in Scotland and came when a young man to Pennsylvania where he lived a number of years, then went to North Carolina. He located in Mechlenburg, where the first copy of the Declaration of Independence was written and during the War of Revolution he showed his valor and patriotism. In his religious belief he was a Presbyterian. During his journey to Madison County, in 1790, he and his family were exposed to a number of attacks by the Indians, who stole their pack horses and took a cousin of our subject's father prisoner, keeping her for two years. At the end of this time she was captured at Fort Wayne, where she had been traded to the French and was given her liberty. After going to Kentucky, Mr. McCord settled on a farm where he remained until his death. The father of our subject was married in 1808 after which he remained on the homestead for 20 years. His education was very limited, his only textbook for reading being a Bible which he perused thoroughly. In October, 1828, he migrated to Parke County, Indiana where he entered 520 acres of Government land, for which he paid his last cent and so was compelled to earn a livelihood for his family out of the new and undeveloped land on which he had settled. 10 children came to make their home happy, whom they named: Robert S; David; Newton; Andrew; William; Ellen; Lucinda; Martha; Nancy and Amanda. Of this large family but four survive: William; Lucinda, wife of James Russell; Nancy, who married Jackson Munn and Amanda the wife of William Norris. Politically Mr. McCord, Sr. was a supporter of the Whig platform in which he always exerted his influence. His wife died in 1873 in the month of October and he passed away in December the same year. William McCord received his education in the district schools of Parke County, but at the age of 16 he was obliged to help his father with the farm work. When only 22 he was united in marriage to Rachel, daughter of Samuel and Nancy McClung Cummings. The former parent was of Scotch parentage and was born in PA and the latter was a native of VA, as was also her daughter Rachel. To Mr. and Mrs. McCord 9 children have been born: Henry who died when a lad; Nancy deceased wife of John McCampbell; John; Monroe; Oscar; Bell, now the wife of John McCampbell; Edgar; Charles and Alice B, deceased. The wife and mother died September 17, 1873. Since that time Mr. McCord married Miss Susan Russell, daughter of Samuel and Mary Cummings Russell. In politics our subject is loyal to the Republican Party and generously aids all the movements for the advancement of political affairs. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church of this place. Mr. McCord has wrought a wonderful transformation in his farm, whereby it has become one of the best ordered farms in the county, the soil being good for cultivation and valuable improvement son every hand adding to its worth and attractiveness. Since the time the first cabin was erected on the place, the house has never once been deserted for a single night. Mr. McCord is endowed with strength of mind and ability, and his sensible, practical views give him weight and influence in the community. By not stopping to ask if life is worth living, but by always doing the duty nearest at hand, he has acquired great wealth and gained the universal respect of all. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana, (Chapman: 1893) Page 397
McCOY, Jesse H., farmer and school teacher, Sylvania, son of John (one of the oldest settlers in this part of the country) and Elizabeth (TOWELL) McCoy, was born September1, 1850. His early education was obtained at the district school and during his youth he followed agricultural pursuits, and latterly has been engaged almost entirely in school teaching. December25, 1873, he was married to Miss Loretta C. JESTER of Ohio and they had two children: Edna and Frank C. He is a member of the Friends meeting, also of the Sylvania Lodge, AF & AM and is a popular member of the republican party, being a candidate for the office of recorder, with every prospect of success. Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill
McCUNE, Alexander of Rockville, was born in Cumberland Co PA, January 16, 1806. His ancestors were Scotch-Irish Presbyterians, who settled in pa. In colonial times. His mother's maiden name was Prudence LAUGHLIN. His father, Robert died when he was young. Early in 1821 Mrs. Mccune started for the Far W. With her family of six children. The oldest was at this time about 20 years of age. They came across the mountains to Pittsburgh, where they bought a boat, in which the family were transported to Madison; from thence they were conveyed in a hired wagon to Terre Haute, arriving there at the beginning of July. Relations named THOMPSON had preceded them in the spring and settled near Eugene. By these friends they were removed to a place once known as Walkertown, but now called Numa, in the SE corner of Parke Co. At this time, the country where they settled was an unbroken wilderness. Settlers began to gather around them, and it was not long until young Alexander was able to find work as a laborer. For many years it was the custom to flatboat most of the produce to New Orleans. The building of the boats gave much employment and at this our subject was a considerable time engaged. His lessons, taken at a tender age in a hardy school, produced in him habits of thrift and industry which have covered his whole life with domestic worth and usefulness. As a boatman he made 35 trips to Crescent City, returning in various ways, requiring great endurance. Mr. Mccune and Samuel LOWRY associating themselves together in 1832, built a small carding mill at Mecca. Subsequently they erected others, improving and enlarging each as their increasing capital would allow, until in the last they realized a first-class woolen cloth factory. Afterward they built a large flouring establishment, known everywhere as the Mecca Mill. Mr. Mccune is one of the oldest temperance men in Parke County, having taken as early as 1835 a firm stand against the unholy traffic in intoxicating liquors and the ruinous use of them. His marriage with Rosilla CHANEY occurred August 28, 1829. She was born September 1, 1808. They have had 6 children, two of whom a son a daughter are dead. The survivors, Henry C., George W., William W., and Samuel all reside in this county. The latter is cashier at the National Bank of Rockville. During the war Henry was sutler of the 71st Indiana Volunteers; William was a captain in the same regiment; George was surgeon of the 14th and Benjamin, deceased was also in the military service. Mr. Mccune has led a busy life, having been largely engaged in boat building, milling, in buying and selling produce and stock, and in farming. For a long time he did an extensive business in packing and shipping pork to New Orleans. He has always displayed great energy and sagacity in business, and been conspicuously successful throughout. He has been a useful citizen in a broad sense, and of far more service to the people than the present generation are aware of. Mr. Mccune lived at Mecca from 1832 to 1860, when he removed to Lima, Livingston County, NY and resided there until 1878, returning then to Parke Co. And settling in Rockville. Mr. and Mrs.. McCUNE are Presbyterians in faith, and in politics the former is republican. He is one of the largest stockholders in the National Bank of Rockville, has been a director since its organization until recently, and was for some years president. From a poor boy he has grown to be one of the wealthiest citizens of Parke County, and is widely and most favorably known. The motives of such men can always be studied and their methods imitated with profit.
McCUNE, Henry C, farmer, Armiesburg, one of Wabash Township's most genial and whole-souled men, is a son of Mr. and Mrs.. Alexander McCune, early and well known pioneers of this township and was born June 20, 1830. he attended the first pioneer school in this township, with its slab desks and benches but finished his education by attending Asbury University one collegiate year at Greencastle IN. At about the age of 18 he entered the store of R. K. Harris & Co. as clerk at Armiesburg and continued with them 8 years. November30, 1854, he married Miss Mary A, daughter of Thomas and Cyntha A (LAVERTY) MELVIN; she was born in Wabash Township. January 26, 1833. Her father died at New Orleans February 22, 1833 and her mother march 17, 1870. Mr. McCune has 6 children: Horace M; Charles R; Alexander; William W; Minnie and Samuel. He is now living at his present home, one mi. so. of Armiesburg, and in addition to which he has another of 160 acres a few miles north of his home. In politics he is a solid republican.
McCUNE, Wallace, W., Captain, grain buyer and stock dealer, Rockville, third son of Alexander McCune, was born at Mecca Mills, in Parke County, March 17, 1839. Mr. McCune received a good English education, beginning with the common schools, and taking a preparatory course at the academy at Waveland, and ending his studies with two years in Wabash College. He assisted in recruiting Co G 71st Indiana Volunteers, a regiment of 9 months' men, and was commissioned Captain. The regiment was organized August 18, 1862 and proceeded at once to the seat of war in Kentucky, when it was captured by the rebel forces under Gen. Kirby SMITH at Richmond on the 30th. Gen. NELSON commanded the Union troops. In this unequal and stubborn engagement, which lasted a whole day, Capt. McCune's company sustained the heavy loss of 6 killed and 15 wounded. The men were paroled and sent back to Terre Haute. On December2, 1862 he resigned his commission and returned home. Capt. McCune was married June 18, 1863 to Miss Sophronia I. STEELE, daughter Gen. George K. Steele. She was born February 5, 1844 and died July 7, 1880. Following are their children: Mary Rosilla; Sallie E; Katie; Ross; George; Charlie and Isabel. Capt. McCune belongs to the Republican Party and to the following orders: the Masons, the Working Men, and the Grand Army of the Republic. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, Rockville. His wife was also a communicant in the same church.
McCUTCHAN, James A., resides on Section23, Greene Township, Parke County, and is a son of William McCutchan, a native of Augusta Co, Virginia where he was reared to manhood and married. He was the son of William McCutchan who served in one of the early wars of this country, probably the Revolution. William, the father of our subject, was married in Rockbridge County, Virginia to Miss Margaret COOPER, a native of Rockbridge County. After they were married they stayed there about one year and in the fall of 1828 they migrated to this state, coming by wagon and an ox team and settled where William McCutchan now lives in Washington Township, this county. The last named gentleman's father had previously came and entered land from the Government, which was in a perfectly wild and unsettled condition. There he lived until his death. The father of our subject had 9 children, of whom all grew to manhood and womanhood. Six of them still survive: Susan Jane, who was born in Virginia and live son the old home place in Washington Township, this county; Mary C, who lives on the old homestead with her sister, Susan; James A (of this sketch); Andrew L, who lives near Bridgeton, Parke County; Meredith M, a resident of Labette county, Kansas where he is a successful farmer; William W, of Washington Township. The father of our subject and his wife were both active members of the Associate Presbyterian Church and he was a supporter of the Republican Party until the time of his death. James a. McCutchan was born December18, 1831 on the old home place in this county, where he was reared and educated. He resided with his father till his marriage. When 21 he began learning the carpenter's trade, which occupation he followed for about 20 years. After his marriage, which took place February 28, 1868, to Miss Minerva, daughter of John Porter of this county, they located near Bloomingdale, where Mr. McCutchan worked at his trade. Mrs. McCutchan was born in Putnam county, Indiana in 1837, where she was reared and educated in the common schools. Her father migrated to this county from NC where he lived for some time, then moved to Putnam County, where he still lives at the advanced age of 82. After farming for a time near Bloomingdale, Mr. Mc moved to the Porter place, where they rented and farmed in the meantime working at his trade until 1877. Three years prior to that time he went to Kansas, where he worked some at his occupation, but on account of this being the grasshopper year and business consequently dull, he came back to his old home. in 1877 he bought the place where he now resides on which he built a large and substantial frame house in 1890. He has a very attractive home, which is located on one of the finest farms in Greene Township and is being beautifully improved. Our subject is the father of 7 children: Elmer M, who is attending the Commercial College at Terre Haute; and has since been teaching in the schools of the county; William P, who is a farmer in this township and is married to Zella HAZLETT; Margaret A, who has been attending the Academy at Bloomingdale; John Henry; James Fulton; Sarah Florence and Mary Nellie. All of this family of children are still under the parental roof with the exception of the married one. Mr. McCutchan owns 120 acres of good land, all of which is well improved and is a fine state of cultivation. He is a general farmer and stock raiser, keeping on his farm some excellent breeds of cattle and a good variety of their stock. Politically he is a Republican. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, serving as Elder for a number of years. His wife is also a member of this denomination, in which she is an active worker. In 1892, our subject entered Co. G, 78th Indiana Infantry, in which he was a corporal. He was captured at Uniontown, Kentucky paroled and later returned home. Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana, Page 432
McCUTCHAN , William W.. The farming interests of Washington Township are carried on by an active and intelligent class of men who are thus performing their share in maintaining and extending the agricultural interests of this county. Among them is the gentleman whose name is at the head of this sketch and who is a member of one of the old pioneer families of this section. A native of this county, Mr. McCutchan was born on what is now his present farm, January 30, 1841. He is a son of William and Margaret COOPER McCutchan. The formers father was also a son of William and Jene FINLEY McCutchan. The paternal grandfather of our subject was born in Virginia of Scotch-Irish parentage, they having come to America in colonial times. He followed the occupation of a farmer and chose for his companion in life a daughter of Robert Finley of Virginia. They became the parents of 10 children all of whom reached manhood and womanhood and afterward became the heads of families. The grandfather was a brave soldier under Washington's command in the Revolution and drove his general's headquarters wagon for 3 years, during which time he was never home. Socially he was both a member and Elder of the Associate Presbyterian Church as was also his father. The father of our subject, William, was born in Augusta County, Virginia September2, 1802 where he grew to manhood, obtaining an education in the common schools. He married the daughter of William and Amy HARRIS Cooper on the 5th of April 1827. To them were born 10 children, 3 of whom died in youth. Those who are living are: Susan J; Mary C; James A; Orlander L; Meredith M; Margaret M; William W. Our subject's father came to Indiana in 1828, locating on the farm deeded to him by his father, where his son William, our subject now lives. This farm consisted of 160 acres of well improved, productive land. The father was politically a Democrat until the advent of the Republican party, when he was one of the first to cast his ballot for its candidates. The mother of our subject was a native of Rockbridge county, Virginia and was born January 13, 1799. Her parents were also natives of Virginia and came of Irish ancestry. She passed away April 19, 1874. James A, a brother of the original of this notice, entered the late war but was soon taken prison in Kentucky. and was paroled and finally honorably discharged. Another brother, Meredith, entered the service in 1861, where he remained for 3 years and at the expiration of his term was honorably discharged and reenlisted as a veteran, serving until the close of the conflict. He was fortunately never wounded, although he participated in some of the hardest fought battles of the war. William W. McCutchan was also active in preserving the honor of his country and in May 1865 enrolled his name with the comrades of Co. E, 137th Indiana Infantry. But the struggle between the north and south coming to a close, and peace being declared, Mr. McCutchan's services were no longer needed and he was discharged six months from the time of his enlistment. Mr. Mc is a public-spirited, wide-awake and progressive citizen and is favorably known in his native county. He was elected in 1887 to the responsible position of Justice of the Peace and is now serving his second term. He has held the office for the past 6 years, and he discharges its duties with credit to himself and his constituents. Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, IN (Chapman Brothers, 1893) Page 402
McEWEN, James, deceased was born in Lancaster, PA March 20, 1802 and in 1804 his parents removed to Franklin, Warren County, Ohio , where he was reared. His father, James belonged to the militia forced which was dispatched by Pres. Washington under command of Gov. Lee of Maryland, to the scene of the whisky insurrection in western Pa in 1794. This body of troops amounting to 1500 was reviewed by Washington at Carlisle, Pa. Mr. McEwen was also a vet. Of the war of 1812. In 1826 the McEwen’s settled in Rockville, but the father (now the subject of mention) did not come for many years, though at last he lived and died here, and was interred in the cemetery. At this place. James, the son, and subject of our sketch, being a tanner by trade, established, in conjunction with his brother Robert, who still survives, the first tannery in Rockville. This was run successfully about 25 years and finally sold. In June, 1829 he was married to Miss Frances W. SWEARINGEN of Crawfordsville, the Rev. James Thompson being the officiating clergyman. The family of 10 children, of whom only 5 are living, comprised the following: John B, deceased; Nancy Ellen, deceased; Margaret Jane; Charles S; James R; Mary Frances; Harriet B; William deceased; Arthur Wallace, deceased; and Alexander M, deceased. His health having become greatly impaired, in 1852, Mr. McEwen went overland to California. His company was six months making the journey, and he walked the whole distance excepting 50 miles. He remained 5 years and returned perfectly restored, arriving home Christmas Eve, 1857. Early the next year he removed temporarily to Davenport, Iowa and continued his residence there till the fall of 1862, returning at that time to Rockville. He died at Indianapolis, August 23, 1864. Mr. McEwen was a strict Presbyterian, whose life was a continued exhibition of the noblest Christian qualities, and a savor of the sweetest influences. His piety led the way in all his intercourse with the world, and was cropping out constantly in beautiful practices which told of the sanctified spirit and perfect man. In his lifetime he did a good work. Besides his own he reared 7 boys, children of other parents and saved them from hard lives, and perhaps harder fates, to become useful members of society. Three of these became ministers in the Methodist church. At that time when denominational lines were kept so very distinct, this was remarked as a curious circumstance that so exact a Presbyterian should give such "aid and comfort" to any other sect than his own and in course of time his tan yard came to be known as the "Methodist University." His aspirations were not in the direction of political preferment, and never but once did he seek the emoluments of public office; this was in 1841 when he was a candidate for county auditor. He was not successful, being opposed by Judge Potts who was supported by a combination of Whigs and democrats.
McEWEN, Robert B., retired, Rockville, was born in Dauphin County, PA in the year 1800. He was the second child of James and Frances (BOLE) McEwen. When he was 4 or 5 years old his parents immigrated to Franklin, Warren County, Ohio . Here he spent his youth in the customary manner of the young in those days, obtaining such an education as the log cabin schools afforded, and learning the tanner's trade as a further means toward making a living and a fortune. In March, 1826, he came to Rockville, and in company with his brother, James McEwen, started a tan yard -- the first in the place, though not the first in the settlement. He carried on the business of tanning with great success for about 25 years, when he sold his establishment, his brother having previously retired from the firm. He was married in Preble County, Ohio in 1826 to Miss Susan HORN. Only 3 are now living of a family of 7 reared by them. In 1837 Mr. McEwen and his wife united with the Presbyterian Church of Rockville. He had been an elder in t he church 37 years having been ordained December5, 1843. By industry and careful management Mr. McEwen accumulated a respectable property and he has always so contributed to the support of those objects which appeal to men's benevolence and public spirit as to indicate that he regards himself as one who holds in trust for wise and beneficent uses rather than as one who will have to render no account of his stewardship. Mr. McEwen was an original Whig, and voted first for gallant Harry Clay. He is now a staunch republican. He remembers seeing Gen. Harrison with his army as he passed through Franklin, Ohio on his expedition to Tippecanoe. In his long and well-spent life of 80 years he has witnessed striking changes and marvelous improvements. May this veteran pioneer beyond the return of many years of health and rejoicing.
McFARLAND, James M., teacher, Lena, is a native of Whitely County, Kentucky having been born there March 3, 1849. His father, Presley F. McFarland was born in Kentucky, April 18, 1827 and his mother, Nancy Winkler was born in Virginia April 9, 1827. The McFarlands came to Kentucky. from NC, but farther back from Scotland, while the Winklers hailed from Germany some generations ago. When the civil war broke out Presley F. McFarland was one of Kentucky's loyal citizens and soon become a soldier in the union army, but death overtook him at the Corinth hospital, June 27, 1862 and he was buried in a soldier's grave in Corinth cemetery. These sad tidings reached his family when they were on their journey to Indiana, but nothing daunted they pushed on, coming to Jackson Township, Parke County, where they settled on a little farm. Here Mrs. McFarland, assisted by her two sons, James and John, earned a livelihood. In 1864 she was married to William Harper, and still lives in Jackson township. James M. continued to work on the farm, culling his education on rainy days until toward manhood, when he attended the Wabash College. In 1875 he began teaching, which has been his occupation since. In his second examination he was granted a first grade certificate and has continued in this grade and taken an active part in the institute work. He was married November 6, 1879 to Ruth I, daughter of E. BORN & Mollie (NUGENT) WHITE, of this township. She was born May 13, 1860. Her parents are noticed elsewhere. Mr. McFarland is a republican and a member of the Masonic lodge at Lena. Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill
McFARLAND, John A., teacher, Lena, was born March 25, 1852 in Whitely County, Kentucky and is the son of Presley and Nancy (WINKLER) McFarland, noticed in the sketch of James M. McFarland. At the age of 13 John Left home to rise in the world by his own efforts. He spent some time in Guthrie County, Iowa. At the age of 18 years, he attended Wabash College and since has attended Danville (Indiana Central) Normal School. At the age of 23 he began teaching, which is still his occupation. He has received first grade wages for two years and now holds a first grade certificate. He has traveled in Kentucky, Ill, Iowa, Kansas, Ohio , Missouri and Indian Territory. He and his brother James are among the best read young men of the township. He is solidly republican and also a member of the Masonic lodge of Lena, in which he holds the office of senior deacon. Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill
McGAUGHEY, Ned -- Among all the shining galaxy it will be admitted that none can contest the first place with HOWARD, but McGaughey stands net in the noble line. He was diminutive in size and wanting in the weight and commanding nobility of Howard, but possessed unequaled shrewdness was fully as talented and even more brilliant. Could the animated political contests of 40years ago be reproduced with the intellectual gladiators in the stormy arena, the surpassing genius and thrilling eloquence of Ned McGaughey would be seen swaying the passions and excitements of the hour, controlling the surging tide of debate and challenging the delighted admiration and solid respect of every class. He came to Rockville before 1840, a stripling looking young man, was elected prosecuting attorney and as such officer was one of the counsel in the BEECHAM trial. Opposed to him were Howard and Wright, the former greatly distinguished for his oratorical ability and the latter enjoying a reputation at the bar and in the council for his searching powers of investigation. His celebrated plea, which is now, after an interval of 40 years, pronounced by all who heard it a wonderful effort, at once brought him into prominence. In politics he was an ardent Whig and had contests with Wright for a seat in congress and both lost and won. His reputation steadily increased; but in 1852 he went to California and died shortly after his arrival.
Alexander McHARGUE is one of the old settlers and prominent farmers of Union Township, Parke County. He was born on Horse Creek, Lawrence County, Kentucky August 2, 1829 son of James McHargue, a native of Carter Co, Tennessee his birth having occurred January 11, 1805. When only an infant of two he was taken by his parents to Kentucky, in which state he was reared to manhood. Our subject's paternal grandfather who was born in SC bore the Christian name of Alexander and was in turn the son of one Alexander, a native of Ireland, of Scotch-Irish descent and soldier in the Revolutionary War. Our subject's mother, whose maiden name was Phoebe ARNOLD was born in Carter County, Tennessee in 1808, being a daughter of Julius Arnold, whose birth occurred in Tenn. The marriage of James and Phoebe McHargue was celebrated in Whiteley County, Kentucky and soon after they removed to Laurel County of the same state, where they resided upon a farm until the year 1830, when they emigrated to Greene County, Indiana. Thence they went to Coles County, Illinois but later returned to Greene County, Indiana and finally back to Laurel County, Kentucky where the mother died at the age of 33. Our subject's father then returned to Parke County, Indiana, locating in Jackson Township, where he made his home until called from this life at the age of 85. By his first union, he had a family of 7, two daughters and five sons and after the death of our subject's mother he married again. Alexander McHargue, whose name heads this sketch, is the 2nd child and eldest son in his father's family. He was in his 18th year when he came to Parke Co having received his education prior to this in his native state. Landing in this county in 1847, he raised a crop by the next year, and in 1849 commenced to learn the carpenter's trade with N. SMOCK. He worked for six years at the business, building houses and barns in different parts of the county. Our subject located on his present farm, where he now resided in 1856. At that time few improvements had been made and there was only a small log cabin on the place. The farm comprises 172 and 1/2 acres on Sections 34 and 35, most of which are under good cultivation. Mr. McHargue engages in general farming and stock raising and his career as an agriculturist has been marked with success. In August, 1862, the gentleman of whom we write enlisted in the defense of the union, becoming a member of Company C, 6th Indiana Cavalry. He was in service for 9 months, participating in a number of hard fought battles. He was finally discharged on account of disability. Formerly he was a Whig but is now a staunch Republican. He is a thoroughly honorable and worthy man, one who has the entire respect and good will of his neighbors. On January 18, 1855 was celebrated the marriage of our subject and Miss Sarah Ann MARTIN whose birth occurred Union Township January 22, 1833. Her father, William B. Martin, a native of South Carolina emigrated to this county in 1821. His father, whose given name was John had entered land the previous year in Union Township, The latter, who was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, was present at the surrender of Cornwallis. The mother of Mrs. McHargue, whose maiden name was Harriet KALLEY was born in New York State and came with her father, Daniel Kalley to this county about the year 1822. The marriage of our worthy subject and wife has been blessed with a family of two children. James B. married Sally B. Shouchs and makes his home with our subject. The other son, John C. F., married Margaret Martin and is a resident of Jackson Township. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 239
McHARGUE, Andrew , farmer, Mansfield, was born April 14, 1835, in Laurel County, Kentucky. and is the son of James and Phebe McHargue. In 1851, they settled in Jackson Township, and have lived on the same place ever since. Andrew enlisted in August 1862 in Co. C 71st Regiment 6th Calvary for 3 years. He fought in the battles of Richmond, Thorn Hill and in the Atlanta campaign. After the war, he has worked at the carpenter trade and farmed ever since. He had 4 brothers in the war for the Union. Mr. McHargue learned to read during the war and has read a great deal in papers and books. He is a republican and an enterprising, honorable citizen. Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill
Martin L. McKEE farmer Section 14, post office Hopkins, Missouri is a native of Wayne County, Indiana born June 21, 1833. When six his father died, leaving him in a mother's care. He was reared on a farm and enjoyed the advantages of attending the public schools. In 1850 he moved to Parke County remained six years then came to Iowa locating in this county where he now resides. Was married May 26, 1853 to Miss Martha Logan of Parke County, Indiana. Mrs. McKee is a lady of refinement and culture and is to Mr. McKee a faithful and devoted companion. They have an excellent farm of 340 acres with an elegant residence and everything systematically arranged. In short, a model home. Mr. McKee is a man of great executive ability and is honored and respected by his acquaintances. - History of Taylor County, Iowa. Des Moines: State Historical Company, 1881 Page 799
McKEY, R. H. W., physician, Russell's Mills, one of the leading citizens and most popular men in this part of the county, was born in Tennessee on July 4, 1829. His parents, Elias and Mary (Harrison) McKey, moved to Crawfordsville, Montgomery County when he was six months old and remained there until he reached the age of 10 years, when they came to Parke County, and located in Annapolis in 1839, his father the first physician in that town, and among the earliest in the county, there only being four other medical men in Parke County at the date of his settlement. Mr. McKey received his early education at the district school and later at the Western Manual Labor School at Bloomingdale, now known as the Bloomingdale Academy, then practiced medicine with his father for some time until his health failed, when he studied and practiced dentistry. Leaving that profession, he clerked in a store for some four or five years, when, through so many of the medical men having gone to the army, he was pressed again into the practice of medicine, much against his will. In 1867, he removed to Sugar Creek Township and located close to Russell's Mills, where he is now a resident, engaged in a large and lucrative practice. In 1880, he was elected, on the republican ticket, township trustee, by a large majority. Dr. McKey was married in 1875 to Miss Sally Towell, daughter of George Towell, one of the pioneers of Liberty township, having been married twice previously, and has a family of four children: Frank, Grace, John and George W. He was one of the organizers and charter members of the same fraternity in this township; is a member of Fountain lodge of the Knights of Pythias, and belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church. The doctor is a candidate before the republican convention for the office of auditor. During his early life he taught school, his first term being at what was known as Frog Pond school house in Washington Township. Taken from: 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana by J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill & N. Iddings, Publishers. Dr. WHW McKEY, son of Elias and Mary Harrison McKey, was born in Tennessee, July 4, 1829. He came to Annapolis with his parents in 1839. The father was one of few physicians in Parke County at that time. He received his early education at the district school and later at Bloomingdale Academy. In 1867 he moved to Sugar Creek township and located on a farm near Russell’s Mills, where he acquired a large practice. He was elected township trustee in 1880. He died on his farm several years ago. Taken from the Historical Sketch of Parke Co Atlas of IN Centennial, 1816-1916, Page 115
R. H. W. McKEY, M. D., whose home is on Section 16, Sugar Creek Township, Parke County studied medicine with his father, who was also a physician and in addition to that learned dentistry under Dr. McMillan of Clinton but on account of poor health was obliged to abandon professional work for a time. Of late years he has practiced medicine, principally in the northern part of the county. Since 1867, he has resided on his farm, which comprises 96 acres. He also owns another tract of 70 acres, both places being well improved and developed. For six years he served his township as trustee, and has always been found on the side of progress. His first vote was cast for Abraham Lincoln, since which time he has firmly stood by the Republican Party. The doctor is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, which organization he joined about 30 years ago at Harveysburg, and afterward was one of the charter members of the lodges of Annapolis and Marshall. He also belongs to the Knights of Pythias at Kingman. Our subject was born in Monroe County, Tennessee July 4, 1829 and is a son of Elias and Mary HARRISON McKey. Our subject's paternal grandparents were Benjamin and Mary HICKEY McKey, the former a native of Kentucky and of Scotch-Irish parentage. His general occupation through life was that of a farmer. He removed to Tennessee later to Indiana and finally to Platte County, Missouri where he died. He reared a family of eight children, five sons three daughters only two of whom are now living. Politically, hew as a Whig and strong Anti-Slavery man. Our subject's father was born in Kentucky in 1804; he removed with his parents to Tennessee and there married the daughter of Greenwood Harrison. She was born in Tennessee in 1804, there being only a few months' difference between her age and that of her husband. In 1829, Elias McKey emigrated to Indiana, locating at Crawfordsville, Montgomery County where for a few years he followed his trade of a carpenter. Becoming more ambitious, he began the study of medicine under Dr. Thomas CURREY. In 1839, he removed to Annapolis, Parke County where he followed his profession until his death in 1860. He had a wide practice in the northern part of the county and was favorably known. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics he was formerly a Whig and afterward became a Republican. In the early days he was in the Land Office of Crawfordsville and was Deputy Sheriff of Montgomery County at one time. He was a good citizen and took up arms in the defense of the pioneers during the Black Hawk War. Elias and Mary McKey were the parents of 10 children: Minerva G, who died; Harriet C, wife of George W. MARIS; Susan, deceased, wife of A.T. KELLY; Catherine C, who first married Scott STANLEY and afterward Isaac BRANSON; Elzina, who died while young; our subject 3rd in order of birth; and the others, James B; Daniel W; Phineas and Erasmus, who are all deceased. When about 18 the subject of this sketch started out to make his own livelihood, though he resided under the parental roof until his marriage. He received a good literary education in the Bloomingdale Academy where he prepared himself for a teacher and afterwards taught for about 12 terms in Parke County. At the time of the war he was engaged as a clerk in Annapolis, and there being so much demand for physicians and surgeons, he concluded to become one himself and after finishing his studies as related above, came in 1867 to his present home, where he has built up a good practice and an enviable reputation. The marriage of Dr. McKey was celebrated in 1860 with Patience P. ANDREWS and to them were born: Phineas, deceased; Frank E; Grace G; John S and Edgar L, deceased. After the death of Mrs. McKey, the Dr. wedded Martha E. MUSGROVE, by whom he had one child, Lizzie, who died in infancy. After her death, our subject was united in marriage with Miss Sarah, daughter of George and Mary TOWELL. Mrs. McKey was born in Parke County; and is the mother of 3 children: George W, deceased; A.D. and Mary A. The family is held in the highest regard in this vicinity where they all number many warm friends. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 187
Charles L. McMASTERS, dealer in grain, coal and seeds and a popular young man of Tuscola was born on a farm 3 miles northwest of Tuscola, in Tuscola Township, March 26, 1867 and is a son of S. L. and Hannah Maris McMasters who were natives of Parke County, Indiana. In 1869 his father sold his farm and removed to Sand Springs, Kansas where he followed farming and stock raising until his death in May 1870 after which his mother, with three children, two sons and one daughter -- Charles being the younger removed to Winfield, Cowley County, Kansas where she resided until the Spring of 1877 thence moving to Joplin, Jasper County, Missouri where she died October 3 of that same year. In March 1878 Charles being only in his 11th year returned to Tuscola to live with his uncle, James Davis. Here he went to school until February 1886 when he began a clerk for Davis & Finney, in the grain business and remained their bookkeeper and confidential clerk up to 1888 when Mr. Davis died. The firm was then succeeded by Finney & McMasters which business continued up to 1891 when Mr. McMasters bought the interest of his partner and since then has been alone. He is now in the midst of what promises to be a most successful business career. He buys and sells about 250,000 bushels of grain annually and also deals in coal for the local trade. Mr. McMasters has thrice been elected to the office of city treasurer belongs to the Masonic and Red Men Fraternities and is deservedly popular in business and social circles. - Gresham, John M. Historical and biographical record of Douglas County, Illinois. Logansport, Ind.: From press of Wilson, Humphreys & Company, 1900, Page 126
McMILLEN, William L., farmer, Rockville, is the son of William McMillen, and was born in Parke County, May 27, 1835. His father was born in Christian County, Kentucky in 1806 and died in San Jose, Calif. In 1877. He was a whit and afterward a republican, a carpenter, and a member of the Presbyterian Church. His wife was also a member of the same church. She died in 1842. Mr. Mc began life in limited circumstances. He first learned the carpenter trade and followed that until he was 25 and then went into a hardware and agricultural store in Rockville, in partnership with John OTT and continued in that business till January 1880, when he moved to his present residence. He sustained considerable loss in the fire of 1870. It is the testimony of his partner and his friends that he was thoroughly honest and trustworthy in all hi business transactions. Mr. Mc enlisted and served 6 months in the 133rd Ind. Vol. He did good duty and had a good record as a soldier. Mr. Mc was first married to Mary E. STARK, daughter of W. Stark. She died March 7, 1872. He was again married, September 1, 1874 to Sibyl A. HOBBS the accomplished daughter of Hon. BC Hobbs. She was born September 1, 1852. They have 3 children: Frank H, Alice G and William L. Mrs. McMillen is a lady of good education and true womanly qualities. Her father has had quite a distinguished career as an educator. He was state superintendent of public instruction for two and a half years; pres. Of Earlham College, principal of Bloomingdale Academy and has traveled in Europe through Scotland, England, Ireland, Germany and Russia; was gone about one and a half years. He also did much toward the establishment of the State Normal. He was appointed by the state to visit the normal schools of the US and determine the best plan for the school. He is a Quaker and a republican. Mr. Mc M is a member of the Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a republican and is a straightforward, Christian gentleman
McMURTRY , John S., farmer, Judson, was born in Grant County, Kentucky August 23, 1799. His father was Alexander and his mother Polly SMITH McMurtry. Mr. McMurtry remained at home working on his father's farm until 20 years of age. He was the eldest of a family of 10 children. He went to live with his uncle, who was quite a large landowner, and attended to his business for a number of years. In 1825, he came with his uncle to Parke County, and they entered land on Section23 and after building a log cabin they returned to Kentucky and in 1827 Mr. McMurtry ret. to Parke co and entered 380 acres in Section15 and bought 180 acres, and October5, 1831, he moved with his family (wife and two children) to this co. He was married in Kentucky August 23, 1827 to Margaret McKee, a native of that state born February 1, 1801. She died in this county July 15, 1876. His family consists of five children, now living: Mary, wife of R.C. McWilliams; Alexander; David; John; James H. and one deceased, Margaret. Mr. McMurtry has held the office of justice of the peace for a number of years, also served as county commissioner and as deputy sheriff about two years. He served the people of Washington Township. one term as trustee, and in 1841 he was elected land appraiser of the county. he has faithfully discharged all the duties devolving upon him as an officer, and by his honest dealings he has gained the respect of the citizens of Parke Co. Although he is now in his 81st year he has a very retentive memory, and can converse on any subject as easily as a much younger man. (Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill)
McMURTRY , John S. was born in Grant County, Kentucky August 23, 1799. He came with his uncle to Parke Co. and settled on a farm in Wash. Township in 1825. He entered 380 acres and bout 180 acres of land in 1831. His children born in Parke Co. were Mary A, who was married to RC McWilliams; Alexander R; David; John S; James H and Margaret. John S, who resides at Marshall in the only survivor. In 1841, he was elected land appraiser and served a term as Township. Trustee, co. Commissioner and for several years justice of the peace. (1816-1916 Historical Sketch of Parke Co., Parke Co. Centennial Memorial. The Rockville Chautauqua Association; published with other atlases in one-volume by the Parke Co. Historical Society, 1996 )
William S. McMURTRY, M. D., son of William and Priscilla Sharp McMurtry was born in Mercer County Kentucky August 24, 1818. The parents of both were among the first settlers of Kentucky. In 1825 the subject of this sketch removed with his parents to Parke County, Indiana where he was reared and educated. He was raised in the woods until 15 years of age with a very limited education; what little he had acquired was obtained in a log cabin, Pike's arithmetic and Webster's spelling book being the only text books in use there. Such a book as a geography, grammar, penmanship book or dictionary was unknown. When 15 he went to Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Indiana. After this he attended the State University at Bloomington for 18 months. In 1838 he began the study of medicine in Rockville, Indiana with Drs. Tulley and Allen. In the winter of 1839-40 he attended the first course of lectures at the Miami University Medical College, Cincinnati, and in the winter of 1840-41 attended the Louisville Institute and took a full course of lectures. Up to this time he had made such progress that Dr. Tulley, one of his preceptors, took him into partnership. The next season because of the severity of the climate in Indiana, he concluded to go to Mississippi. Arriving in that State he located in Benton, in January 1843. The next winter he attended another full course of lectures at Louisville at which institution he graduated in the spring of 1844, at the head of a class of 45. He then returned to Mississippi and practiced medicine very successfully until the commencement of the Mexican War, when he concluded to have a little adventure in the way of variety in life, and helped to organize a company that went out in the regiment of MS Rifles, commanded by Jeff Davis as Colonel. The company having been organized before the call for troops from Washington had reached Mississippi, and there being delay, he finally became impatient upon learning that they were to go as infantry, and concluded to take his chances in striking something in a different direction and mounted his horse and rode away, and finally found and joined a body of mounted men known as "Texas Rangers," commanded by Col. Jack Hays, the noted Indian fighter. He continued under his command till the battle of Monterey occurred, in which battle he participated under General Worth who commanded the right wing. He accompanied a party in storming the "Bishop's Palace" when the assault was made up the steep slope right under the works of the enemy carrying everything before them and driving the Mexicans into the city and there, coming in contact with the army of General Taylor, the Mexicans were surrounded. His three months' service of enlistment having expired, he went home and afterward joined another company of Texas Rangers and remained in their service until 1848. After being mustered out he located at Baton Rouge, Louisiana for the purpose of practicing medicine and had hardly got settled down to practice when the California gold fever broke out. A party of 30 was organized, he being one of the number, and came to California by way of Mexico. At Mazatlan they engaged passage on a sailing vessel and reached San Francisco in 30 days arriving there May 24, 1849. He at once went to the mines near Sacramento locating at Horse Shoe Bar. He worked in the mines with the usual luck -sometimes making money and other times without success and finally, in 1857, he went to Grass Valley and engaged in quartz mining. In 1858 he went to Santa Clara County and located at Lexington and engaged in the lumber business until 1868, when he settled at Los Batos, where he still resides. In 1863 he was elected State Senator for Santa Clara County and served one term. In the spring of 1864 he was elected a delegate to the Republican National Convention at Baltimore, which renominated Abraham Lincoln for the presidency. While in the East he visited the Army of the Potomac. The base of supplies was established at the White House during the battle of Cold Harbor as it was at this time when he was there. He went around with the Sanitary Committee attending to the disabled and was with them at City Point at the commencement of the investment of Petersburg. He soon after returned to California and has since resided at his beautiful home in Los Gatos. He is now the oldest resident of that place. He was married November 17, 1858 to Ellen Headen of the town of Santa Clara. - Pen Pictures from the Garden of the World." (Santa Clara, California. Chicago: Lewis Publishing, 1888, p 619
McWILLIAMS , Dudley, farmer, Rockville, was born in Madison County Kentucky December15, 1836. In 1855, he went to MO where he engaged in farming and stock raising. In 1869, he came to Parke Co where he has since followed the same business. He is now the owner of the old Charles OVERMAN farm, on which he has made a great many improvements. In 1867, he was married to Amanda ELDER, daughter of James Elder, one of the prominent early settlers of Parke County, and by this union they have 3 children: William E; Nannie and John C. Mr. McWilliams is a member of the Masonic fraternity and in politics is a democrat. (Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill) Note: Dudley McWilliams is buried in the Elder Cemetery, just E. of Co. Rd. #223 and is a poorly cared for burial ground -- 12-15-1836 to 7-14-1924)
Dudley McWilliams. Parke County is the home of a great number of men who are gaining a livelihood by tilling the soil and whose work is being carried on systematically and energetically. The home of the gentleman whose name introduces these paragraphs is on Section 16, Washington Township, where he ranks among the most prominent of the section. He was born December 15, 1836, Madison County Kentucky to John C. and Nancy Hockaday McWilliams. The former parent was born in Madison o Kentucky 1792. His parents were natives of Virginia and early pioneers of Kentucky. His education was limited and though the advantages which he enjoyed were not equal to those of the present day, they were sufficient to give him a practical understanding of important branches and fit him for the business transactions which lay before him. He served as Colonel in the black Hawk War under General Harrison. He married in Kentucky, where he and his wife reared a family of 9 children, and when his children were grown in 1855 emigrated with his family to Clinton County MO. Our subject was 8th in order of birth. Other: James H; Richard C; Schuyler N; John Q A; Samuel H; Elizabeth (deceased); Sidney and Nancy, wife of James Hinshaw. April 18, 1856, the father passed away. His wife still survives him spending her declining years with her children and is now nearing her 100th year. John McWilliams was a farmer all his life and engaged in raising stock, which he shipped to the Southern States. In politics, he was a Whig, but later cast his vote with the Democratic Party, which led him to be placed in several different official positions in Kentucky. He was a member of the Baptist Church and was a man of pure character and lofty principles. Dudley McWilliams remained at home until 22 when he began farming in his own interests in Missouri. Here he devoted his energies to farming and at the age of 31 married Amanda Madora, a daughter of James and Sarah Elder. This lady proved to be all our subject had expected in his choice of a helpmate. She was an excellent manager and by unremitting zeal assisted her husband to carry forward his life work. His first purchase comprised 160 acres of land in Parke County on which he now makes his home. Besides this he has improved other tracts until he now has possession of 230 acres of partially improved land. He at once entered upon the arduous task of developing a good farm and has always been a very industrious man, feeling a commendable pride in the part which he has taken in the opening of the new sections. To himself and wife were born 3 children: William E; Nanna and John. Mr. and Mrs. McWilliams were influential members of the Baptist church of the neighborhood in which faith the latter passed away August 29, 1891. The former was also a worker in the same church and has always been in politics a stanch Democrat. When the late war broke out our subject entered the Confederate Army, Company D, 1st Missouri Regiment. He was in engagements at Carthage, Springfield and Lexington Missouri and was taken prisoner at Danville, Illinois and kept in Camp Butler for 3 weeks. While sick at home he was a 2nd time captured and carried to Cameron where the Union soldier tried to compel him to inform them regarding the killing of a man named Fredrel. Mr. McWilliams deserves great credit for his success in life, and his experience serves as an excellent lesson to the youth of today whose advantages for advancement are so far superior to those he possessed. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties IN. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 399
McWILLIAMS , R. C., farmer and stock dealer, Marshall, was born in Madison County Kentucky June 11, 1821. He is the son of John C. and Nancy HOCKADAY McWilliams. His father was of Scott descent, and Virginia born. Mr. R. C. McWilliams remained at home until 21 years of age. At that age he engaged in the stock business with his uncles and he being the youngest of the firm, it fell upon him to take the stock to market and dispose of it. Their market was in the southern states and being a good trader and a man of good judgment, he was not long in getting a good knowledge of the business. In this way he has been able since he came to Parke Co in 1845 to accumulate a fine property of 270 acres of well improved land, which is under a high state of cultivation. He began without anything. In 1851, Mr. McWilliams was married to Miss Mary A. McMurtry, daughter of John S. McMurtry, of Parke Co. (Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill)
Richard C. McWilliams, now living in retirement in one of the attractive homes of Rockville, though not one of the earliest settlers of Parke County may be considered one of its pioneers, as his work as a shrewd practical farmer when in active business was a help in developing the soil and making this a prosperous agricultural community. Mr. McWilliams was born in Madison County, Kentucky June 11, 1821 to John C. and Nancy McWilliams. The father was born and reared in Madison County and his father of Scotch descent and the husband of a Miss Cleveland. Our subject's father was as tock-dealer and farmer in Madison County, Kentucky having in his possession a number of slaves. He was married to Miss Nancy Hockaday of the same county as himself. She was the daughter of James and Betsy Hockaday. Mr. McWilliams the father of our subject was a brave soldier in the War of 1812, serving two terms during which time he was made Captain of his company. In the fall of 1856 he moved to Missouri and located in Clinton County, on 60 acres of land. Here were born to himself and wife 9 children, 7 of whom are living. He was considered a very successful farmer in his day and made his life a reputable one. Richard McWilliams was reared in his native county where he received his education and there commenced for himself in life. In the beginning of the year 1847 he went on a trading expedition in which he was very prosperous and in 1851 moved to Washington Township, Parke Co where he resided but a short time and then married. He chose for a companion on life's journey, Miss Mary McMurtry who was born in Garrett County, Kentucky to John and Margaret McMurtry. Mrs. McWilliams was quite young when her parents came to Indiana and located in Washington Township. After her marriage to our subject they resided on the farm that Mr. McWilliams had previously purchased and by careful management and hard work in 31 years they had accumulated land to the amount of 300 acres; besides a tract of 135 acres in Missouri. In 1881 Mr. McWilliams sold all his land in Washington Township and came to Rockville where he purchased a fine and commodious residence which he has since made his home. While a farmer Mr. McWilliams was very successful as a general agriculturalist and stock dealer but since he moved to this place he has sold his estate. He is now a member of the company that owns the Opera House block in the town and is also interested in the County Fair, having used his influence to further the interests of that enterprise for 30 years. He has also been identified with the Parke County. Agricultural Society being a faithful member of the State Board of Agriculture for two years when he entered his resignation to that association. Mr. McWilliams is a self-made man and his career illustrates what may be accomplished by determination, perseverance and a capacity for hard work, seconded by native shrewdness and a good insight into business matters. He has not only proved himself a man of thorough honesty, but also an obliging neighbor and helpful citizen. He takes an active part in everything pertaining to agricultural pursuits, and has been prominently identified with the county fairs held at Russellville, Bridgeton and Bloomingdale. In politics he is a Democrat, which ticket he has voted since 1856, having cast his vote for the candidates of the Whig party previous to that time. he and his amiable wife are progressive people and occupy high places in the community, where they are well know, where their cordial, unaffected and hospitable manners have won them the warm regard of all with whom they associate. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, Page 432
McWILLIAMS, W. E. - There are several business houses in the city of Crawfordsville that are not only thoroughly typical of the comprehensive growth and increasing importance of the place, but also distinctly a source of public pride, delineating as they do the general business enterprise and commercial sagacity of some of our leading citizens. Such an establishment is the McWilliams Furniture Company of which WE McWilliams one of the most thorough going, enterprising business men of Montgomery County is the head. He is widely known throughout this locality, having spent the major portion of his life in this section of the Wabash Valley country, although a native of the land of the "big muddy water," but he was brought to an adjoining county when a child and his manhood years have been passed in this part of Hoosierdom. He has displayed excellent judgment and more than ordinary business acumen. He gives almost his entire attention and thought to his business enterprise, is careful and exact in his transactions and has the pleasantest relations with his patrons and the general public. W.E. McWILLIAMS was born in Clinton County, Missouri, August 8, 1868. He is a son of Dudley & Dora ELDER McWilliams, who removed to Parke County, Indiana when our subject was 12 in the year 1870 (sic), and there the family continued to reside until 1908 when the father removed to Center Point, Texas where he still resides. He has devoted his life successfully to agricultural pursuits and is known as a man of industry and honestly wherever he has lived. Politically, he is a Democrat and is fraternal affairs belongs to the Masonic Order. WE McWilliams grew to manhood on the home farm in Parke County and there assisted with the general work during the crop seasons and in the winter time he attended the common schools. He began life for himself by farming and stock raising, handling mules, horses and other stock of a good grade and was successful from the start, carrying on general farming in connection with handling live stock. His place was located near Marshall and there he continued operations until 1908 when he came to Crawfordsville and bought out GW Newlin's furniture store and he has since been engaged in this line of business with ever increasing success. He carries one of the finest lines of complete furnishings, carpets, rugs, stoves, etc to be found in Western Indiana, showing at all seasons an up-to-date and carefully selected stock, and he draws his hundreds of patrons from all over the county, for here they know they will receive uniform, courteous and honest treatment. His place of business is located on Washington Street and is known as the McWilliams Furniture Company. He carries a stock that would invoice between 10 thousand and 15 thousand dollars at all times and he has been very successful in a financial way. Mr. McWilliams is a public-spirited man and always aids any movement which has for its object the betterment of his city or county. Fraternally, he belongs to the Tribe of Ben Hur, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and until recently was a member of the Knights of Pythias. - A. W. Bowen History of Montgomery County, Indiana (Indianapolis, 1913) Page 814